Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying in the rain (or British Summer)

We all have our own budgets and what you do that might crash your Inspire as long as there are no danger to others is your business. I have been flying in moist and through frozen fog like I did here: SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity . Wrote some about it here to : SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

There is for sure some danger to this kind of flying so I never fly close to where the drone might spin out of control and go so far it will hit people. It might be a other factor like engine fail that will do the same but then you usually can turn of the engines with the RC and with tears in your eyes see it fall straight down to the ground...

We all have our own budgets and what you do that might crash your Inspire as long as there are no danger to others is your business. I have been flying in moist and through frozen fog like I did here: SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity . Wrote some about it here to : SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

There is for sure some danger to this kind of flying so I never fly close to where the drone might spin out of control and go so far it will hit people. It might be a other factor like engine fail that will do the same but then you usually can turn of the engines with the RC and with tears in your eyes see it fall straight down to the ground...
I always avoid fog, since I am very mindful of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the blades can cause a rapid drop in temperature and cause icing even in ambient temperatures above freezing.
The moisture content in the air then turn to ice crystals and sticks to the props. What follows then is not pretty. :eek:

I always avoid fog, since I am very mindful of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the blades can cause a rapid drop in temperature and cause icing even in ambient temperatures above freezing.
The moisture content in the air then turn to ice crystals and sticks to the props. What follows then is not pretty. :eek:

I agree. But when you need to film for commercial usage and they ask for this kind of material you go the extra mile. Then again its payed work and the equipment is insured. :)

Reactions: Ikopta
I agree. But when you need to film for commercial usage and they ask for this kind of material you go the extra mile. Then again its payed work and the equipment is insured. :)
These are out takes from a commercial shoot. Production Co were covering if Inspire went down in the rain as they wanted the shot. Only damage, if you can call it that, were strange rust marks on the controller next day. I have other footage thats just hogs-whatsit, water on the lens, not much you can do when its 30m up in the air over water. That for me is why NOT to fly in wet/damp conditions, the end Images are sh*@, unless it's a newsworthy, or unmissable event.

These are out takes from a commercial shoot. Production Co were covering if Inspire went down in the rain as they wanted the shot. Only damage, if you can call it that, were strange rust marks on the controller next day. I have other footage thats just hogs-whatsit, water on the lens, not much you can do when its 30m up in the air over water. That for me is why NOT to fly in wet/damp conditions, the end Images are sh*@, unless it's a newsworthy, or unmissable event.
I agree. There is a special solution for high end cameras and I think its for RED´s and you need a rig where they place a "sphere" around that creates a wind stream that pushes much of the water away from the lens. I have seen this in use only when its been mounted on a Helicopter and searched for it but never found it again. They said it was good but required speed you could not pan much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela