Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

HPRC Inspire 2 case review - (INS2-4600W-01 )

Reaction score
Website
www.intrepiddroneservices.com
Hi Folks,

I received my HPRC case today and I have to say I'm very disappointed.

The case itself is top quality but the inserts are a joke. The 2 layer design sounds good in theory but in reality it is not. The biggest problem is that the drone will not sit far enough down in the case and the top casing of the i2 sits approx 2.5 - 3" proud of the foam top. Now I don't know about any of you, but I would not trust travelling with this, as the top of the drone is far too close to the case lid for comfort. Any compression at all would see pressure on the top of the drone. If you look at the attached photos you will see what I am talking about. It's almost like they forgot to rout out the bottom section of the foam. The drone is also not sitting steady and can be rocked back and forth by pushing on the nose.

After paying almost $1000 Australian dollars for this case I expected better than this. Yes the case itself is lovely quality, but what good is it if you can't trust it to safely transport your expensive pro kit. I have contacted HPRC directly about this (today) but they are closed for summer - I will let you know what their response is like when they return after their break.
I may be able to get it sitting further down by modifying/cutting the foam but the whole point of getting this case was so it was a neat, factory design to suit the professional inspire 2 user. I'm afraid it is back to the DJI case for my flight next weekend as I wouldn't trust this case as it stands. If I cut the foam I may be able to get it sitting lower but that kind of defeats the purpose of this teh HPRC factory insert.
As I recall, this was also the biggest complaint about their inspire 2 case. I was told that this was not the case on the new version.
Another issue is that there are 6 battery slots on the top layer if only one remote is in the case. The issue is that there is only 1 slot where there is a foam base. The other 5 batteries slide out as soon as you try and lift the top layer of foam off. Now I'm far from being picky here but that sucks. First time I lifted the top layer off and it happened... I had not realised they would fall out until, bang!! onto the ground the 5 batteries went.

Such a pity,as the case itself is lovely quality. I just can't fathom how they thought this type of fit would cut the mustard. I'm starting to regret my decision not to go for a GPC or Pelican custom solution now.

I also posted a side by side with the DJI case for a size comparison for those that are curious. It's a big unit, no doubt!

It seems that everything I purchase has some issue or another unfortunately :)

Attachments

• IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0218.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 173
  • IMAG0219 1.jpg
    IMAG0219 1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Does anybody on the forum have one of these cases at all so I can even compare notes? Is this just how they come or is it indeed a factory error on the foam inserts? The vendor I purchased it from is saying its a manufactured defect and to return it but I actually really like the case itself.

@Advexure You guys sell these HPRC cases at your store right?. Is this something you have experienced before? I really don't want the hassle of international return shipping if I can avoid it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Yeah that sits a little high for my comfort too. Here's a crappy phone pic of the GPC case so you can compare. Too bad cause the HPRC cases did look really nice.

Thanks for posting that, it certainly helps. That certainly sits a lot lower than mine does, no doubt.

I have an update from B&H - they say that HPRC have said this is a manufacturing defect on the foam insert and they want me to return it with a 25$ voucher for my troubles. It looks like HPRC completely ff'd it up. Personally this is not acceptable to me for an international buyer in Australia, so much hassle.
Also I would have thought there should have been a foam bottom for the 3 - 5 battery slots in the top layer to stop the batteries falling through when the top layer is lifted/removed? It doesn't make sense to me that one battery compartment has a base and the others do not. I'm considering modifying the foam myself to save all this hassle to be honest. It's far from an ideal solution though having paid top $ for this.

Hopefully @Advexure will chime in here and guide me as to what their experience with these case inserts have been.

Looking at the pics on the hprc website, it doesn't look that far out (if at all). On their pics it looks like the inspire sits proud of the foam with the top of the batteries (in the I2) just being slightly proud of the foam.

I've the larger 2780w case and my I2 sits fully within the foam of the base.... but I think the case is around an inch deeper than the case you have.

As to the base for the battery slots and then falling out... doesn't surprise me as they've not really thought the case layout design through fully and simply transitioned it from the Inspire 1 case design (certainly for the 2780w).

I was thinking about selling the big case (it's a clumsy big case) and getting the smaller square one instead, but maybe I won't now!

Is the HPRC case smaller than the GPC? Cause "clumsy big case" is a great way to describe mine. Its a shame its not a little bit smaller. Would making getting in and out things a lot easier.

Looking at the pics on the hprc website, it doesn't look that far out (if at all). On their pics it looks like the inspire sits proud of the foam with the top of the batteries (in the I2) just being slightly proud of the foam.

I've the larger 2780w case and my I2 sits fully within the foam of the base.... but I think the case is around an inch deeper than the case you have.

As to the base for the battery slots and then falling out... doesn't surprise me as they've not really thought the case layout design through fully and simply transitioned it from the Inspire 1 case design (certainly for the 2780w).

I was thinking about selling the big case (it's a clumsy big case) and getting the smaller square one instead, but maybe I won't now!
Certainly seems that they didn't think it through, agreed on that. My case (15.30") And yours is (15.28") deep. So yours is the tiniest bit shallower in fact.

The case is almost exactly the same size as your GPC mate.

NickU's is much bigger width wise than both though.

OK so I suggested that B&H and HPRC send me new foam inserts rather than me having to send a massive case back to the USA. This makes more sense to me as I really like the actual case quality and design. It sounds to me like HPRC have messed up on the foam insert design on a large batch of the top foam piece or potentially all of them. They cut out the base of 5 of the battery compartments which they should not have done and also did not cut out the section for the I2 correctly. It's almost like this is a mash of the Inspire and the Inspire 2 shapes.
Let's see how this turns out as everyone deserves a chance to correct an issue. This would be an excellent case if this was sorted out. In the meantime I'm going to modify the insert to how it should have been. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Update.. pics post Intervention by Mr Dremel... Much happier now as it sits down much further. You can close the case now and the top of the inspire is nowhere near the lid. :cool:

Let's see how long it takes B&H/HPRC to send me the new redesigned pieces and if they are any better than my DIY job.

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
Does anybody on the forum have one of these cases at all so I can even compare notes? Is this just how they come or is it indeed a factory error on the foam inserts? The vendor I purchased it from is saying its a manufactured defect and to return it but I actually really like the case itself.

@Advexure You guys sell these HPRC cases at your store right?. Is this something you have experienced before? I really don't want the hassle of international return shipping if I can avoid it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi @theirishdroneranger, yes we've had a fair amount of this HPRC come through here. We have never seen concern from owners of this case, nor have we personally been concerned about the top of the aircraft with the top of the case. There seems to be plenty of padding and we've never seen it to be an issue. I really wonder if the foam set you have received was not properly cut. It does sit up a bit higher but to no height that we believe is concerning to the protection of the top of the aircraft. Possibly if a very heavy case hit the top center of the case with significant dropped force it could possibly do some damage but overall it seems to be very solid.

In regards to the battery slots, I guess we've come to normalization with the slots and pulling the batteries out of them, also if I recall, they're tight enough and somewhat sticky to more or less hold the batteries in there. I could see how this could be frustrating at first and may take a little getting used to when pulling and prepping your equipment.

Happy to hear that your vendor and HPRC are working to get you a new foam set. Unfortunate that you've had to resort to a little DIY but hey, some of the smallest modifications I've seen made to things can make a world of a difference. Despite the issues we hope you are enjoying the case for it's other benefits and positives.

Safe flying! :cool:

Thanks for the response @Advexure I have had it confirmed from HPRC US that my foam inserts are not correct and they need replacing. The drone was touching the plastic on the lid as it stood so was in no way correct. You couldn't even close the case without pushing on the drone.

To be honest, since I modded it myself, I love the case apart from the bottomless battery sections. They are a terrible idea and there is not enough purchase to keep them in. I am at present modifying them using the included foam pieces that were in the second remote section. Cant understand why they didn't do that originally. Why have one battery section where its protruding from the top and none of the others are? At least you can easily remove the battery when its slightly proud of the foam. I really hope they will now change this design slightly based on this feedback. They seemed receptive to it.

Once I have this modded correctly, I think it will be a superb case. I must say that I love the actual HPRC case. Very slick design.

Reactions: Advexure
Can you easily add something to the bottom of the first layer of foam to prevent the batteries from falling through? I'm considering this case, but can see myself needing to remove the top portion without unpacking everything on the top section

Can you easily add something to the bottom of the first layer of foam to prevent the batteries from falling through? I'm considering this case, but can see myself needing to remove the top portion without unpacking everything on the top section
Hi Mate. There are two cutout pieces from the second controller section. I am cutting those up and using the pieces to plug the bottom. I'll post a picture when its finished.

Reactions: Advexure

Yeah that sits a little high for my comfort too. Here's a crappy phone pic of the GPC case so you can compare. Too bad cause the HPRC cases did look really nice.
What do you think of the GPC case? I just got one and I'm not too impressed - the zipper is hard to operate and the back motors and feet have to be squeezed past the back flap. Looking for other options.

What do you think of the GPC case? I just got one and I'm not too impressed - the zipper is hard to operate and the back motors and feet have to be squeezed past the back flap. Looking for other options.

Well... The particular person in me could point out a few things that bug me. But overall, it seems to hold everything in place well enough. I was expecting denser foam. I also have to kind of work the back of the airframe in, its easier without the RC in already. Without seeing other options in person, I can't say if its the best, but I know that it seems to be regarded as the "go-to" case.

I'm familiar with SKB through all my music gear. Their cases aren't boutique or anything, but solid and got the job done. Oh, and its huuuuuuuuge.

Well... The particular person in me could point out a few things that bug me. But overall, it seems to hold everything in place well enough. I was expecting denser foam. I also have to kind of work the back of the airframe in, its easier without the RC in already. Without seeing other options in person, I can't say if its the best, but I know that it seems to be regarded as the "go-to" case.

I'm familiar with SKB through all my music gear. Their cases aren't boutique or anything, but solid and got the job done. Oh, and its huuuuuuuuge.
I screwed up in my comment...I got the backpack, not the hard case. This case looks good - DJI Inspire 2 Case - Travel Mode w/ Wheels

Oh, I actually was thinking about getting the backpack case myself...
Don't. I'm returning mine. It doesn't open far enough at the bottom - hard to get the motors in - then they stick up too far and there's not much protection in the flap; the zipper is really hard to operate on the corners. I expected better. I have a nice ProCraft case for my P4 - which is just made much better, but I don't see one they offer for the I2.

Reactions: Christopher Sayles
Don't. I'm returning mine. It doesn't open far enough at the bottom - hard to get the motors in - then they stick up too far and there's not much protection in the flap; the zipper is really hard to operate on the corners. I expected better. I have a nice ProCraft case for my P4 - which is just made much better, but I don't see one they offer for the I2.

Let us know if you find a better option...I'm a fan of backpacks for anything heavy and/or awkward to carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nylebrown77