Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fly-aways in Australia

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a common link between all of the fly-away problems people are having.

I understand that more owners are in the US than in Australia, but would like to hear from any Australian owners that have had these problems?

I have had mine for about a month, and flown for just over 3 hours at 28km. Not a single problems, save for one compass error when I tried to take off from a quarry (I'm guessing metal deposits in the ground were to blame for that).

Touch wood, I have never had a fly-away or anything close to it.

How are all the other Australian Inspires fairing?

The only times I have had close to flyaway, is when I calibrated the drone in wrong places. It has been on the streets with steel drain pipe below or places with much interference.

However, I've learned this before I got my Inspire, with my Phantom 2, but I have seen that there are many who acquire it as their first drone.
Then will also beginner's mistakes come with the Inspire. I would think it is an expensive drone to learn on, but guess they have money .. :)

Interesting... Could it be a hemisphere related issue? It may be a long shot, as I'm not all up in technology behind this stuff...

I had a fly away with mine on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. That was refunded and I brought another.

Yeah I get about 10 seconds of toilet bowling during the first flight in a new location. Always settles quickly though.

Had 2 Inspire 1's in Sydney, both subject to regular drops from GPS to ATTI, after 2-3 mins of flight following a compass realignment. After that seems mostly ok and now plan for it to happen. Have successfully got them back under control other than one time when one unit went into a tree during fly-away as the wind was stronger and things happened too quick. So it is a potential problem in OZ.

Where I fly there is minimum buildings...highways.....traffic....residential white noise...actually almost the middle of nowhere.
Could be a overflow of "suberb" noise...there would be a lot of rc 2.4ghz users in the suberbs...every kid has a rc 2.4ghz something or other.
...................... or........................
may be far fetched....maybe the world geo sats are told to be less effective in some area's .....more so than others .
They who control the sats have the power to concentrate sats where they want them to be most effective......I bet I am not on the important list.
Now back to reality.
....Pete

may be far fetched....maybe the world geo sats are told to be less effective in some areas .....more so than others .
They who control the sats have the power to concentrate sats where they want them to be most effective......I bet I am not on the important list.
Now back to reality.
You were right when you said far fetched.
The G in GPS stands for global.
The satellites are set to provide the best worldwide coverage - not to concentrate them over any particular location.

You were right when you said far fetched.
The G in GPS stands for global.
The satellites are set to provide the best worldwide coverage - not to concentrate them over any particular location.

Brought to you by the United States Department of Defense (if that provides a clue)

So what you guys are saying is the GPS system is perfect! An OLD satelite service gives perfect results everywhere on the Globe?

Well maybe it does for military grade GPS systems but I doubt the consumer level GPS in the Inspire 1 is as perfect as MIL Spec GPS systems.

So what you guys are saying is the GPS system is perfect! An OLD satelite service gives perfect results everywhere on the Globe?

Well maybe it does for military grade GPS systems but I doubt the consumer level GPS in the Inspire 1 is as perfect as MIL Spec GPS systems.
agree. we will never ever get something more precice since civilians are always a potential threat and terrorism as it gets hammered into our heads being constatly around us making us think its there all the time plus governments making it impossible for us to have freedom we will, unless not in the military not see better stuff than what we have at the moment...
might be pulled from far away but that is what i see with time passing by and me getting older seeing this world different every day...
no offence ment to anyone and this is my personal opinion.

Good answer Meta4 and DCGOO..now we can eliminate the los of sat signal from the sky.
Now we look at loss of signal from the air borne receiver ..
1...possibly increase separation / distance between the sensitive on board components.
2...incorrect placement or position of GPS receiver on the model ,partial blocking signal reception
3...GPS signal interruption from ground based frequency's.
4...GPS signal degradation from local ground based objects like buildings...vehicles...magnetic/metal objects.
5...pilots not completing required set up proceedures before flying
Another far fetched question....can a mobile phone in the Inspire pilots pocket create any of the above loss of GPS signal.
The cell phone has a GPS receiver/blue tooth and WFi connections active and from what I have seen the current APP's on cell phones can be active at any time looking for updates/connections.
Possibly a source of interuptions to a GPS signal ...yes/no.
6.....software count of required stat's to maintain a positive lock set too high so when stat's come in and out of view the sat count decreases for "a time" until the next sat comes into view and returns the sat count to the preset number required to maintain a positive lock.?????
Many pilots with this problem have reported that the model comes in and out of atti and opti modes while flying...hence the sat count drops below the software requirement to "hold" the opti mode.????
( On my fpv auto pilots osd you can see the stat count on the screen ....and it does vary considerably during any given flight.)
Look forward to further corrections to my far fetched idea's.
...Pete

Another far fetched question....can a mobile phone in the Inspire pilots pocket create any of the above loss of GPS signal.
Possibly a source of interuptions to a GPS signal ...yes/no.
No .. a phone (or anything else) in your pocket will have no effect on the satellite reception of your Inspire up in the air.

Here are some thoughts on a few of your points
2...incorrect placement or position of GPS receiver on the model ,partial blocking signal reception
Orientation of the GPS antenna doesn't matter. If the antenna is blocked it will be blocked all the time.

3...GPS signal interruption from ground based frequencies.
Extremely unlikely

4...GPS signal degradation from local ground based objects like buildings...vehicles...magnetic/metal objects.
Signal blocking (not degradation) will occur if you fly in a canyon, beside a cliff, tree tall building or anything that blocks the sky. Most flying is done up in clear air so this is not much of a worry.

Because lots of people don't understand GPS it gets the blame for a lot of things it has nothing to do with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Moran

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84