Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Handwheel 2 mount and solution

Reaction score
I am a VERY happy customer with Handwheel2 on my I2 RC. It solves many issues, including my tapping on the iPad 4 mini for focusing...

Issue: When my handwheel 2 arrived (7/1/17) the screw mount would not engage tightly with the rosette in the handwheel, being 2-3 mm not deep enough, so the recesses were not tight and all of the brass pins were loose and broke contact/ shorted out. Hence, inconsistant operation.

Problem: in Pic1, the sgrew top of the 1/4-3/8 screw adapter is too thick, causing the Shoulder (Pic2) to rub on the screw insert face (Pic1).

Solution (In two parts).... As a professional photographer (about 45 years), I have ammassed a pile of tripod adapters. In Pic3, the adapter on the left is the DJI OEM (stainless steel, very nice), but the shouder is too thick, causing the problem when installed in Handwheel2. The middle adapter is a cheap brass one from my closet (thinner shoulder but still too thick. The third one is similar but with the shoulder cut off by wire nippers, so It would fit in temporarily until my new part came in.

New part came in (Pic4), adapter has no shoulder, screws in enough to be flush, Handwheel2 works and mounts perfectly, and is no longer shorting/ missing pins with the wheel. Still brass, but of high quality... Pic5

DJI was notified of the issue and are working on it.... But this will get you going until they get new parts or redesign the shoulder in the Handwheel2 mount

Home this helps
14_2x.gif

Twitter Facebook Favorite Like

IMG_20170707_101822083.jpg (988.82 KB, Down times: 0)

071707lvdiiqbr7izjqkqw.jpg

IMG_20170707_101441080.jpg (955 KB, Down times: 0)

071724qigj72g39lxt9cuc.jpg

IMG_20170707_101655386.jpg (998.57 KB, Down times: 0)

071956mxm8mnjlaen2valn.jpg

IMG_20170707_101536263.jpg (965.08 KB, Down times: 0)

072042onw60cxnjqqjxp0q.jpg

IMG_20170707_104523515.jpg (919.95 KB, Down times: 0)

Reactions: Advexure
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Handwheel 2. Thank you kindly for sharing your helpful information here on the IP Forum. We're happy to have you here. :) As you stated, DJI was made aware of the thread mount issue on the rosette adapter and we hope to see a fix from them soon.

Safe and happy flying!

Wonder why they just didn't make the cable come out of the wheel itself rather than the pins in HW2 and the weird plug in the HW1 arms? That way you can still turn the focusing white marking wheel with the knob's screw lock so the blue LED mark/indicator is facing at you (Which is nice on older HW1 model but maybe can't be done on the HW2 version due to the pins position?).

Aside, I did get a recent HW1 firmware update automatically installed while playing setting up the thing. It popped up some "GO is doing a firmware update" which confused me and then I saw the focus wheel's blue LED blinking and I guess that was being updated. It was pretty quick for a firmware update, but I wish they wouldn't do that automatic updating unless requested or some menu lock and a way to look for updates later on.

The focus wheel is a nice addition over the touch screen method so thumbs up there. I do wish there was a way to keep the white wheel attached as it seems to pop off the sides at times on HW1.

Other than mount and connection, they seem similar Ex cable. My guess is the piezo/ rheostat inside are similar. I am still trying to figure out the "LENS" button, between lighted/ flashing/ dark. It does not launch any window in Go4, and seems to render the wheel inactive in one setting- lighted. It is a huge help for crisp shots! Can anyone guide on the "LENS" button? Thx...

I have the same problem right now. I bought a new Inspire 2 with this handwheel 2 and mounting bracket. it wobbles bad, disconnects itself.

I have contacted DJI, even have a case number CAS-865264-Z2R1Y6. My last email said "your information was noted and will be forwarded to our higher operation", what does that mean??

Hope to hear something soon as i have put it all back in the box and would love to send it back. if they can supply me with one that works, then i will take it, otherwise i want a credit.

Roffen, when did you purchase? I was about to pull the trigger on this setup and was hoping the new shipments would have the new adapter installed.

Hard to believe this matter hasn't been settled yet, okay props too. Sometimes I wonder if DJI ever flys these things given that you cannot even attach the hand-wheel to the arm properly?

Aside, I have the older Version 1 H-W and even the cable that came with it didn't work. Had to buy an extra special one with the right connectors. Quality Control is non-existent with DJI it seems.

"Stick it in a box and sell it quick."

Hard to believe this matter hasn't been settled yet, okay props too. Sometimes I wonder if DJI ever flys these things given that you cannot even attach the hand-wheel to the arm properly?

Aside, I have the older Version 1 H-W and even the cable that came with it didn't work. Had to buy an extra special one with the right connectors. Quality Control is non-existent with DJI it seems.

"Stick it in a box and sell it quick."
I am trying to find a bushing with no shoulder myself while waiting on DJI

My Focus wheel fixed by me taking the bushing to a machine shop and having the shoulder shaved off so the stand will fix. it now works, no thanks to DJI. I would still be waiting as I have heard nothing from them.

My Focus wheel fixed by me taking the bushing to a machine shop and having the shoulder shaved off so the stand will fix. it now works, no thanks to DJI. I would still be waiting as I have heard nothing from them.
What about the McMaster-Carr? Did you get those and did they work?

What about the McMaster-Carr? Did you get those and did they work?

unfortunately it did not work with part from mcmaster, what they sent to me did not match up with the threads on the outside of the bushing, inside was ok. What i ended up doing was finding one on eBay, the threads out and in both worked, but it was too long. So i went by a machine shop and the guy shaved a little of for me and not it works as i expected.

My last conversation with DJI was that they were sending me a shipping label to send it back, but label never came and i got tired of waiting.

I still cannot figure out how DJI did their testing on this thing and thought it would work.

COMPLIMENTARY SOLUTION FROM FLORIDA DRONE SUPPLY.

We also sell the Focus Wheel 2 and Focus Wheel 2 bracket. Until there is a good solution from DJI, we have been removing the bushing in the Focus Wheel and replacing it with one that does not have the lip around it. The one we sourced has a slotted side that can be tightened down very nicely with a small flathead screwdriver. Simply put it into your Focus Wheel slotted side down and tighten it all the way in. Your Focus Wheel 2 and bracket will now tighten all the way and lock securely into place.

We ordred a lot of these bushings and if anyone needs one we will send one out to you. No sense grinding yours down or having to shave off part of the bracket - we have a good bushing that works well.

It doesn't matter who you bought yours from - we will send you a bushing for yours...just keep us in mind on a future purchase.

Michael

bushing.JPG

COMPLIMENTARY SOLUTION FROM FLORIDA DRONE SUPPLY.

We also sell the Focus Wheel 2 and Focus Wheel 2 bracket. Until there is a good solution from DJI, we have been removing the bushing in the Focus Wheel and replacing it with one that does not have the lip around it. The one we sourced has a slotted side that can be tightened down very nicely with a small flathead screwdriver. Simply put it into your Focus Wheel slotted side down and tighten it all the way in. Your Focus Wheel 2 and bracket will now tighten all the way and lock securely into place.

We ordred a lot of these bushings and if anyone needs one we will send one out to you. No sense grinding yours down or having to shave off part of the bracket - we have a good bushing that works well.

It doesn't matter who you bought yours from - we will send you a bushing for yours...just keep us in mind on a future purchase.

Michael

View attachment 15429
Michael, please send one to me. I purchased the focus wheel and bracket from you but this was early on and we didn't know of the issues. Let me know if you need anything from me.

Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu