Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

For the Fun - Inspire 2 Skin Wrap - Orange

Reaction score
Many "Out the Gate" ask... Why? Why would you wrap a Drone, waste the time & money?.
I'm in complete agreement with the common "objective" comment: It doesn't improve long distance Visual view or spotting... no matter the color or intensity, they ALL turn grey at distance. Although, I have seen a big improvement when flying in front of Trees or Ag Crops... the Neon Orange Improves visual spotting with dark foliage background.

Personally, My main motivation is simple... I like the color splash vs the DJI Grey colors. I like Neon Orange (Green, etc) and I like the "Look & Fit" of WrapGrade Wraps!
On my own self-justification side... It helps maintain the finish.... it's easy to peel off & replace, or remove.
On a "newer" reason... I believe I've read within new regs to fly above people, one new requirement is making the drone more visually noticeable to people.

Many have probably seen my Skin Wraps for other platforms: M2P, M2ED, M2AS, Mini's, Phantom and my Paint work on Inspire 1's.
I've been fond of the WrapGrade wraps... extremely detailed cuts, ultra thin & pliable material.
I've chatted with the WrapGrade Folks a few times encouraging them to make a design for the Inspire 2.
They recently completed the Inspire 2 Kit(s)... the Inspire 2 is offered in 5 Kits: Main Body, Struts (Legs), Boom Arms, Batteries, & RC.
My "Norm" is Neon Orange, so we went with same color for Inspire 2. I purchased the Main, Struts, and Arms. I did purchase 1 Battery Pak just to see... way to many batteries to warp.

Plus, the cool thing with the Inspire 2 Wrap, it's not 100% like most wraps... it leaves several areas unwrapped. This adds to the Contrast and over all look of Craft. I personally like the Orange & Black contrasting appearance. I was debating to stop at the Main or the Main & Struts... then applied the Arms and still liked the contrast look.

Below are photos... and added the WrapGrade Guides if interested.
1st showing the Main Wrap by itself, then added the Struts, and later the Arms. Plus threw in a WWII Mouth & Eyes for the humor!
When working WrapGrade on a custom DJI FPV Neon Camo, I asked them to make up a WWII Mouth & Eyes. They created a great Neon Camo & WWII Nose.

Enjoy the Photos, if it's not your cup of tea... feel free to express, it's all for Fun & Personal Taste.

I2 Main Wrap.jpgI2 Main and Struts.jpgI2 Full Wrap1.jpg
I2 Full Wrap2.jpgI2 Full Wrap3.jpgI2 Botom 1.jpgI2 Top1.jpgI2 Full Wrap 4 Nose.jpgI2 Compare Wrap.jpg

We wrap all our birds in Safety Orange (the air 2s we tried safety Yellow) and I disagree with your original statement that it doesn't help spotting... here in Hawaii it is extremely hard to see a phantom when it is 500+ ft from you and 200 ft up... but with the orange, you can see a speck of orange flitting across the sky... BUT the main reason we adopt this practice is... if it ever goes down it is much easier to spot (from another drone) an orange bird hiding on the lava or in the jungle than a grey one... I2, Obsidian, Mavic 2P et al.

We wrap all our birds in Safety Orange (the air 2s we tried safety Yellow) and I disagree with your original statement that it doesn't help spotting... here in Hawaii it is extremely hard to see a phantom when it is 500+ ft from you and 200 ft up... but with the orange, you can see a speck of orange flitting across the sky... BUT the main reason we adopt this practice is... if it ever goes down it is much easier to spot (from another drone) an orange bird hiding on the lava or in the jungle than a grey one... I2, Obsidian, Mavic 2P et al.
Great comments and glad to hear you’re using orange!
Have you used WrapGrade‘s Air2S wrap? The Air2 wraps great, but the Air2S nose dip and additional sensors makes that section a bit of a challenge. I wrapped a P4Pv2 in WrapGrade, it was a challenge in patience, but all fit nicely.

