Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying (briefly) in the Siberian cold snap at -20°C

We use 2 of the 7 inch crystal sky normal brightness panels.
They are good, you see more than enough even in these super bright conditions. the batteries also last a long time. However I was never super happy with the picture quality on the slave contoller monitor, subjectivity it seems to have been better on the iPad, but that might just be me...

We use 2 of the 7 inch crystal sky normal brightness panels.
They are good, you see more than enough even in these super bright conditions. the batteries also last a long time. However I was never super happy with the picture quality on the slave contoller monitor, subjectivity it seems to have been better on the iPad, but that might just be me...
Ok

Couldn`t resist going out for a quick flight in this most unusual weather. The gear could handle it, but myself and my pilot Pete bailed out after about half an hour, that`s why the film is rather short.

Now this is the kind of thing UAVs are made for that shows our planet well! Lovely shots w/ a simple yet effective music track!

Frozen boogers, well worth it! Thanks for sharing and great job!

Nicely done. The snowflake on the lens....argh.... I bet that drove you nuts. I've had entire production crews halt in their tracks and reset because of a single drop of water on the lens.

Regarding Crystal Sky... I've been using FatShark goggles with great success. I absolutely love them. I put a long tether on the iPad and hand it to the DP. So far, this work flow has worked extremely well.

Again, nice work.

Question: I assume you monitored your battery temperature. Is it safe to assume the battery stayed warm during flight? Do you remember the nominal battery temp during flight?

D

We kept the batteries in our down jackets before flying, this is important because if you start warm they rarely have problems and they should stay above 15 °c. If you put cold batteries on in this temp they wont warm up unless you hover and that can be dangerous.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
We kept the batteries in our down jackets before flying, this is important because if you start warm they rarely have problems and they should stay above 15 °c. If you put cold batteries on in this temp they wont warm up unless you hover and that can be dangerous.

Thanx. That's good information to have. Logically, it seems a battery that's in almost perpetual danger of over-heating due to tremendous current draw could at least HOLD the heat it already had at the beginning of a flight. The "down jacket" idea is a good one. Thanx!

I took this photo during a world record altitude flight. As you can see, even in absolute zero, the battery held its heat.

EarthApp.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Shamus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207