Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gear Report - DJI X7 Tech Evaluation

Reaction score
Here as promised is my technical review of the new DJI Zenmuse X7 Super35 camera and 4-lenses. If you like knowing objectively how the camera performs to draw your own conclusions, watch the segment where I show the resolution charts at various fstops and isos for each lens, plus the 5x punch-ins. My thoughts and conclusions follow the chart segment around 7:40. For best viewing of the charts, watch this in 4k.

WARNING: resolution charts are not for everyone! If you only want to know my opinion, jump past the chart section of the video. ALSO, this was my first attempt at vlogging with my iPhone....Enjoy!

Cheers,
Paul
EMB Studios

Last edited:
Here as promised is my technical review of the new DJI Zenmuse X7 Super35 camera and 4-lenses. If you like knowing objectively how the camera performs to draw your own conclusions, watch the segment where I show the resolution charts at various fstops and isos for each lens, plus the 5x punch-ins. My thoughts and conclusions follow the chart segment around 7:40. For best viewing of the charts, watch this in 4k.

WARNING: resolution charts are not for everyone! If you only want to know my opinion, jump past the chart section of the video. ALSO, this was my first attempt at vlogging with my iPhone....Enjoy!

Cheers,
Paul
EMB Studios

My friend...what a wonderfully done video. Exactly the data I wanted to see. Very professional.

So in wrapping up...you think the 16mm has less distortion than the 24?

My friend...what a wonderfully done video. Exactly the data I wanted to see. Very professional.

So in wrapping up...you think the 16mm has less distortion than the 24?

It’s pretty close to the same, but the 16mm might have just a touch less. Attached are two full-size stills with some horizontal and vertical guide lines to evaluate for yourself.

http://www.embstudios.com/docs/sharedimages/DJI-X7-24mm_DJI_0077.jpg

Cheers,
Paul
EMB Studios

Why did you remove the video?

Sorry for the switcheroo. I had enough people asking for help interpreting some of the charts, particularly the wide-angle view distortion evaluation images, that I decided to make a new version of the video with better tools to help interpret the charts, plus some corrections to the chart lower-thirds. For those of you who have already viewed the video, if you could find it in your heart to visit this new version and like it on youtube, maybe subscribe to the channel if you want to see more drone and cinematography videos, I would greatly appreciate it! So without further delay the final version of this X7 Technical Review!:

Thanks for this! So you are happy with the sharpness for still photography?

Yes, I am very happy with the sharpness of the lenses for stills or video. The 300lbs gorilla in the room is the need for accurate focusing. As I said in the video, the focus knob on the Cendence is far too coarse with zero fine-control. I have the Focus Wheel 2 arriving tomorrow, so hopefully that will improve the situation.

For those who are used to smaller sensors like the 1" in the P4P & X4S, focusing is pretty easy. But as the sensors grow in size the depth of field for the same field of view becomes quite a bit more shallow.

But if you keep your iris small (f8) you should be OK as long as you are in the ball park.

I am purchasing the X7 with a new Inspire 2. Will I need to purchase the CineDNG and ProRes activation or is it included with the X7?

I am purchasing the X7 with a new Inspire 2. Will I need to purchase the CineDNG and ProRes activation or is it included with the X7?

ProRes & CinemaDNG license is not included with the X7/lenses, or with the I2. DJI has created 4 I2 combo-packages above the basic I2 kit. The top 2 combo packages included ProRes and CinemaDNG licenses.

Bear in mind, even with the ProRes and CinemaDNG licenses, you cant record in those formats without a CineSSD. And to record at full 6k resolution in those formats requires the biggest CineSSD card.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the effort on your test. Just a minor correction to your last post. 6k Raw only requires the 240gb CineSSD. Somewhere along the line, DJI dropped that limit, (which I think, is still in the marketing), but I can confirm that you can record 6k CDNG to the 240.

Barry Goyette

Reactions: Paul Nordin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi