Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Horrendous Jello

Do the expo settings not also change the speed at all?

OK - I have explained that expo has nothing to do with speed, Mike has explained it has nothing to do with speed (several times).
Do you now accept it has nothing to do with speed?
Or, would you like somebody else to explain you are wrong and it has nothing to do with speed and will have nothing to do with jello?

Do you now accept it has nothing to do with speed?

Well I expected this answers and I know it would be logical. There is only one problem - its not true not with the Inspire (tested newest ESC Fw 01.11.00.00)

Actually max h-speed is
15 m/s expo set at 0,2 but
18 m/s expo set at 0,8

Expo settings influence very strong flight behaviour.

Tested this on the simulator as well as real with same results.

Ok the max speed is not really 15 m/s but it increases that slowly that you have to fly 50km full throttle without interruption to probably come to 18m/s after an hour but the same may be true for the 18m/s it seems they only increase extremely slow after this point.

Or dear God - someone please just shoot me now and put me out of my misery!
OK, Mike Mas has flown more r/c models than you are likely to do in your lifetime. He had also held world records and in achieving this its probably fair to say he has set up and adjusted more remotes than you have ever handled - Mike has confirmed that exponential has nothing to do with speed.
I have been flying R/C for 30 years and came from old analogue systems through the first digital offerings and more lately onto multirotor platforms utilising the likes of the Futaba 18MZ and guess what?... Expo has nothing to do with speed.
Your incessant insistance that expo affects speed only shows you have no comprehension or understanding of why it is there or what is used for.
How much more affirmation do you require to prove you are quite simply wrong?
Your trolling skills do seem second to none though and for that I applaud you.
I will not comment further on this thread since I do not want to supply any further nourishment to a troll.

Reactions: lake_flyer
OK, Mike Mas has flown more r/c models than you are likely to do in your lifetime. I have been flying R/C for 30 years.

No doubt of that and probably you build the most sophisticated multicopters.

But that doesnt change the fact expo settings in DJI GO change the maximum speed of the Inpsire. If they mixed something up in Fw 01.11.00.00 or it always was like this but was not so visible in the old 0,3 - 0,7 range or it just does more then the settings tell I dont know.

And of course this effects jello also.

Now I had time to watch the video made in the test flight with 0,8 expo today. Well I reached maximum speed of

Max Speed
21.38 m/s

in GPS mode (up+forward) but I never have seen so strong jello like in this video was almost looking like the one in the initial post. Especially when flying sideways at 18 m/s and at start-stop points. I have 100% balanced T-Motor props, new vibration dumpers, everything checked for vibration.

Tomorrow if weather allows I will make same test with 0,3 expo and see if it changes back like it has been before.

edit: added quote(s)
I am sure you didnt even look the video in the initial post. So in minute 2:20 its not the brake causing the jello?
Jello has little to do with movement of the camera. It has to do with shutter speed vs frames per second AKA rolling shutter, as Editor mention earlier.

Get a darker ND filter and make sure your shutter speed is max 2 x the fps. So if you're shooting at 30fps get an ND filter that allows you to shoot with 1/60th second shutter speed. If your shutter speed is faster, you actually take separate frames of every prop shadow. Also, because the fast shutter brakes off each frame leaving a gap until the next frame. That gives the waving effect. The prop shadows take care of the rest and add a louvre effect.

So a sufficient ND filter (that's why we want several of them with different grades) and preferably a sun hood over the lens, that's what you need.

In very bright conditions I shoot in 1080p because it's easier to get down to 1/120 at 60 fps than 1/60 at 30 fps with 4K.
Find my post on this forum on installing two small tie wraps on the front mounts this will stop 90 per cent of your problems add battery life and save your motors. The original inspire mount is broke.
Oh, and I tried the zip ties this morning. Lot of sun. Got some jello when shooting directly into the sun because my ND filter was too light. Zip ties did totally nothing to solve that problem, just as I expected, and the usual frames were still dropped during yaws.
Go figure.

Last edited:
Here's another example of jello and prop in frame because of high shutter. Taken from the cockpit of a small plane through the propellor. With ND filter the props are blurred, without the props are very visible. At around 4:20 the ND filter is placed on the Gopro.

this shows it even better. Ideally you want the same shutter speed and frame rate but max 2x is normally still quite good.

And I have to concur with everybody saying to get rid of possible vibrations.
Zip ties don't hurt and do help against vibrations. As well as balanced props of course.

Help! Horrendous Jello

So the OP has only made 1 post in this thread?

I see Horrendous flying skills and the lack of any video editing skills, none!
(I can not believe no one here has even mentioned it)

First off, you need a serious amount of flying practice, you are just terrible and even the best gimbal on the planet won't save you or make your vids look any better.
Your jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk jerk, yawing the craft back and force is a sure way to set the x3 up for failure, (turn the "yaw" expo down to 30%).
You never came back and answered any of the important questions The Editor asked you, (camera settings, nd filter).

I don't know where you disappeared to, but I hope you are out flying right now, because smoothing out your flying will be 90% of your battle.
Go find an unoccupied park in an open area and practice flying around a slide, or a swing set. Practice flying diagonal and sideways. When at home in your yard, launch the I1 and stay about 2 feet off the ground. Fly all over walking behind it, use it as a leaf blower, follow the sidewalks, fly it pointing away from you as well as it it pointing directly at you.

You need to practice flying before you can expect to get smooth videos ..... period.

Lastly, editing ........ Please don't post a 9 minute video of your problem.
There is no way anyone is even going to bother watching the whole thing (unless they are extremely bored or died at their desk), anything towards the end that may be important will not be seen by most. At least learn how to use windows movie maker (if you have a pc). There are a million "How To's" on you tube and in just a few minutes you will learn how to cut up your videos and only post what's needed.

ps - learning important things like what is expo and how to use it is imperative.
pss - reading the manual would help You a ton.
pss dji makes peeps believe they can simply take the I1 out of the box, charge the battery, then make videos like Remote Rider's, (it doesn't work like that).

I am aware that longer shutter speeds help to reduce jello. But I prefer short shutter speeds to wished objects in most cases (not for a propeller of course). Nevertheless until Fw 1.03 I almost never seen any jello even at 20 m/s though using 1/1000.

With Fw 1.04.010 jello was almost out again after I made some changes and now flying again since three days after fw changes I have the biggest jello problems ever. Yes at 1/60 I dont have but before I didnt have at 1/800 also.

I know camera and ESC firmware changed massively in Fw 1.05 and unfortunately its one of the changes the roll back did not work like advertised.

It changed from 1.08.00.00 to 01.11.00.00

It removed wind compensation I just could fly to left 16 m/s but to right only 11 m/s due to wind, made changes how expo works and probably creates a massive jello problem on the X3, but it could also be the camera firmware which also changed. Im am not sure it has different settings for the different motors used on Inspire and Inspire pro or uses the same settings for all.

I have extreme jello problems now and I already changed vibration dumpers, changed propellers, used T-Motor props, flying with different max speed, tried all expo and gain settings with not satisfying results.

The only difference to before is the different ESC and camera firmware.

However it may be more complicated because there is not one Inspire and one RC, there exist many similar but slightly different models of each and its not sure they behave the same like mine was flying follow me on DJI GO until this unfortunate ESC version but many others reported that fallow me did not work with their Inspire. Its a big chinese mess.

It changed from 1.08.00.00 to 01.11.00.00

It removed wind compensation I just could fly to left 16 m/s but to right only 11 m/s due to wind, made changes how expo works and probably creates a massive jello problem on the X3, but it could also be the camera firmware which also changed. Im am not sure it has different settings for the different motors used on Inspire and Inspire pro or uses the same settings for all.

I have extreme jello problems now and I already changed vibration dumpers, changed propellers, used T-Motor props, flying with different max speed, tried all expo and gain settings with not satisfying results.

The only difference to before is the different ESC and camera firmware.

However it may be more complicated because there is not one Inspire and one RC, there exist many similar but slightly different models of each and its not sure they behave the same like mine was flying follow me on DJI GO until this unfortunate ESC version but many others reported that fallow me did not work with their Inspire. Its a big chinese mess.
Oh for gods sake is this bloody thread still going on?
I will lock it shortly but @Machoman perhaps for the benefit of all you could explain what you consider an esc does and how an esc's firmware can affect Jello/rolling shutter?
Perhaps you would be kind enough for the benefit of the forum to explain how shaping and tuning the pulse width modulation, feedback and timing from a square wave driven electronic speed controller can translate through to making jello worse?

So the OP has only made 1 post in this thread?

I see Horrendous flying skills and the lack of any video editing skills, none!
(I can not believe no one here has even mentioned it)

First off, you need a serious amount of flying practice, you are just terrible and even the best gimbal on the planet won't save you or make your vids look any better.
Your jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk jerk, yawing the craft back and force is a sure way to set the x3 up for failure, (turn the "yaw" expo down to 30%).
You never came back and answered any of the important questions The Editor asked you, (camera settings, nd filter).

I don't know where you disappeared to, but I hope you are out flying right now, because smoothing out your flying will be 90% of your battle.
Go find an unoccupied park in an open area and practice flying around a slide, or a swing set. Practice flying diagonal and sideways. When at home in your yard, launch the I1 and stay about 2 feet off the ground. Fly all over walking behind it, use it as a leaf blower, follow the sidewalks, fly it pointing away from you as well as it it pointing directly at you.

You need to practice flying before you can expect to get smooth videos ..... period.

Lastly, editing ........ Please don't post a 9 minute video of your problem.
There is no way anyone is even going to bother watching the whole thing (unless they are extremely bored or died at their desk), anything towards the end that may be important will not be seen by most. At least learn how to use windows movie maker (if you have a pc). There are a million "How To's" on you tube and in just a few minutes you will learn how to cut up your videos and only post what's needed.

ps - learning important things like what is expo and how to use it is imperative.
pss - reading the manual would help You a ton.
pss dji makes peeps believe they can simply take the I1 out of the box, charge the battery, then make videos like Remote Rider's, (it doesn't work like that).

Dont watch a 9 minute video if you don't have the time. I was having serious downlink issues causing a rough flight that your seeing. I had a flight to catch and needed to get some west coast b-roll so I grabbed this one video. I'm here now for any questions, I've read the manual, I have quite a few hours of flight time under my belt, and no piloting skill will help with this jello and you know it.

Can someone help me out,
I got bored waiting for the Jello and give up on the video. Is someone able to point out the time I should be looking at to see this horrendous Jello. Not sure what Jello is, but some people get excited by it...
Sorry to be rude, but instead of posting 9 minutes of vid maybe we could just post one minute of the problem areas so people can make an assessment. I hope you find the your answers to your problem here, but please be mindful of the video length as Jello could be the least of your worries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb