I want the Osmo+, however...

Reaction score
Hello! So I want to make hiking+timelapse videos as a hobby and interested in the Osmo Plus. I have the DJI Mavic and absolutely love it; I want to love the Osmo, but I've read so many mixed reviews & major flaws (mainly amazing hardware BUT is the software is very glitchy+unuseable) of the Osmo. I have a few questions:

1) I use to fly the DJI Mavic with my Android Nexus 6p; the Go4 app constantly crashed. Now I use an ipad mini and no issues. That being said, do other Android & Apple users have any issuses with the Go4 app & Osmo?

2) I've heard connecting your phone via wifi (or is it bluetooth?) with the Osmo is very unreliable & slow.

3) How's the battery when shooting 4k? A lot of people have complained that in reality, you ONLY get ~8 min of 4k footage per battery.

Your help would be much appreciated; the footage from the Osmo Plus seems very impressive, however, it seems like a hassle just to get it to work as how it is advertised. I honestly have no idea which reviewer to trust, it really seems 50/50 to me, thus I'm skeptical with dropping ~$600-700 on the Osmo Plus.

I want to make 4k nature+timelapse videos as a hobby; I currently have the DJI Mavic & want to purchase a handheld+portable gimbal. I've spent a lot of time reading about the Osmo Plus, read/seen amazing things about the hardware & footage; however, there appears to be a lot of glitchy software, issues connecting the phone to the Osmo, app issues, etc.

What are your thoughts with using a GoPro Hero 5 with the Osmo Mobile instead of the Osmo Plus? Here's my reason behind combining the two:

1) I have the Nexus 6p (android phone) & when I used it to fly my Dji Mavic, the Go4 app crashed multiple times which got super frustrating; thus I bought a ipad mini & no issues since. I don't want to buy an iPhone just to use the Osmo, thus want to use a GoPro Hero 5 which has a built in monitor for me to see what I'm filming.

2) I've heard waiting for wifi (or bluetooth???) to connect your phone with the Osmo Mobile/Plus can be a hassle, thus again the Gopro monitor allows me to use the Osmo without wasting time getting the phone & app set up.

My main concerns with the Osmo is using the Go4 app on my Android & wasting time connecting my Android to the Osmo

The questions I had:

1) What features am I missing out on the Go4 app if I use a Gopro+Osmo mobile (without the app) versus phone+Osmo Plus (with the app)? I want to do panning time lapses, but I can just buy a Timelapse accessory for $20 for the gopro for the same results, right?

2) Any recommendations for portable gimbals for a hobbylist like me? Thoughts on the GoPro Grip? Thrid party camera stabilizers?

I have merged your two threads/posts since they are effectively the same thing!
Please do not double post - thank you.

I got an Osmo+ from Advexure prior to a trip to Florida last week as I wanted something handheld that I could use while boating. I've been impressed with DJI products and since I got my Mavic back in the late fall and enjoy the Osmo as well. I'm just not sure I'll get a whole lot of use out of it as my wife and I don't do a whole lot of moving around these days except for a trip here and there as she is recovering from hip replacement and we're trying to take it easy