Flying with batteries

Reaction score
Hi. I am traveling with 6 Inspire batteries, not an insignificant investment. I have a multi-tool which has no knife, and is TSA approved. I flew with it about 10 times. A few weeks ago, a TSA agent confiscated it. I had no recourse.

Is there any documentation you know of that I can print out and show to an agent who decides that I can't board with plane with my batteries?

Thank you all!

JonnyVermont

Assume there are no more than 2 TB48's within your 6? Otherwise they WILL get seized (assuming the particular TSA individual knows what they are looking at)

In Australia we have an App issued by CASA (= FAA) which will inform you what you can take onboard an commercial airline, including drone (any Lipo Batteries), etc. I can screen shot that page if you like.

As for your multi tool, then I assume it has a screwdriver, scissors, etc which are banned. I never carry that onboard and I always check it in as cargo hold.

I traveled with 6 TB 48's had to split them 2 each with my wife and daughter to get on the plane

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore
What did the TSA say initially? Did you have them in LIPO bags? I'm getting ready to head to the Keys i a week with my drone and 6 TB48s so just want to be prepared

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

What did the TSA say initially? Did you have them in LIPO bags? I'm getting ready to head to the Keys i a week with my drone and 6 TB48s so just want to be prepared

I had them in my carry on. They all had the contact area taped to prevent accidental shorting. I was pulled aside after the belt scan machine. They asked to examine bag and I gave OK. Questioned what the batteries were and said I was only allowed 2 at this capacity and they are not permitted in checked luggage. I asked if I could split them up with my wife and daughter. I was given the ok and that's how we proceeded. This was at Philadelphia international. I flew to Salt Lake City and had no issues when returning to Phila.

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore

You will not be allowed to travel with 6 TB48's unless you are travelling with three people or more and you can split them amongst you.
Travelling with Inspire batteries is extremely well documented already on this forum.