Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Flying near airport-- part 107

Reaction score
working on studying for my PIC exam. Looking at Part 107 5.8.1 it would appear that we do not have to notify an airport located in Class G airspace of operations any longer. Thus eliminating the infamous 5 mile rule. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I can certainly appreciate that notifying a local airport of flights is good routine for everyone concerned but it might not be required any longer. See below for txt
5.8.1 Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions. Unless the flight is
conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to
operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC
must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas.
The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may
interfere with operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or
helipads. Furthermore, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft,
including aircraft operating on the surface of the airport.

All major airports have the 5 mile limit still imposed.....even if its in the Class G airspace. Altho the way this is written its a bit ambiguous.....hate that.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a reference for the 5 mile rule? My thought process is that 107 goes into effect on Monday and at that time 5.8.1 is valid.
My local airport is 4.7 miles from my home and is in class G hate to have to tell them every time I fly. They would get tired of hearing from me. ;) I know a can get a written agreement from them for that.

Catvet,

You are correct in how you are reading Part 107. You must not interfere with the manned aircraft traffic at the airport, but there is no requirement to contact anyone. There is nothing ambiguous about it at all.

Small towered airports are generally Class D and then you do need permission from the tower. Same with Class B and Class C airport. Everything is now based on airspace rather than some ambiguous distance.

The no-fly areas that exist in DJI app are made up by DJI best I can tell. They seem to not be based on any regulation I am aware of. Seems that DJI thinks these limits are a good idea so they have created them on their own.

Since they are not base on any regulation, I do not expect them to go away with the regulation change on Monday.

Of course Part 107 is only for certified remote pilots, which currently there is exactly zero certified at this time.

Dave,

Thanks. Glad to hear someone agrees with my interpretation :) I'm hoping to pass my exam on Wednesday and get my certification as soon as the FAA will allow. I'm beginning to just stare at the study info rather than read it.

the funny thing about the 5 mile rule was that officially it wasn't a 'no fly' zone for 333 exempt pilots. The rule (which falls under part 101) states that if you fly within 5 miles of a controlled airport, you must get approval from and work with the tower.

Most control towers are happy to work with me under my 333. The major airports are not usually. Even though they're not supposed to prohibit you flying except under a temporary traffic restriction.

That being said you also need a 2 way aircraft radio to keep in touch with the tower while flying, which I do.

So the same rule applies when flying under 107.

For non licensed ops, the 5 mile zone IS a no fly zone I believe.

Steve
Thanks. I agree that flying near a towered airport is a whole different experience. Fortunately most of my flying is around non-towered fields in Class G airspace. It appears in my situation, once I am certified, I don't need to contact anyone to fly.
Having a radio to keep track of what is happening is always a good idea.

the funny thing about the 5 mile rule was that officially it wasn't a 'no fly' zone for 333 exempt pilots. The rule (which falls under part 101) states that if you fly within 5 miles of a controlled airport, you must get approval from and work with the tower.

Most control towers are happy to work with me under my 333. The major airports are not usually. Even though they're not supposed to prohibit you flying except under a temporary traffic restriction.

That being said you also need a 2 way aircraft radio to keep in touch with the tower while flying, which I do.

So the same rule applies when flying under 107.

For non licensed ops, the 5 mile zone IS a no fly zone I believe.

Steve, Part 101 is for moored ballots, kites, amateur rockets and unmanned free balloons. I am not sure what part of this regulation you think applies to Part 107, but I do not see any justification that references the 5 SM rule that DJI has created.

More significantly they have created a 1 1/2 mile No fly area that can not be turned off at some untowered fields. These are restricting that have no mean what so ever and seem to just be made up by DJI without considering the regulations then or now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradeepnama123