Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Has anyone made a preflight checklist

Correct.
Rule 10 of community guidelines (which everybody agrees to when they sign up) states:
10. NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants (excluding paid advertisers) may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest. Exceptions to this may be found in the Classifieds or other explicitly designated commercial areas.

Jason - I assume Jacob has agreed to allow the link?
I had am email conversation with him, yes. And it's a funny thing to take issue with. I've built the most comprehensive preflight checklist for the platform. It will save drones and possibly even keep people safe. It will help prevent embarrassment for our community. There are many things that new fliers simple don't know. One thing many new flyers don't know is how important a preflight checklist is--the aren't searching for one even though they should be. The preflight checklist is FREE. 100% FREE. you can't buy anything from dronefrontier.com. The Preflight checklist itself links to 6 other websites. Some of those websites have things for sale. Every link is highly relevant and is serves to increase safety of flight. If we want more "I crashed my drone" threads, then we should definitely not tell people about this checklist.

Jason, you need to understand the vast majority of us have and use checklists--have been for a long time. As nice as it is, yours isn't the first, nor will it be the last.

Jason, you need to understand the vast majority of us have and use checklists--have been for a long time. As nice as it is, yours isn't the first, nor will it be the last.
First, I don't think a vast majority of Inspire 1 owners flyers use a checklist. I think it's possible that a majority of those who actively participate on the forum possibly do. Second, I didn't suggest that mine was first or last. But I did suggest that it is the most comprehensive that I've seen. And I truly believe that, because I've looked at every checklist posted online. Most checklists are good for the originator of the checklist; they make sense to the author. I did my best to make one useful to even new flyers. Of course it has a ways to go. I need to add videos and a definitions page. We are also looking to turn it into an app, because trying to switch to airplane mode in the checklist is annoying.

It is a good list but I think you should try to condense it and start with the highest priorities and move certain things you can do at home or are less relevant at the bottom of the page (I am not sure if I need to check the moonrise for example). I looked at your list and some points are absolute musts before each flight but if I would go through the whole list each time it would be midnight before I have my inspire in the air.

Reactions: Jason Schiffner
It is a good list but I think you should try to condense it and start with the highest priorities and move certain things you can do at home or are less relevant at the bottom of the page (I am not sure if I need to check the moonrise for example). I looked at your list and some points are absolute musts before each flight but if I would go through the whole list each time it would be midnight before I have my inspire in the air.
You make a really excellent point. A friend, who joined me for a flight today, made a very similar suggestion. Basically, we need to find a way to separate the items that are essential, like checking sensors and battery, and make them stand out. The current solution, and its a poor one, is that you can click the "check all" button, which I find myself doing often. I will definitely spend some time trying to make it more like you suggest.

Great! Break it up in sections, like: to do before each flight at location, when you leave home and pack your inspire, things to check after x many flights etc. This way people have more use for it I think.

Reactions: Jason Schiffner
Great! Break it up in sections, like: to do before each flight at location, when you leave home and pack your inspire, things to check after x many flights etc. This way people have more use for it I think.
What if the last section is known as the "Critical Section"? It's the absolute must do's. I know that I check the sensors between every single take-off, but I don't do all the other steps. Your feedback is great, thank you!

That is a good idea. I think you can remove the item 'start motors with csc command as that is not a check but an action to get the quad in the air. I would add (in red and bold) for people to ensure to hit the stop recording button before shutting off the inspire after they have landed in order to prevent corrupt video files. Maybe you can add a short after landing checklist (hit stop recording, turn off inspire, turn of rc, check for blood on propellers (ok, maybe not that last one)).

That is a good idea. I think you can remove the item 'start motors with csc command as that is not a check but an action to get the quad in the air. I would add (in red and bold) for people to ensure to hit the stop recording button before shutting off the inspire after they have landed in order to prevent corrupt video files. Maybe you can add a short after landing checklist (hit stop recording, turn off inspire, turn of rc, check for blood on propellers (ok, maybe not that last one)).
A post flight checklist is a good idea. Right now the bad part of the whole thing is that it needs the internet to work and by that point the mobile should be on airplane mode. The long term fix is an app. But you got me thinking about a short term fix, like maybe a downloadable PDF.

Hopefully there is no blood, so long as Enrique isn't anywhere near it.

An excellent pre-flight procedure. I appreciate that you mention to be knowledgeable of local FX use, and to carry a radio to monitor it. I am just starting into Drone work, having worked with Queen City Helicopter in Charlotte NC filming from their Robinson 44. They have mentioned numerous encounters with Drones flying in controlled airspace, and as we build our drone program with them the communication aspect is huge.

For those drone pilots who don't complete a checklist like this - you are destroying the industry before it starts. Act responsibly, before you ruin it for everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions