Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Image transmission settings

Reaction score
Can one of Insipre 1 owners or experts elaborate on the benefits of changing the channels .
I'm curious to see if these settings are helpful during flight .

I have mine always set on Auto. However, if you find that you are having issues on the Auto setting you can look for a clear channel and set it to that.
Image transmission. Is it set in auto for 1.25 miles? Further distance causes me to loose image transmission. Past 1.25 miles i noticed it needs to be set to custom by selecting a channel. At 1.25 i still have max gps, and rc control. Just a week image transmission signal warning.

Image transmission. Is it set in auto for 1.25 miles? Further distance causes me to loose image transmission. Past 1.25 miles i noticed it needs to be set to custom by selecting a channel. At 1.25 i still have max gps, and rc control. Just a week image transmission signal warning.

My understanding is if you lower the bitrate you will get further video transmission distance.
This would follow since higher data rates require greater transmission power.
I am not entirely sure the Inspire transmits full HD 1080 to the ground. I have seen suggestions it is only 720p that is transmitted and variable bitrate with upscaling done in the TX and then output through the HDMI port. In fact, the more I think about it I can't see how the Inspire could be transmitting full HD 1080 video to the ground..... the bandwidth just isn't there in the 5.8ghz band.
Obviously it isn't transmitting uncompressed HD as that just isn't feasible with the limited hardware that makes up the lightbridge system. It would mean moving 1.5Gbps!
So that leaves either compressed HD or as I see it compressed HD ready at 720p.
Even compressed full HD using something like H264 baseline instead of high profile would need something in the order of 9,500kbps. As R/C is limited to 100mW ERP you would only get a few hundred meters (maybe a little more with directional antenna which the Inspire doesn't possess).
That being the case I am convinced that you are only getting a 720 feed to ground and then hardware upscaling is happening before it is output via HDMI on the back of the transmitter or fed into the iPad/tablet via USB.
Sorry for all that, was just working that through in my head!
OK, so upshot is.... If your video feed is breaking up at any given range, lower the bitrate for improved distance.

Edit to this post - This has now been confirmed that the Inspire DOES NOT transmit HD to the ground (And now reflected as such on DJI's own description). As I suspected, it is 720p that is being streamed to the remote with no upscaling done before it reaches the HDMI out. DJI should not be calling this HD preview because quite simply it isn't ! Still, describing it as HD has/will sell more units obviously :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ill lower it down. See if it get longer range. Like i mentioned not hitting a full mile before loosing video transmission.

My understanding is if you lower the bitrate you will get further video transmission distance.
I am not entirely sure the Inspire transmits full HD 1080 to the ground. I have seen suggestions it is only 720p that is transmitted and variable bitrate with upscaling done in the TX and then output through the HDMI port. In fact, the more I think about it I can't see how the Inspire could be transmitting full HD 1080 video to the ground..... the bandwidth just isn't there in the 5.8ghz band.
Obviously it isn't transmitting uncompressed HD as that just isn't feasible with the limited hardware that makes up the lightbridge system. It would mean moving 1.5Gbps!
Even compressed full HD using something like H264 baseline instead of high profile would need something in the order of 9,500kbps. As R/C is limited to 100mW ERP you would only get a few hundred meters (maybe a little more with directional antenna which the Inspire doesn't possess).
That being the case I am convinced that you are only getting a 720 feed to ground and then hardware upscaling is happening before it is output via HDMI on the back of the transmitter or fed into the iPad/tablet via USB.
OK, so upshot is.... If your video feed is breaking up at any given range, lower the bitrate for improved distance.
Editor, Inspire uses 2.4GHz to and from the RC. 5.8GHz is only used between RC's if you have a second RC (slave) to run the camera

Im on a 2 year old iPad that connects via USB to the Inspire1 and the old style Apple connector to my iPad, and my transmission is jerky and aweful. Any feedback? Just got my Inspire today, downloaded the Pilot App, upgraded software, etc...

Flies like a champ, vid quality is great, but the feed is worthless...thank you in advance!

Long time Vision+ user...

Ok Thank you...just put the app on my iPhone 5s, and it works flawlessly there (don't get the 2nd window on the bottom right screen for the maps though)... any other less expensive screen recommendations other than a new iPad?

I use an iPad Air 2 and the video is beautiful, though a little garbled if you go through tight turns. It blurs away quite a bit. Unsure if this translates to the actual video as I've yet to get home to my 28" 4k monitor to look.
Any comparison to performance between the Galaxy Tab 8.1 for receiving/display the video feed?

Ok Thank you...just put the app on my iPhone 5s, and it works flawlessly there (don't get the 2nd window on the bottom right screen for the maps though)... any other less expensive screen recommendations other than a new iPad?

You could consider the Samsung Galaxy tab PRO 4 8.4 tablet

Im on a 2 year old iPad that connects via USB to the Inspire1 and the old style Apple connector to my iPad, and my transmission is jerky and aweful. Any feedback? Just got my Inspire today, downloaded the Pilot App, upgraded software, etc...

Flies like a champ, vid quality is great, but the feed is worthless...thank you in advance!

Long time Vision+ user...
EXACT same problem on my "New iPad"

Would lowering the resolution automatically change the transmission rate? I.e from 4K to 720 would result in 4Mbps(1.86mi) as opposed to 6Mbps or higher? I'm trying to figure out if we need to manually set this in the image transmission settings to get a smoother video at a greater distance or would reducing the quality from 4k to 720p automatically reduce the bandwidth?

Edit to this post - This has now been confirmed that the Inspire DOES NOT transmit HD to the ground (And now reflected as such on DJI's own description). As I suspected, it is 720p that is being streamed to the remote with no upscaling done before it reaches the HDMI out. DJI should not be calling this HD preview because quite simply it isn't ! Still, describing it as HD has/will sell more units obviously :rolleyes:
FWW - 1280x720 is considered by the ATSC to be "HD", actually anything above 720x576 counts as "HD" from a technical stand point. They really should be more clear, but...

Would lowering the resolution automatically change the transmission rate? I.e from 4K to 720 would result in 4Mbps(1.86mi) as opposed to 6Mbps or higher? I'm trying to figure out if we need to manually set this in the image transmission settings to get a smoother video at a greater distance or would reducing the quality from 4k to 720p automatically reduce the bandwidth?
The I1 always transmits 720p whatever the camera settings, and bitrate is auto-adjusted on the fly based on signal quality (you can force it if you want).

Late to the show i know but hd is 720! FULL hd is 1080. They are correct in calling it hd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool