Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

h.265 records to black ?

So it seems that when Im recording to pro res to ssd and h.265 to sd card. I get a black screen video when i try to play on my computer. I am able to playback within the DJI go app. anyone else encounter this? when i change to h.264 everything works fine.
Presumably you do have an H265 codec installed on your PC yes?

i have a newer mac with latest os... i think you are right though. I just need the proper codec or viewer. I was able to download divx and convert the files to mp4... however is there a way to just play them on my mac. I'm searching for the codec right now. ill let you know if i find it. or if anyone else has insight. much appreciated. thanks

Did you try to change the file extension. I read this in the Official Phantom 4 PRO ***Owner's Thread*** : there were several posts about the this. Search there for "change to mov" and you will find more discussions about other file trailer modifications such as: .mov, .mp4, .avi, etc.
- Joseph
it seems i can't find a codec that will work for mac or final cut. I have to convert the clips before being able to work them on my mac computer... ugh... anyone find a solution yet ?

Did you try to change the file extension. I read this in the Official Phantom 4 PRO ***Owner's Thread*** : there were several posts about the this. Search there for "change to mov" and you will find more discussions about other file trailer modifications such as: .mov, .mp4, .avi, etc.
- Joseph
No, that won't work. What you are talking about is simply changing the wrapper.
The file itself is encoded in either h.264 or the h.265 codec which the OP does not appear to have on his Mac (and/or his NLE does not recognise it).
Both the .mov and .mp4 wrappers contain h.264 so they are interchangeable but h.265 uses different encoding.

You will have to convert them on Mac, or at least that what I have done.

I cannot believe that sierra will not play h.265, but windows 10 will :/

yes the editor is correct.... the files are .mov already and my NLE or mac will not play it. Does anyone have a codec I can download so that final cut and or my mac can play them?
To my knowledge Final Cut still doesn't support native HEVC (h.265) footage - you have to convert first. It might be an idea to have a look on the Final Cut forums to see if it's coming to the platform. Premier and some others have had it for a while so it seems strange Apple hasn't adopted it into its infrastructure.
However, it's unlikely you would deliver anything in h.265 at this stage so perhaps that is their thinking.
This was my concern over on another thread where I mentioned about DJI utising HEVC but an awful lot of machines don't support it.

Check out Rocky Mountains Movie Converter. It worked on some H.265 samples from the X5S gimbal. I'm planning on converting to ProRes LT. The files will be much bigger, but at least I can use the new codec on Mac. Hopefully Apple will add native H.265 support for FCPX over time so this conversion isn't necessary.

RockyMountains Movie Converter

Reactions: ringolong
Could always use premiere pro CC as it supports h265 natively and also can auto ingest and create proxy files. To be honest you shouldn't edit h265 directly anyways as computers really can't handle them too well and makes it hard to edit them for rendering.

Could always use premiere pro CC as it supports h265 natively and also can auto ingest and create proxy files. To be honest you shouldn't edit h265 directly anyways as computers really can't handle them too well and makes it hard to edit them for rendering.

You're wrong about PP CC handling H.265 natively... not yet. Adobe has promised an update, but when....? :(

Reactions: Quadpilot
It 100% does. :)

The trick is you have to rename your files to .mp4. It won't recognize .mov that are h265 encoded. I use it almost daily.

Looks like support for pp cc was added in 2015. Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 Update Brings H.265 & More 4K Native Support

This is why I think 2017 is going to be soooo... much better than 2016. ;)

Thanks for the tip, which will have to rank up there with the best forehead-slapping moments of my short video career, along with the discovery of Resolve 12.5 ("You mean it's free??....").
:D

Reactions: F3honda4me
That is what I meant to say .... that is what I get for being a still photographer!

It 100% does. :)

The trick is you have to rename your files to .mp4. It won't recognize .mov that are h265 encoded. I use it almost daily.

Looks like support for pp cc was added in 2015. Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 Update Brings H.265 & More 4K Native Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizamartin8033