I’d agree with you on Color & close range (400-700 ft Sky) the Brighter colors help, especially compared to some of the DJI lighter grey. Also agree on the spotting on ground, and low horizon / low altitude dark foliage… I mentioned the Ag or valley improvement… the bright color ( I prefer neon orange) helps spot the small craft at far end of field below horizon, foliage background at 2000 ft.

At greater distance, the color has no effect. At a distance, colors become non-detectable… not my opinion, rather factually proven over the years. Military and various studies have studied this for years. Recall the Ft Rucker Training Heli’s with bright orange nose & tails… very effective close range, not detectable further out. What distance, depends on various factors (mass, cross section, sky conditions, etc) but on avg for smaller sUAV’s color is undetectable beyond 1000-1500 feet out in Sky. A Mini in stock “grey” can disappear in a few hundred feet if not watching it, wrap it in orange can increase that to 400 feet. Although a large M600Pro or M210 in stock dark black, is very visible in lighter sky easily beyond 1500-2500 feet… mass & contrast. If legs have bright orange, ya can’t see the color at that distance… becomes grey.

If visually spotting is the goal… Best for visually spotting is a set of bright creed led strobes! Like the Firehouse small Arc.

Many "Out the Gate" ask... Why? Why would you wrap a Drone, waste the time & money?.
I'm in complete agreement with the common "objective" comment: It doesn't improve long distance Visual view or spotting... no matter the color or intensity, they ALL turn grey at distance. Although, I have seen a big improvement when flying in front of Trees or Ag Crops... the Neon Orange Improves visual spotting with dark foliage background.

Personally, My main motivation is simple... I like the color splash vs the DJI Grey colors. I like Neon Orange (Green, etc) and I like the "Look & Fit" of WrapGrade Wraps!
On my own self-justification side... It helps maintain the finish.... it's easy to peel off & replace, or remove.
On a "newer" reason... I believe I've read within new regs to fly above people, one new requirement is making the drone more visually noticeable to people.

Many have probably seen my Skin Wraps for other platforms: M2P, M2ED, M2AS, Mini's, Phantom and my Paint work on Inspire 1's.
I've been fond of the WrapGrade wraps... extremely detailed cuts, ultra thin & pliable material.
I've chatted with the WrapGrade Folks a few times encouraging them to make a design for the Inspire 2.
They recently completed the Inspire 2 Kit(s)... the Inspire 2 is offered in 5 Kits: Main Body, Struts (Legs), Boom Arms, Batteries, & RC.
My "Norm" is Neon Orange, so we went with same color for Inspire 2. I purchased the Main, Struts, and Arms. I did purchase 1 Battery Pak just to see... way to many batteries to warp.

Plus, the cool thing with the Inspire 2 Wrap, it's not 100% like most wraps... it leaves several areas unwrapped. This adds to the Contrast and over all look of Craft. I personally like the Orange & Black contrasting appearance. I was debating to stop at the Main or the Main & Struts... then applied the Arms and still liked the contrast look.

Below are photos... and added the WrapGrade Guides if interested.
1st showing the Main Wrap by itself, then added the Struts, and later the Arms. Plus threw in a WWII Mouth & Eyes for the humor!
When working WrapGrade on a custom DJI FPV Neon Camo, I asked them to make up a WWII Mouth & Eyes. They created a great Neon Camo & WWII Nose.

Enjoy the Photos, if it's not your cup of tea... feel free to express, it's all for Fun & Personal Taste.

View attachment 31354View attachment 31355View attachment 31356
View attachment 31357View attachment 31358View attachment 31359View attachment 31360View attachment 31361View attachment 31364I am assuming the website for the wraps is wrapgrade.com ?

I LOVE the color. It makes it look like it's related to my Autel EVO. :cool:
Seriously though, it looks great. You did an excellent job on the application. I know that can be quite tricky. 👍

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth