Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 Gimbal/Camera connection leak

Reaction score
My I2/5S experienced screen loss but video/photos recorded ok. I found this leak after removing camera/gimbal and it appears to be a type of lubricant as it is oily to the touch. Removed with q tip and screen loss went away but still see small amounts after each flight. I suspected the liquid in the rubber gimbal bumpers but can find no indication of leakage. Any suggestions appreciated.
IMG-0090.JPG

My I2/5S experienced screen loss but video/photos recorded ok. I found this leak after removing camera/gimbal and it appears to be a type of lubricant as it is oily to the touch. Removed with q tip and screen loss went away but still see small amounts after each flight. I suspected the liquid in the rubber gimbal bumpers but can find no indication of leakage. Any suggestions appreciated.
View attachment 30230
Did you buy new or second hand? It appears to me like someone sprayed some sort of lubricant around the perimeter of the twisting center disc with those strip contacts for gimbal connection and now it started to leak out. I would personally try to open it and spray, (almost drench) the inside with IPA to remove completely the old lube and then just sparingly lube only where it is needed to be lubed for smooth twisting operation. The lube might have gotten into tiny strip contacts for the ribbon cables inside of the assembly causing the issues with loss of video feedback you experience. It should be relativly simple fix but if you do not feel up to it, send it in for repair. The problem can only get worse over time if the lube got where it is not suppose to be.

Excellent information and suggestion. I have flown it 14 times since the posted photo and each flight resulted in less liquid. None of the original flight symptoms after the first cleaning. It is at the point now where I can barely find a trace of liquid after a flight and hope to reach the point where it is gone.
Appreciate your input.

Excellent information and suggestion. I have flown it 14 times since the posted photo and each flight resulted in less liquid. None of the original flight symptoms after the first cleaning. It is at the point now where I can barely find a trace of liquid after a flight and hope to reach the point where it is gone.
Appreciate your input.

You might - with a small ear tip - as well apply a quality car disk brake cleaner. the ones from Würth Germany for example are excellent.

We use them in our workshop to remove oily residues.

Brake Cleaner Aerosol 500ml 08901087 Brake Cleaner Aerosol 500ml 08901087: Amazon.de: Auto

Looks like these but I am sure there are similar US products.

Cheers
Chris

Please do not use Brake Cleaner, if you use anything choose a quality Contact Cleaner. Brake Cleaner is more likely to melt plastic parts.

you are right, forgot to mention this. cheap brake cleaner can do that, quality ones however will not affect o-rings and the like,
for example Ultra Clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth