Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimme 2 gigs, gimme 2 gigs mister...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Every once in a while I get lucky. I have a mapping gig up North, but then have a construction progress gig even further up North. So I'm taking advantage of the close proximity and packing my P4P and my Inspire 1 for both of tomorrow's gigs.

DSC06380.JPG

The P4P's are in their cases and the Inspire 1 is ready to go.
DSC06382.JPG

I have enough batteries charged up for both gigs, but I'm bringing the charger just in case. I should have my charger in a case by next gig.
DSC06384.JPG

The weather looks to be near-perfect for the entire day. Good times....

D

HAH! I just noticed you have the same Inspire landing pad I have.

The battery chargers for the P4P batteries, are those just 12v driven LiPo chargers, or are they something custom?

That reminds me, I still need to get a car charger for the Inspire 1 batteries. Unfortunately the 4-port hub from DJI only charges 1 battery at a time, but at least all 4 can be plugged in and good to go if you leave it plugged it and charging. I think I have a solution designed with a charging bag that fits inside a small cooler and then a foam "plug" to sit on top and then the top of the cooler locks in place, thus there is no possibility of the batteries becoming dislodged from the charger while in motion.

HAH! I just noticed you have the same Inspire landing pad I have.
My girlfriend got it for me for Christmas one year. Easily the most-used gift she has ever given me.

Check out the case I made for it. It's just a simple piece of 8" PVC I got at Lowes. I didn't even have to cut it. I just drilled a couple holes and added the rope. The case's diameter is wide enough that it stands up. So when I'm done for the day, I just roll up the landing pad and slip it inside the case and then adjust the landing pad to balance the load. It's flawless. One of my better designs.

DSC06396.JPG
The battery chargers for the P4P batteries, are those just 12v driven LiPo chargers, or are they something custom?
They are 900 watt step-up converter power supplies out of China. I paid a little under $23/each.

That reminds me, I still need to get a car charger for the Inspire 1 batteries. Unfortunately the 4-port hub from DJI only charges 1 battery at a time, but at least all 4 can be plugged in and good to go if you leave it plugged it and charging.
At home, I use the M600 charger, which will also charge Inspire 1 batteries. It charges 6 batteries simultaneously @ 100w/each.

I think I have a solution designed with a charging bag that fits inside a small cooler and then a foam "plug" to sit on top and then the top of the cooler locks in place, thus there is no possibility of the batteries becoming dislodged from the charger while in motion.
I don't charge batteries while on the move, as this requires a direct connection to the car battery. Because I can adjust the current, if need be, these can be quick chargers. If I have time, they can be slow chargers or even trickle chargers.

I have plans of sticking the charger in an old Inspire 1 case. Hopefully, I'll get that done in the next couple weeks. Waiting for it to warm up a little outside, as I don't like cutting plastic in the house. It makes a mess because I use a table saw.

D

See, I would normally be like, "how do you have an old Inspire 1 case?", but considering the fact *I* actually have an extra Inspire 1 case (part of the zipper is jack at the back on the bottom right corner), I can see how these things happen...

I will have to hit you up when I am ready to build an "on-the-go" charger setup here this spring. I figure just the OEM car charger will be fine to start, but if I need to charge multiple batteries I can most certainly see the advantage to a dynamic setup like you have.

For me it is all about the options... Gotta have the options... No need for limited designs... ;)

See, I would normally be like, "how do you have an old Inspire 1 case?",
My business partner purchased aftermarket cases for both his Inspires, so he actually had 2 OEM cases laying around doing nothing.

but considering the fact *I* actually have an extra Inspire 1 case (part of the zipper is jack at the back on the bottom right corner), I can see how these things happen...
Well that's just funny, because Derek (my business partner) brought one of his cases and the zipper was jacked in exactly the same manner! - which is odd, because the zipper on my OEM case works perfectly. So he brought his OTHER OEM case over a couple nights later, and that one seems okay.

I will have to hit you up when I am ready to build an "on-the-go" charger setup here this spring. I figure just the OEM car charger will be fine to start,
It's not. A cigarette lighter is a horrible source of power. Back in the day, when cigarette lighters were actually lighting cigarettes, they were fairly robust - 10 amps I believe was standard. Now they've become "power supplies," and don't seem to be as robust. Dollars to doughnuts there's a 5 amp fuse behind it. The power supply I built is near perfect. Once I get it in the case it will be sweet.

Not sure how electrically savvy you are, but usually batteries require a battery charger, which is different circuitry from a pedestrian power supply. However, the DJI smart batteries are sort of "self managing." So one doesn't need actual battery charger circuitry.

Also...worth noting, the step-up power supplies are more efficient than power supplies that can also be stepped down. So I purchased step-up power supplies.

Interesting side note; The Mavic battery is a 11.4, 3S battery (Normally 3s is 11.1v, but not for the Mavic battery according to spec). But it takes a charging voltage of 13.05v. So, in theory, I BELIEVE one can charge the Mavic batteries directly off a car battery. I believe my step-up converters can be lowered to input voltage. When the car is running, voltage is 14v. When it's not, the battery nominally starts around 12.6v. So...I may be able to step up the voltage to 13.05v if the car is NOT running. Since my car battery is a 70Ah AGM battery, I should be able to charge at least five 4Ah Mavic batteries before making an appreciable dent in my car battery's voltage. It's all theory at this point, as I have never needed more than 3 Mavic batteries at any Mavic shoot. Because if its diminutive size and "good enough" camera, I use the Mavic for any real estate gigs that pop up. This has always consisted of only one battery. But I digress....

but if I need to charge multiple batteries I can most certainly see the advantage to a dynamic setup like you have.
Absolutely. And remember, the best part is that you can quick charge your batteries. I limit my quick charges to 6 Amps, which is only 160 watts, which *under* the charge rating of the DJI 180 watt "quick charger." I have tons of head room to boost the charge to 7 or 8 amps if I wish. But what I'm discovering is that charging 3 Inspire 1 batteries at 6 Amps heats up the alligator clips pretty good. I THOUGHT the alligator clips are rated @ 50 Amps, but apparently I screwed up and they're only rated for 20 amps. ARGH! So I have to order some new, more robust clips.

For me it is all about the options... Gotta have the options... No need for limited designs... ;)
Oh yeah...because I can set voltage and amperage and have set them up to receive banana plugs, the sky is the limit. I can charge or power anything over 14 volts. I may make a laptop charger cable next.

D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry