Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA I got caught between needing a sport pilot license and 107

Reaction score
Get a sport pilots license or wait for the FAA? This was the big question about two years ago when we decided to take the leap to establish Force Aerial.
I decided to go for the pilots license. If I could get my airman certificate before the FAA came up with a more streamlined approach to the growing aerial video industry (now part 107) we could legally establish our business before the big flood.
Unfortunately the plan did not go according to plan. This is not to say there are still some positives. But in this post I want to focus on three questions:
1. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
2. How much time and money was spent on your sport license?
3. Is the FAA working on partially or fully compensating those who did take this risk? ~tax breaks~

Get a sport pilots license or wait for the FAA? This was the big question about two years ago when we decided to take the leap to establish Force Aerial.
I decided to go for the pilots license. If I could get my airman certificate before the FAA came up with a more streamlined approach to the growing aerial video industry (now part 107) we could legally establish our business before the big flood.
Unfortunately the plan did not go according to plan. This is not to say there are still some positives. But in this post I want to focus on three questions:
3. Is the FAA working on partially or fully compensating those who did take this risk? ~tax breaks~

3. Is the FAA working on partially or fully compensating those who did take this risk? (emphasis on risk)
You are joking, right? How about all of us who went through the expense of a 333. Some people even paid lawyers to write their 333, should the government reimburse them? The government is not in the business of compensating people for bad business decisions. You gambled (could have waited for 107) and lost. Ce la vie.

3. Is the FAA working on partially or fully compensating those who did take this risk? (emphasis on risk)
You are joking, right? How about all of us who went through the expense of a 333. Some people even paid lawyers to write their 333, should the government reimburse them? The government is not in the business of compensating people for bad business decisions. You gambled (could have waited for 107) and lost. Ce la vie.

Thank you for responding. I am sorry to hear that you lost your time and money through the 333 process. Our situations are similar. Unfortunately it sounds like you got screwed by the government even more than I was. Or were you? Please explain your situation.

You are right. The decision to get a sport pilot license was a risk. But it was not a bad business decision. When 107 came out it felt like we had made a bad business decision, but some businesses/individuals hire us because we have a licensed sport pilot flying the gear.

The reason why I made this thread was to find people who had a similar experience. I have not run into or read about this same situation.

Regarding #3 - It would be nice if the government would compensate. But I realize that is highly unlikely. If they are working on something I want to know about it. That is why I added #3

Beginning any new business is a risk and, according to Bloomberg, 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. A whopping 80% crash and burn. The reason I said I lost money was all the jobs I had to pass on until my 333 was approved. Can't even guess how much I've lost since then waiting for airspace waivers. My point was that there is no way anyone is going to assess any liability on the government because they chose to start a business before being in regulatory compliance.

Very very very good points. Creating a business is very risky and even if you do succeed after ~18 months there are still other factors to overcome. I appreciate you making these points, but I don't want this thread to become a "Risks of Starting an Drone Business."
I want to find out if anyone else had a similar experience to ours. I think its important for those who have overcome similar situations to discuss them. Maybe there is a solution for recuperating a portion of our losses.

Are you kidding me? You want to feds to reimburse you for your failure to execute your business plan? You are out of your mind. why would the FAA be "working on a plan" to compensate anyone that failed in their business attempts? You had TWO years to get your sports pilot license which only takes 20 hours of flight time 15 of which are with an instructor and passing a written exam. It only cost around $4000 and you say that you couldn't get it? and now you want to be reimbursed???

Why were you not able to get a sport pilots license? was it because you lacked the skill? maybe you lacked the focus to do the studying? How is that the fault of the FAA and why should they reimburse you?

Are you kidding me? You want to feds to reimburse you for your failure to execute your business plan? You are out of your mind. why would the FAA be "working on a plan" to compensate anyone that failed in their business attempts? You had TWO years to get your sports pilot license which only takes 20 hours of flight time 15 of which are with an instructor and passing a written exam. It only cost around $4000 and you say that you couldn't get it? and now you want to be reimbursed???

Why were you not able to get a sport pilots license? was it because you lacked the skill? maybe you lacked the focus to do the studying? How is that the fault of the FAA and why should they reimburse you?

AMG Pilot,
It was my mistake not explaining that I am a sport pilot. I am one of the people that took the leap toward obtaining the sport pilots license instead of waiting for the FAA to come out with what is now known as part 107. This is what this thread is about. That group of people discussing thier similar experience. Please, The negativity is not welcome.
Also, please do a little more research about how much a sport pilots license costs and how long it takes. I think you will surprise yourself.

AMG Pilot,
It was my mistake not explaining that I am a sport pilot. I am one of the people that took the leap toward obtaining the sport pilots license instead of waiting for the FAA to come out with what is now known as part 107. This is what this thread is about. That group of people discussing thier similar experience. Please, The negativity is not welcome.
Also, please do a little more research about how much a sport pilots license costs and how long it takes. I think you will surprise yourself.

I am a commercially rated pilot, I know just how little it takes to get a sport pilots license. As for the negativity, I'm not I'm being honest.

So you are upset that you didn't follow thru with your 333 application and now you can fly with a 107? it's called progress

I am a commercially rated pilot, I know just how little it takes to get a sport pilots license. As for the negativity, I'm not I'm being honest.

So you are upset that you didn't follow thru with your 333 application and now you can fly with a 107? it's called progress

Fair enough. I appreciate the honesty. Where you in a similar situation?

Am am not upset. In hindsight, I'm actually glad that it happened this way. Like I said before, my pilots license is helping us get jobs.

I simply want to know if anyone else is in a similar situation. The three questions are there to spark conversation.
Thank you

Early 2016, I actually had a member here help me with getting a 333 exemption. While I was waiting for that to get approved I decided I'd get my PPL. I started my training April of 2016 and have yet to finish due to rupturing my achilles and also expecting my son. I had accumulated 35 hours was close to completion beforeI injured my tendon back in April. It definitely set me back a little but I will eventually complete it.

The 107 to me is not as sacred as a sport pilots license. I would be ecstatic if I had one of those. Even some local people I know think obtaining a 107 doesn't really "test" you enough. There should be a manditory flight test of skills. I went through the 333 with an attorney and was in this game 7 yrs ago building my own stuff. The "work" is after you obtain the 107, when you have to come up with answers/solutions/safety measures, for waivers....:)

Having received your Sport Pilot license I don't think it's a complete waste. I know with a Private Pilot rating, all you have to do is go to IACRA site and apply for Remote Pilot cert and you're all set. You don't have to take the $150 knowledge test. Not sure if Sport Pilot is the same, but it probably is. I would check into that. It'll save you time and the $150 test fee.

Reactions: ATU
Having received your Sport Pilot license I don't think it's a complete waste. I know with a Private Pilot rating, all you have to do is go to IACRA site and apply for Remote Pilot cert and you're all set. You don't have to take the $150 knowledge test. Not sure if Sport Pilot is the same, but it probably is. I would check into that. It'll save you time and the $150 test fee.
Thanks for the info Steve.. didn't know this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters