Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Has DJI just released the SDK?

Wow! ... great news! ... I've been waiting months for this :)

Downloading now and excited to try it out :D ... I just hope it's been though some testing as I haven't heard of any beta program for this v2.0 of the SDK.

Is this a big deal? I am not sure I understand exactly what it is. Should I be excited?
If I understand SDK, it is if I wanted to develop an app myself to make the Inspire do something special? Nothing to do with the ground station?

Yes, you should be excited. This opens the door for 3rd party vendors, ie software, hardware companies to develop and market products for the Inspire specifically.

Yes, a camera from a third party could now become a reality.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The SDK allows you to write software to interact with and control the aircraft from an app custom written using it and running on the supported tablets while plugged into the controller.

There is nothing in the SDK that would allow a third party to develop a camera or gimbal for the Inspire that I can see.

For that to be possible they would need to publish a hardware interface guide as well as functional specifications for the communication protocols and other details of the camera and gimbal.

Last edited:
Does the SDK not allow you access to camera controls and settings as well as gimbal functionality? If so would this not promote the ability of a 3rd party supplier the ability to design and program a camera to operate with the software of the Inspire? Listen, I am not going to argue but this release does get us closer to that possibility. That is why I used the word could, which by definition is used to indicate a possibility not a definite conclusion.

Does the SDK not allow you access to camera controls and settings as well as gimbal functionality? If so would this not promote the ability of a 3rd party supplier the ability to design and program a camera to operate with the software of the Inspire? Listen, I am not going to argue but this release does get us closer to that possibility. That is why I used the word could, which by definition is used to indicate a possibility not a definite conclusion.

Software side yes. Hardware side is still opaque and not open to replacement by 3rd parties without reverse engineering at this point anyway.

Does the SDK not allow you access to camera controls and settings as well as gimbal functionality?
Likely yes.

If so would this not promote the ability of a 3rd party supplier the ability to design and program a camera to operate with the software of the Inspire?
No.

The SDK gives you a high level software interface with methods your app can call, like (simplified) "set camera to manual mode at 100 ISO" or "tilt camera down at speed X"... but it says absolutely nothing about what kind of data exchanges and processes have to happen in the "background" (between tablet and controller, between controller and aircraft, between aircraft and camera) for this order to be carried out. All of that is handled by the various hardware and firmware components that are not documented.

Development of a hardware accessory that has the right interfaces, responds to the right orders and provides the required signals for it to fit in the system is a completely different and unrelated topic, and there hasn't been any sign DJI intends to help on that front. So complex reverse-engineering and development would be needed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters