Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IMU calibration

Caught this on facebook. I'll certainly remember to do this before the first flight and after software updates.

Remember to do this on a perfectly level surface. But yeah, first thing after firmware update, then compass calibration at the field.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with some of the erratic behavior we've heard about.

So much for fly right out of the box dig is going to have allot problems I now wish I would have waited got mine today can't even get the app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great tip! Just got done the firmware upgrade, had to try a few times but it's done. Didn't even see the IMU calibration. After needing it a lot on my phantom 1 I should have immediately looked for this.

I tried calibeating my imu but after I do it and it completes 100% I press check and it still says it needs calibration ? On my phantom when I re check it says none needed any ideas ?

Edit I had to do it a few times after the last time it shows no calibration needed. I would not trust its done correctly the first time without pressing check imu button. To make sure. The video does not shoe this but I'd def do it. Note I did check to see if it needed calibration before hitting calibrate the first time and it did. So any one with a new inspire I would def check there's.

Last edited:
All you have to do is scan the QR code in your iOS device. It will request your S/N and then load the App. No need to go to outside links.

So I went to check on the calibration, went through above steps and clicked " check calibration" and a "calibration required" message popped up. Of course I did advanced calibration after, but maybe it's a real good thing I found this post as I haven't flown yet and this possibly saved from at minimum an erratic, not to smooth first flight. Thanks again Adam for this forum!

Does anybody know pluged cable in from tx to my iPad opened flight sim says can't work when disconected from aircraft

Do you mean the aircraft must be on to I was only using iPad to tx

So I just checked my IMU again after a few flights and it says calibration needed again so I did it advanced only goes to 97% then it runs the basic cal on its own and completes . but I don't get it why so often? is this something we are going to have to do every flight now ? confused

So I just checked my IMU again after a few flights and it says calibration needed again so I did it advanced only goes to 97% then it runs the basic cal on its own and completes . but I don't get it why so often? is this something we are going to have to do every flight now ? confused

No, IMU cal is only required if there is suspicion that the craft needs it, like it's drifting when in attitude mode, but not because of wind or that it's constantly fighting to maintain it's position when in P-GPS and there is no wind. The IMU cal needs to be done on a level surface that does not have any magnetic interference, per Tahoe Ed. If after the cal, it tells you that it needs it again, consider changing location. Temperature seems to be a factor, as the IMU heats up rapidly during calibration. It's best if the craft is in cool temps before starting the cal.
BTW, I calibrate the IMU of every new MR I get shipped to me, because of the possibility that it got bumped around during transport.

IMU cal is being done on a completely flat glass top even checked with a level. over a carpeted surface i have tried in other locations flew it today and it flew just fine or it seemed to. i guess I'm just concerned that after a few fights it says it needs cal again. seems to me its smart enough to know when it should or not ? after I redo the calibration it says no cal needed but after a few flights and after sitting for hours and I check it it says cal needed. I guess I'm just begin extra cautious. :)

IMU cal is being done on a completely flat glass top even checked with a level. over a carpeted surface i have tried in other locations flew it today and it flew just fine or it seemed to. i guess I'm just concerned that after a few fights it says it needs cal again. seems to me its smart enough to know when it should or not ? after I redo the calibration it says no cal needed but after a few flights and after sitting for hours and I check it it says cal needed. I guess I'm just begin extra cautious. :)

Just to confirm, when you say that it needs cal again after a few flights, are you getting a warning before flight, or are you going to "sensors" and selecting "Check IMU." If the latter, you don't need to do that. That is being overly cautious. If it's behaving, then "It's All Good." Compass cal, that you should do every time you change flying location.

yes when I manually check it. its says needs Calibration not warnings on the screen before or during flight. I will say after the last time i did it the inspire seems to fly even better. compass i always do in a new location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44