Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Goolsky chargers

Reaction score
OK.... so I would really like to buy the Smartpowercharge SPC M100 charger for my growing collection of TB47's & TB48's but, like many, I'm finding it difficult to shell out that sort of money, at least for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably do what others have done and buy a couple (or more) stock DJI180W fast chargers but I was wondering if anyone out there has experience of Goolsky chargers (either for I1 or Phantoms) that are sold on Amazon, eBay etc.? In particular, I have seen this model: https://www.amazon.com/Goolsky-Professional-Discharger-Helicopter-Quadcopter/dp/B01LETE5T2

I know little about electronics and I am easily lost when I start to read all the detailed tecchie stuff but my reading of the sparse information given in this advert suggests it does all/most of what the SPC M100 does?

I tend to believe that you get what you pay for and given this is roughly half the cost of the SPC M100, I'm guessing it is no better than half as good!.....

.....but any comments/observations/experiences are greatly appreciated!

Take the plunge and get the smart powercharge. I dad and haven't regretted it once. After I had it a short while I sold off my DJI chargers to offset the cost a little. Not only will it charge 4 batteries at the same time, it is invaluable for deep cycling them.

I've seen alternatives similar to the Smart Powercharge but with added storage function and that cost half the price from the usual Eastern distributors. Don't remember the name/link though.

Thanks for the replies...... all information, suggestions and comments are welcome...

This is obviously China made generic charging device for any kind of battery. I would be very hesitant ordering such since DJI smart batteries are very sensitive to a proper charging voltage and amperage. Setting required charging parameters for particular type of DJI battery may be a daunting task, if not impossible with this device. Take a look at recently offered DJI multicharger, looks very promising for the price.

DJI Hex Charger | DJI Store

The charging circuitry is built into the battery all you need is a power supply which you can get for $40 for a 600 watt one

The charging circuitry is built into the battery all you need is a power supply which you can get for $40 for a 600 watt one
Wrong, my friend. DJI Smart battery will initially drain the supplied current, analyse and reject any current bigger than required, and finally shut down protecting itself from too abusive charging.

Wrong, my friend. DJI Smart battery will initially drain the supplied current, analyse and reject any current bigger than required, and finally shut down protecting itself from too abusive charging.

Totally 100% incorrect. the DJI charger? just a switching power supply. All the charging circuitry is in the battery. All the power supply is doing is providing the current.

I have a 3 battery charger board that is connected to a 600 watt power supply and have no issues charging my batteries

Totally 100% incorrect. the DJI charger? just a switching power supply.
Absolutely not, it's a switching power supply with active current limiting, so it is effectively a CC/CV charger.

Please, all those things were determined, demonstrated and explained nearly 2 years ago when the I1 came out.

Absolutely not, it's a switching power supply with active current limiting, so it is effectively a CC/CV charger.

Please, all those things were determined, demonstrated and explained nearly 2 years ago when the I1 came out.

The power supply's don't force current into the battery the active current limiting is IN THE BATTERY not the charger just like the discharge circuitry is IN THE BATTERY

Measure the voltage on the battery terminals during charge and you'll see you're completely wrong.

Again that's been said, videos showing it have been posted etc...

Thanks to all for the above info.
Dobmatt - thank you for bringing the DJI Hex charger to my notice. I had not seen this announcement and although it does not apparently deep cycle batteries as the smartpowercharge products do, having invested in Alex Proto's excellent Phantom Angel (Inspire version), this inbuilt functionality is not so important for me. The DJI offering may be the lesser beast but it is also lesser cost and I think this is the way I'll go! The airborne battery is a single point of failure and battery maintenance is paramount for me.

Thanks to all for the above info.
Dobmatt - thank you for bringing the DJI Hex charger to my notice. I had not seen this announcement and although it does not apparently deep cycle batteries as the smartpowercharge products do, having invested in Alex Proto's excellent Phantom Angel (Inspire version), this inbuilt functionality is not so important for me. The DJI offering may be the lesser beast but it is also lesser cost and I think this is the way I'll go! The airborne battery is a single point of failure and battery maintenance is paramount for me.
Great, don't forget to post your review here! This charger seems to be simple and effective, should charge 6 batteries simultaneously at the rate typical to a single standard 100W DJI charger ...

Totally 100% incorrect. the DJI charger? just a switching power supply. All the charging circuitry is in the battery. All the power supply is doing is providing the current.

I have a 3 battery charger board that is connected to a 600 watt power supply and have no issues charging my batteries
This is possible if you're lucky enough and the charging current going into each battery is maintained at approx. 6 A max. The power supply must be a true CC/CV (as mentioned by Kilrah), and indeed all DJI chargers are. If not, the battery will ask for more juice at some stage of charging (with drastic peak at about 75% charge) and - if delivered - will shut off sensing approx. 8 A current.

The Chinese triple charge boards like he probably has typically have high wattage resistors in series with each battery to serve as (very) crude limiters. That works pretty OK in normal conditions and as long as he always uses it even for one battery, connecting a battery directly to the power supply would be where it gets ugly.

Here is the current profile for the standard DJI switching PSU on a 48...
Correct and confirmed by my findings as well. Aside DJI's AC/DC chargers, I've been experimenting a lot with DC/DC step-up converters trying to find sufficient solution for multiple battery field charger. Some relatively cheap open circuit boards are available on ebay, claiming CC/CV capability. Not really, as I've discovered quickly ... Although setting the charging voltage is simple and reliable enough, the current limiters aren't up the task and must be tuned carefully for starting charging level. Smart DJI battery will demand more juice during charging process and - if supplied with - will eventually shut off. These converters provide relatively flat current for about 45 minutes, then suddenly deliver demanded peak for about 5 min and finally the curvature goes quickly down as usual to 250mA at the end, give or take. This current peak is where smart battery must determine if it's acceptable or too high...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drbhutaniclinic