Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help with X5s

Reaction score
Looking into purchasing an X5s for my I2 and would like help. I currently use the X4s and am happy with the wide angle cine video, but recently saw some video with an X5s and and Olympus 45mm lens. The depth and smaller view on the shot was amazing.
First, should I purchase the X5s with the stock lens for wider shots and just go for the body and Olympus 45mm and use the X4s for those wider shots. Also, it looks like I need some type of balancing ring if adding the Olympus lens is that correct. I often use ND filters and will probably purchase some polarPro ones for this combo. If adding ND filters is there additional steps for ensuring balance is correct?? Do you still need to use the balancing ring if using ND?

The majority of my current work is for Real Estate but am interested in testing some of the site mapping software out there and don't know if the X5s and narrower lens would provide much benefit over my current x4s

DJI sells the balance rings for the 45mm (Sold as a pair of rings too.) if you want to use it without a ND filter. On mine (X5S + 45mm) if I use it with a 36-to-46mm step-up ring and a 46mm ND filter (Breakthrough brand here), I need to add a nickle to the back of the camera to balance it out (Self-stick Velcro dots from fabric or arts store.).

Fwiw, X4S angle of view is 84 degrees. The X5S with stock 15mm lens is 72 degrees so it is narrower than the X4S due to sensor size. Your X4S will be wider than stock X5S. The Olympus 12mm will be equivalent to the X4S angle of view if you buy it for the X5S.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkerrins
Thanks for posting that jkerrins, I'm looking at the same situation.

Since I've never had to balance a lens out, please answer if this is this correct, or if not, why:

Once you power the bird up and calibrate the gimbal, after adding the filter (if you decide to) you need to add enough weight to the back of the camera to position it relatively level or add a balance ring which should do the same?

Also I can't imagine a polar pro filter would weigh enough to balance out the lens?

Since I've never had to balance a lens out, please answer if this is this correct, or if not, why:

Once you power the bird up and calibrate the gimbal, after adding the filter (if you decide to) you need to add enough weight to the back of the camera to position it relatively level or add a balance ring which should do the same?

Also I can't imagine a polar pro filter would weigh enough to balance out the lens?

when i ordered my i2 i was advised to stay away from the DJI/Panasonic 15mm and go for a olympus 12 instead. most times i use a oly 17 or 45 mm. i haven't personally used the DJI lens but i think you would be better served to go to extremes with the oly 12 and oly 45

Looks like this is the way I am going. "Sensei Pro 37 - 46mm Aluminum step-up Ring"and then the usual PolarPro lenses. just saw this link. Thanks all for the help and advice
X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

Reactions: T-Bolt
I have read that a lot of MFT photogs feel the DJI 15mm (rebranded Panasonic Leica 15mm) is a "best kept secret" because you can find them used for $300ish. I don't think there is anything wrong with the lens myself, other than when you start trying to complement, oly 17mm is a bit too similar, 12mm isn't much better and twice the price, the 25mm is hit or miss, the 45mm can be tough to use depending on how tight you are getting to the subject...I'm half way tempted to hold onto my DJI 15 and get the Laowa 7.5 instead of the 12mm. Really will depend on if I sell my DJI 15mm.

I hope this isn't bad form, but FWIW If you are still thinking of buying the X5s I might have a refurb for sale. My original X5s was defective and we had to buy another to replace as we had a job that didn't give us time for the LONG DJI turn around. In theory the replacement is on it's way home. Don't really need two.

I have read that a lot of MFT photogs feel the DJI 15mm (rebranded Panasonic Leica 15mm) is a "best kept secret" because you can find them used for $300ish. I don't think there is anything wrong with the lens myself, other than when you start trying to complement, oly 17mm is a bit too similar, 12mm isn't much better and twice the price, the 25mm is hit or miss, the 45mm can be tough to use depending on how tight you are getting to the subject...I'm half way tempted to hold onto my DJI 15 and get the Laowa 7.5 instead of the 12mm. Really will depend on if I sell my DJI 15mm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop