Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flir xt2 vs Mylar space blanket

Very interesting. The Military just signed a large contract with a company to create a cover for ground crew to have a similar impact. I am interested to see what the opposite side of the blanket would look like. I am assuming that they are not the same material

OK, so I watched the video again and at the end you can clearly see the back side of the cover, however it is the same as the front. My guess is because Aluminium Mylar has an emissivity of .044. Correct me if I'm wrong Thermographers.

OK, so I watched the video again and at the end you can clearly see the back side of the cover, however it is the same as the front. My guess is because Aluminium Mylar has an emissivity of .044. Correct me if I'm wrong Thermographers.

I am not a thermographer, but my understanding is that this material has such low emissivity it essentially reflects the thermal radiation of the surrounding environment, much like a mirror.

What’s the opposite of emissivity? Reflectivity?

The mylar is the same on both sides. While it blocks IR or thermal transfer through the material from the warm body target, it also reflects on the other side the surrounding IR and further eliminate any IR detection from that covered target. Just as you could shield the same body behind glass, it just does not pass IR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph01