Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Indoor Flight

Reaction score
If anyone has any video on indoor flight, I am curious to see how well it takes off and hovers. I want to takeoff from my desk and just have it hover at 8 feet from the ground, take a picture of me sitting at my desk, and bring it down. But I'm concerned it may either takeoff haphazardly or not remain steady.

I flew in an underground parking structure and it was rock steady. I only lost Opti when flying too fast. I don't have any video because I was test flying without the gimbal attached. It really depends how much contrast there is on the surface for the optical flow sensor to track.

The optical flow sensor only has a range of 2.5m (~8.2 ft) so you'll be flying at the limits of the sensor. It may switch to the barometer and then the altitude holding would be less stable. Are you trying to make it hover directly over top of you from a straight down shot or will it be a little bit away from you shooting back? I'm hoping you have tall ceilings in your office becuase you'll be flying very close to the ceiling if your office is a common height.

I would not recommend doing this but in the end it's your bird, and your money.
mine registers up to 11 feet ?

I have 14 foot ceilings in this office but I'm a chicken eagle. I'll wait for a while and learn more. Tks for reply. But, in follow up, Joola, are you suggesting that given the optical flow sensor's limitation that the I1 should not be flown indoor above 8 feet or so?

We flew them in a flying cage at CES almost 30 hours straight. If you look at the Opti sensor icon on the lower left hand corner it will tell you if you have or do not have that available to you. We were up as high at 9' and the icon did disappear at times. We were mostly flying in P-ATTI. Very stable. I would fly it tail in and pan the gimbal to point at you .

My first flight with the bird was indoors (it's currently -5°F and I don't feel like venturing outside without gloves for 20 minutes). Very steady flight with P-OPTI. Concrete floor with minor blemishing- held position without a problem.

J3V45Nr.jpg

Reactions: kilowonghk
I hear people noting less drift indoors with the new firmware update. I have flown only a few times indoors and have noticed with the firmware update it was more stable on takeoff but still drifting enough that I was nervous. Maybe my floor isn't varied enough?

I hear people noting less drift indoors with the new firmware update. I have flown only a few times indoors and have noticed with the firmware update it was more stable on takeoff but still drifting enough that I was nervous. Maybe my floor isn't varied enough?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan