Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How does the Mavic 3 compare to the Inspire 2?

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks of the Mavic 3. Do you think it's a better option than the Inspire 2? After all, it is more portable, about the same price, not sure about the quality (I'm guessing it'd be in the X5s camera quarter), and considering the extra flight time. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: rbycapri
In my opinion, this is a great discussion and wouldn’t consider it an “off topic”. The Mavic 3 does have some nice specs & features.

I own pretty much all the Mavic series except M2EAdv… one I was excited for and later felt it wasn’t meeting expectations and decided to pass. I purchased the M2ED soon after release and it was below the mark. That said, I’ve added some comments over on the Mavic forum on the Mavic 3.

I personally feel it missed it’s mark, and is an over priced craft between 2 arenas: consumer & prosumer. The top Cine M3 is the focus… and like a MacBook you have to buy it equiped or ya miss out… can’t add on later. The other option is gaining a partial gain… with MFT sensor that I question will be substantially better than M2P.

The focus is the MFT sensor, ProRes on board, and 1TB NVMe SSD. The OcuSync3, Zoom… actually more Telephoto with Digital zoom, longer flight time and improved OA are secondary perks.

The MFT sensor is nice, although a very small package with a very small lens close to the sensor. The glass is what normally marks a nice setup in addition to sensor. The ability to change lens adds to the benefits of a MFT payload. The M3Cine doesn‘t provide interchangeable payloads or lenses. Provides ProRes, although not CinimaDNG and a non-removable SSD that will need to be downloaded (aka: time). For colder missions, unlike M2 and I2, heated batteries are not available.

I had pondered due to no rumors of an Inspire 3 class, if the M3Cine was going to fill the I3 role in a smaller package; That later shown wasn’t a reality.

Comparing the Autel EVO 2 Enterprise... No GeoZones, 4 payloads with more possibly to release, predicting a MFT sensor, available RTK option... 6K & 8K cameras, multiple Thermal, and GPC case for a nice amount under the price for M3 FlyMore kit.

As a comparison in waiting... the M3 has a lens essentially equal in FOV and power to the m.zuiko 12mm f2... I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the X5S. Overall, not physically seeing or flying the M3P, based only on specs and reviews... I feel it fell short of perceived features/capabilities & expectations… I’ll continue with the M2P & I2 X5S or X7.

Last edited:
I was impressed with the new bird - Mavic 3. That said, I do not plan to get one too soon. I like the sensor features for some of my projects, BUT I am spoiled with the I2 camera setup. I really need to switch out lenses and I have little use for zoom. The only reason I use 25mm+ is to bring in the background. I also need filters for some shots. If I used two operators, that would likely be an issue as well. Also I cannot imagine doing my stuff without the great CrystalSky and Cendence add-ons. The M3 is certainly a nice unit, but seems to lack the features that I need for cinema work. It would be nice however to have a longer flight time and a bit less noise.

Reactions: niki and JSmith
I was impressed with the new bird - Mavic 3. That said, I do not plan to get one too soon. I like the sensor features for some of my projects, BUT I am spoiled with the I2 camera setup. I really need to switch out lenses and I have little use for zoom. The only reason I use 25mm+ is to bring in the background. I also need filters for some shots. If I used two operators, that would likely be an issue as well. Also I cannot imagine doing my stuff without the great CrystalSky and Cendence add-ons. The M3 is certainly a nice unit, but seems to lack the features that I need for cinema work. It would be nice however to have a longer flight time and a bit less noise.
I'd agree on the prop noise! The new Mavics are whisper quite compared to the I2. An improved RC transmission would be welcome too, but not critical factor... stability improvements from LB2 to OcuSync is beneficial.

The camera & lens is important... 25 to 45 (m.zuiko primes) for various missions are useful; Including the use of 9mm flat wide angle is handy for city construction for the wider FOV.

Another that entered my mind was the Go4 App (and 3rd party) compared to Fly App... I haven't found the Fly App as nice.

I agree! The Mavic3 Pro is focused more on Cine. My I2/X7 captures very high resolution aerial panoramas (3Gpx), whereas the Mavic3 Pro will only be able to produce ~380Mpx, which is approx the same as the M2P. Here is an example of a 3Gpx aerial panorama 3Gpx view of Melbourne
The I2 has the ability to change cameras i.e. x4 x5, x7, and interchangeable lenses. Yes, the I2 is larger and louder and has less flight time. But, like all drones in my fleet, each one has its purpose. You simply cannot compare image quality.

I agree! The Mavic3 Pro is focused more on Cine. My I2/X7 captures very high resolution aerial panoramas (3Gpx), whereas the Mavic3 Pro will only be able to produce ~380Mpx, which is approx the same as the M2P. Here is an example of a 3Gpx aerial panorama 3Gpx view of Melbourne
Very nice panorama of Melbourne.

Reactions: BarneyMeyer
It never ceases to amaze how close but so far away DJI gets from hitting the mark. No removable media for ProRes makes this thing useless on a professional set. What is up with the 2 cameras? Give me one good one with 3-4 interchangeable lenses or just one lens with a wide and a telephoto adapter would suffice. This thing could have been a big winner with the I2 approaching its 5th birthday but as it is I don't see the Cine version being a big seller.

Reactions: JSmith and GFields
I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks of the Mavic 3. Do you think it's a better option than the Inspire 2? After all, it is more portable, about the same price, not sure about the quality (I'm guessing it'd be in the X5s camera quarter), and considering the extra flight time. What are your thoughts?
My opinion and I hope not to offend anyone about comparing the M3 to the I2, I think it really is stupid. The I2 is by far the most robust drone in this segment of equipment dedicated to aerial filming, all its components are redundant in order to ensure its operation and minimize failures in flight, considering the cost of the camera installed in the ... The only thing that can be compared to the M3 with the I2 is the fact that it uses the ProRes codec, and only that since the M3 camera does not match or exceed the X5S, much less the X7 ... The M3 has its advantages in terms of to the portability and flexibility to be able to operate it in narrow spaces, flight time, I do not deny that it has a good camera, and it is good for filming and aerial photographs ... it complies with achieving good images but not above the quality of what the I2 offers . It would not be business for DJI to put on the market a drone with the same or better features than the I2, that DJI will never do, as at some point there was speculation about the Phantom 5 with interchangeable lenses and that it would be a camera similar to the one. X7 ... which never was. It is not to say that using ProRes means a lot of information when recording since the files are very little compressed, which is why the M3 Cine has a 1T SSD, but the question does not end there, you must also have a very powerful equipment for editing if is that your film work deserves it, so in that sense we can also say that this drone is dedicated to "professional" work, although personally I believe, that not because the equipment itself has a higher cost, that the post-production also Whatever, for that simple fact, it is called “professional”, since that is the feeling that I have when it is spoken or said; "For the value of this equipment, it is not for everyone, it is for professional use" ... perfectly the person who has the money, the knowledge and wants to buy it or wants to indulge himself, can do it, without this meaning that that person works or dedicate one hundred percent to photography or filmography permanently ...

I just recently realized the use case for me to need an M3.... shooting a competition reality TV show for several months in Costa Rica and kept getting grounded during the live competition runs because the I2 was simply too loud and often too big to fly in the confined spaces under the canopy (blowing leaves etc). I had an Air2s in the kit as a backup backup in case both I2s were down somehow (and also for hyperlapses) and ended up using the Air2s more than the I2 for a lot of the show. That convinced me to order the M3 Cine... for that use case, it fits the bill perfectly... better than Air2s... slightly bigger... much better camera and features. Not really an I2 replacement generally, but actually superior to I2 for certain situations.

Very nice panorama of Melbourne.

Great panorama of Melbourne. Very detailed. What lens did you use for X7 to achive that results. I found out that I get quite soft image with x7 and and 16mm lens. Did you use any app to automate capturing a photos or you did it manually

Hi Damian, glad that you like it. I used a 50mm lens on the X7. The pano is 77970x38985px=3Gpx.
It would be very difficult to do this manually as the batteries would run out. Litchi is the only app that I know of that can control the gimbal/camera. The drone is parked, exposure set manually, then Litchi captures the frames in DNG format. The upper sky frames are captured after landing, switching to a 16mm lens then handholding the drone pointing upwards. DNG's are converted to Jpegs (or Tiff if I need a wider dynamic range) then PTGUI is used for stitching and Pano2VR to create the "virtual tour". As I can clip the sky in the tourmaker, I no longer shoot the upper sky because there's nothing of interest there anyway.
StitchPattern_77970x38985px_3Gpx.jpg

If the Mavic3 with it's 4/3 sensor could fit a 50mm lens that would be a brilliant combination as it would match the Inspire 2 for very high resolution panoramas.

Hi Damian, glad that you like it. I used a 50mm lens on the X7. The pano is 77970x38985px=3Gpx.
It would be very difficult to do this manually as the batteries would run out. Litchi is the only app that I know of that can control the gimbal/camera. The drone is parked, exposure set manually, then Litchi captures the frames in DNG format. The upper sky frames are captured after landing, switching to a 16mm lens then handholding the drone pointing upwards. DNG's are converted to Jpegs (or Tiff if I need a wider dynamic range) then PTGUI is used for stitching and Pano2VR to create the "virtual tour". As I can clip the sky in the tourmaker, I no longer shoot the upper sky because there's nothing of interest there anyway.
View attachment 32369
Thank you for all detail of you capture. Amazing work!

M3 is for more for travel quality videography footage (social media generally /travel stock footage) + little capabilities for post production since its standard its a little up compared last years, where i2 its too big if you consider travelling with ground equipment too.

yet mavic2/air2s + inspire2 best of the best in term of quality/pricing ! but out of production we know..

the m3 is born to not let any other companies have "its segment", as the i2 was born to stay between top tier pro aerial platforms (very $$$$) and above average flying camera drones that my cousins buy.

i3 will step up the game once market is ready , the only "close competitor" is the airpeak wich camera is upgradable and maybe flighttime too or good but noot too expencive custom platforms.

consider dji has the "storm or whatever" unit but you rent whole crew,they never sold it to the public of cinematographers.
so theyr intention is to create "new segments" because of the sell-marketing-buy-"innovative" and dominate all of it strategy.

m3 its a lampant tentative to "control the market of videomakers wich werent satisfied with m2", but actually dont have the money or the use for i2, i see not a professional drone like the i2 no way!

The main problem for me with M3, is the fact that once the internal ssd starts to crap out, it's essentially useless for ProRes and each one will be outside the refresh window.
At least with i2, once the ssd starts failing, it's removable.
Now you could open up the m3c and swap out the ssd, but if it has the same encoded serial chip as cinessd.... It's not going to be a possibility.
In a few short years, there will be quite a few m3c floating round with imminently very bad SSDs

The main problem for me with M3, is the fact that once the internal ssd starts to crap out, it's essentially useless for ProRes and each one will be outside the refresh window.
At least with i2, once the ssd starts failing, it's removable.
Now you could open up the m3c and swap out the ssd, but if it has the same encoded serial chip as cinessd.... It's not going to be a possibility.
In a few short years, there will be quite a few m3c floating round with imminently very bad SSDs
That's an interesting point... the MTBF rating. I've personally not lost a I2 CineSSD 480GB. On the other side, I haven't verified but I would guess the M3 SSD is simply a soldered chip set directly to board. Replacing probably isn't an option other then main board that isn't available yet.

My only experience with I2 CineSSD mods are when we all explored a method that allowed a SSD NVMe swap... which didn't work due to above mentioned serial encoded chip... Still frustrating!

Great panorama of Melbourne. Very detailed. What lens did you use for X7 to achive that results. I found out that I get quite soft image with x7 and and 16mm lens. Did you use any app to automate capturing a photos or you did it manually
Do you get such a soft image with the X7 and one of the other DJI images?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian