Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Here goes............1st ATTI mode flight....

Reaction score
I am prepared to be shot down in flames, but whatever. :)

First thoughts of flying the Inspire 1 in ATTI mode………………..

…………..WOW, no wonder people were losing props, after flying the P2 in ATTI for the about the last 6mths the I1 really shifts and changes direction rapidly quick, the ESC’s must be working overtime. The flights were excellent, double checked and did a compass/ IMU calibration before take-off, very stable, a slight yaw that I could only see by looking at the camera in the app was the only fault. (I wound the props on as I normally do, gently to ensure the thread is correct, then spin them a few times in the locking direction, then hold the motor and hand-tighten wearing gloves).

Despite the problems with IMU, iOS, yaw drift etc etc it’s still a beautiful and fast platform to fly, whether a solo pilot can control the pan, tilt, camera settings etc and keep an eye on the battery (which seems to deplete quicker in ATTI mode), IMU and ACC MOD’s and all the other settings and indications necessary to keep you in the air safely will only come with a lot of experience, IMHO. This thing is quick and agile!

As a side note I have contacted DJI chat for a few questions/queries and have always got an answer, who said customer service is dead, I know there have been problems, think how many vehicles have been recalled because of electrical fires, steering faults or even steering wheels coming off, etc, far too many. No this is the new standard in flying photographic multi-rotors for people who cannot or don’t want to spent the £££££.

The app alone is awesome will the P3 get the same? Who knows, I for one will be buying one if it does, and I can’t wait for a camera upgrade on the Inspire 1.

Anyway just my inexperienced first thoughts, safe flying and read the forums they are a great source of knowledge and the savour for many headaches. Also many thanks to Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike for their help, in the UK we’re a good few hrs ahead of the Americas and a good few hrs behind Asia, no wonder the forums are busy, excellent, sorry for waffling , just love flying and filming.

Safe flying and a Happy New Year!

Cheers Mark

I am prepared to be shot down in flames, but whatever. :)

First thoughts of flying the Inspire 1 in ATTI mode………………..

…………..WOW, no wonder people were losing props, after flying the P2 in ATTI for the about the last 6mths the I1 really shifts and changes direction rapidly quick, the ESC’s must be working overtime. The flights were excellent, double checked and did a compass/ IMU calibration before take-off, very stable, a slight yaw that I could only see by looking at the camera in the app was the only fault. (I wound the props on as I normally do, gently to ensure the thread is correct, then spin them a few times in the locking direction, then hold the motor and hand-tighten wearing gloves).

Despite the problems with IMU, iOS, yaw drift etc etc it’s still a beautiful and fast platform to fly, whether a solo pilot can control the pan, tilt, camera settings etc and keep an eye on the battery (which seems to deplete quicker in ATTI mode), IMU and ACC MOD’s and all the other settings and indications necessary to keep you in the air safely will only come with a lot of experience, IMHO. This thing is quick and agile!

As a side note I have contacted DJI chat for a few questions/queries and have always got an answer, who said customer service is dead, I know there have been problems, think how many vehicles have been recalled because of electrical fires, steering faults or even steering wheels coming off, etc, far too many. No this is the new standard in flying photographic multi-rotors for people who cannot or don’t want to spent the £££££.

The app alone is awesome will the P3 get the same? Who knows, I for one will be buying one if it does, and I can’t wait for a camera upgrade on the Inspire 1.

Anyway just my inexperienced first thoughts, safe flying and read the forums they are a great source of knowledge and the savour for many headaches. Also many thanks to Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike for their help, in the UK we’re a good few hrs ahead of the Americas and a good few hrs behind Asia, no wonder the forums are busy, excellent, sorry for waffling , just love flying and filming.

Safe flying and a Happy New Year!

Cheers Mark
60 mph

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
@lrwskyfilms, consider dialing down your advanced gains for Atti to 90% from default 100%, as recommended by Tahoe Ed for less twitchy flying. I echo your observations of the flying characteristics of this little "Porsche" of a drone.
90% will stop the flying off line like i guess yeah twitchy flying?

General rule: Never adjust gains more than 10% in either direction to avoid unintended large gains in control response. The 10% reduction in Atti gain was Tahoe Ed's personal setting that he felt comfortable with as a beta tester. I'm reluctant to put words in his mouth, so I'll just report my own observation that this adjustment, along with changing my yaw expo curve to reduce stick deflection input made the Inspire a smoother filming platform. I'm not interested in sports car performance. I want a smooth but responsive and stable craft.

General rule: Never adjust gains more than 10% in either direction to avoid unintended large gains in control response. The 10% reduction in Atti gain was Tahoe Ed's personal setting that he felt comfortable with as a beta tester. I'm reluctant to put words in his mouth, so I'll just report my own observation that this adjustment, along with changing my yaw expo curve to reduce stick deflection input made the Inspire a smoother filming platform. I'm not interested in sports car performance. I want a smooth but responsive and stable craft.
Anything i can read to better understand expo curve, stick deflection, gains etc.I want smooth Porsche is cool but i like good steady control

Anything i can read to better understand expo curve, stick deflection, gains etc.I want smooth Porsche is cool but i like good steady control

First thing is to read warning on bottom of Gain Settings page: "Only advanced users should modify these settings. Any changes will affect aircraft attitude and gain. Make adjustments with extreme caution."

Expo just changes the linear effect of stick deflection to a curve, meaning the deflection from neutral is either de-sensitized or heightened. I like being able to do smooth yaw with the aircraft, having owned the P1 and P2, where the gimbal had to follow the aircraft and to get a smooth pan meant being very careful with yaw stick deflection.

If possible, could you attach a screen grab with your yaw expo curve? I'd like to try that, and would like to see what you found that worked well.

Excellent info thx Quadpilot, I'll try at 90% tomorrow hopefully, I'll leave the expo for the moment. Cheers Mark

Quick question in P-GPS mode do I have to set my home point whether it be the current location of the inspire 1 or the location of the transmitter every time I fly

Quick question in P-GPS mode do I have to set my home point whether it be the current location of the inspire 1 or the location of the transmitter every time I fly

I think it tells you the home point is set just after liftoff without you having to do anything. Of course, you can also set it manually while in flight.

Home point is set when you launch. Within the app you can select to remain on static home point or dynamic home point, which will move as you move with the transmitter and updates every 3 seconds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop