Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hobbyist shouldn't be tracked by FAA

Should hobbyist be tracked?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
A transponder isn’t airframe specific nor is it tied to a certain pilot. I call BS on the individual tracking nonsense. I wouldn’t mind a simple and generic transponder specific to drones, maybe. But I’m against the entire need to track individuals and their particular craft and flights. My car may be registered, I may have a license, but the government doesn’t track where I go and when, nor do they need to. Heck, you can fly a real plane and not file a flight plan if you so choose. The same applies to my drone. “They” don’t need that info and I don’t plan on giving it to them.

Last edited:
If you are in the airspace and flying near me, I have the need to know where you are
It would be courteous of a fellow citizen but that's not mandated by FAa rules:)
It is up for debate though.
Hobbyist business ain't your business as it stands today:cool:

A transponder isn’t airframe specific nor is it tied to a certain pilot. I call BS on the individual tracking nonsense. I wouldn’t mind a simple and generic transponder specific to drones, maybe. But I’m against the entire need to track individuals and their particular craft and flights. My car may be registered, I may have a license, but the government doesn’t track where I go and when, nor do they need to. Heck, you can fly a real plane and not file a flight plan if you do choose. The same applies to my drone. “They” don’t need that info and I don’t plan on giving it to them.
Well said!

Define constitutional right? Your car has a license plate. Airplanes not only have N-Numbers but also have transponders that allow them to be tracked.

If you are in the airspace and flying near me, I have the need to know where you are
I guess we should put trackers on pistols while we're at it. Just in case you go somewhere where your not invited.

Reactions: g36pilot
My dad always said that one persons rights ended where another persons rights began. Imho one persons right to fly where ever whenever end when they fail to consider the safety of the unknown and unseen people over whom they are flying.

There are no transponders on cars because everyone who drives on has been trained and tested...there are well defined places where we are allowed to drive...we can generally see those also driving around us...those nearby who are NOT driving know how to stay safely out of our designated path etc.

Once a drone gets out of sight, regardless of distance, we don’t know know might be affected by a malfunction. So yeah...I have no more problem having someone know where my drone is than having someone being able to see my car at all times

Gun owners would never recommend that their tools by tracked by the government. Drone owners are just different I guess:)

was discussing tracking drones. You had suggested putting trackers on pistols, and I assumed (Possibly incorrectly) that you felt that was a good analogy to having the FAA track drones. I was looking for something that I felt was more apple and apples.

Reactions: boefinator
Hmmm. I used to fly model rockets. Zero control other than a guide rod on the launch pad. Perhaps we need transponders, gps tracking, flight plans, and registration on those too?

Oooh, what about go-carts? Thousands and thousands of those are unregistered and driven by reckless kids and teenagers. Massive government failure to not mandate tracking and training on those.

We should really do the same for all off road vehicles from dirt bikes to side by side rigs. Many many people get hurt on those every year from unknown dangers.

Dadgum bicyclists are a massive issue too. Can you believe they can operate on the same roads my registered motor vehicles can? Un-freaking-believable. That’s completely unsafe. 5 year old kids can operate those dangerous machines without government mandated training, registration, and tracking!!!!

All I’m saying is, really? Is this what we are worried about? People do dumb stuff all the time. Legislating new rules for the rule abiding citizens does absolutely nothing stopping dumb people doing dumb stuff. I don’t need more rules and regulations. I don’t need even more of my rights eroded away. We live in a dangerous world. Rules don’t always make it safer.

Let’s be real. We don’t need this anymore than I need another butt hole.

Now, where did I put my beer? I need to ride my bicycle down to the hobby shop to buy more model rocket engines and racing oil for my go-cart. [emoji38]

Reactions: Cruncher
You're reading way too much 'Big Brother' into this..

They just want a way to track a drone like you can track any airplane on radar. Not track AND identify.

They can currently track any full size aircraft they want with Radar, but drones are too small and there is no way to know when they are nearby other than physically seeing it, which could be too late.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as it doesn't broadcast an identity. I DO feel that all drones (even hobby) should be registered as all motor vehicles used on public roadway are currently required to do. Even if you ride a dirt bike as a hobby, as soon as you want to drive it on the street you have to register it and get a license plate. I don't think anyone is saying ANYTHING different for drones. You could however have predetermined flying parks (as they have now in the R/C community) and say you don't need to register your hobby drone if you're flying at one of these sites. This is how the AMA has operated for years. As part of the AMA, you are required to ONLY fly at a designated flying site.

Your 'Tracking drones before guns' comment is a ridiculous anti-establishment knee jerk response.. Legal guns are already tracked. Even if you purchase a gun at a gun show, you may not need a permit to buy the gun, but you have to show ID to the seller and YOU are then associated with the serial number of that gun.

I know it's hard for people like you, but please don't make everything political.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07