Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 camera mounts for other cameras

Reaction score
Website
www.mortarart.com.au
So you've got yourself an Inspire 1 production unit already (I hope). You might've taken it for a spin ... even gotten yourself some test footage. Chances are you already are a professional aerial photographer (or a serious hobbyist thanks to local aviation laws), which means you probably already have a stills camera and a GoPro.

Well, I'd love to help.

I need someone to photograph the crap out of (and disassemble) and measure the Inspire 1's gimbal and gimbal mounting system. I'll be offering a free, universal camera mount (you'll still need to pay for postage) for your efforts. Anyone interested?

Reactions: jonathanivy
Welcome. That's a big request for a first post! I don't own one yet but if I did I would not disassemble it, despite your offer. Its a bit much I think to expect folks to do that when you are are not confident enough to buy one and disassemble your own. Just sayin'

IrishSights; from my experience disassembling Phantom 2 Vision mounts and poking around in them, there's nothing particularly difficult about the task. I think you might be confusing a request to tinker around with the gimbal and camera's electronics. I just want to know how far apart the dampener balls and mounting screws are so I can provide people with options.

As for your point about not being confident enough to buy one and disassemble it; well. I bought a Phantom 2 Vision and made camera mounts for that, but I never recouped the cost of the UAV, 3D printer etc. I have, to date, made about $700 revenue from those sales.

I'd love to help out the community and produce a DSLR mount for the Inspire 1. I already have most of the design ready, and as I mentioned; I'm willing to send one for free (value $80) to anyone who will spend about 10 minutes with a pair of calipers.

I'd love to help out the community and produce a DSLR mount for the Inspire 1. I already have most of the design ready, and as I mentioned; I'm willing to send one for free (value $80) to anyone who will spend about 10 minutes with a pair of calipers.

DSLR mount? o_O

In case you're still unsure of what I mean, here are a few shots:

In response to your attached P2 images. What effect did the extra payload have on your flight times? And what limitations in terms of camera controls did you encounter? Interested to see your inspire DSLR mount. I guess you would lose access to the dji pilot app though?

j_forrester

The affect on flight times varied with payload. An RX-100 with no FPV gear flies for just as long as a GoPro with a 3 axis gimbal, while a Samsung NX-1100 weighing in at 390g only flew for about 10 minutes, and 12 minutes at 350g, with a lighter lens. Flight performance was also affected. The P2 was sluggish at the upper limits of it's take off weight after pilots reduced gains to get rid of vibrations.

As for camera controls, well, I shoot constantly. I do photogrammetry, so I handle big data anyway, and the more shots the higher the quality of my scan. A customer of mine has managed to link up the Phantom's 7th channel to his RX-100's shutter and he sells this system (along with my mount); http://droner-systems.myshopify.com

Some cameras also have smart phone connectivity via wifi, but it's usually not much good past 30m.

Now that DJI's SDK is out, I will be looking at implementing FPV through the Vision app, on unique cameras, starting with the Samsung line up, with full controls, and I'll probably move on to doing the same with the Inspire afterwards. It's just not as high on my priorities, because of it's entry price point.

It's a mount for DSLRs, similar to the one that I use on my Phantom 2 Vision. I use quadrotors for stills more often than video and I found DJI's cameras to be lacking in that department.

Wow! I immediately thought DSLR = 5Dmk3...

I would like to mount my Canon S100 to the Inspire but probably with something simple as velcro and zip-ties. S100 would probably not have drastic affect on flight time?

Would be more than happy to assist with your original request but at this moment not too sure how long it will take for my Inspire to get here...

IrishSights; from my experience disassembling Phantom 2 Vision mounts and poking around in them, there's nothing particularly difficult about the task. I think you might be confusing a request to tinker around with the gimbal and camera's electronics. I just want to know how far apart the dampener balls and mounting screws are so I can provide people with options.

As for your point about not being confident enough to buy one and disassemble it; well. I bought a Phantom 2 Vision and made camera mounts for that, but I never recouped the cost of the UAV, 3D printer etc. I have, to date, made about $700 revenue from those sales.

That's fine and measurements is fine but you asked to 'disassemble', that is not fine! I appreciate what you are attempting to do it sounds great and what community is all about. If I had just spent the equivilent of $3000 I think is a bit much to ask to 'disassemble' a gimbal assembly. Now that you have explained it a little more it is easier understood.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong I too do photogrammetry and would be interested in your mount.

Last edited:
Actually, some crazy guys got the original Phantom to lift a full, 650g DSLR, and I'm fairly confident that the Samsung NX-1 is not only a better camera than the 5Dmk3, but more suited to being lifted by platforms like this, especially now that the v2 Phantom and Inspire have a little more payload to spare.

Skillet; I'm assuming that you already have a Cannon S100? I've got customers flying them with the Phantom & Phantom 2.

I'd love some help with the measurements if you have your Inspire already. My offer still stands for a free mount for the first person to help me out. I need to know the distance between the dampener balls and any relevant details of the mount above it. I can either provide a mount that people swap by disconnecting and reconnecting the dampeners or I can use the plate above as a fixed point, depending on your preference.

That's fine and measurements is fine but you asked to 'disassemble', that is not fine!

I don't want to be the sort of person who would argue that a pilot should know how his aircraft functions mechanically. I find the DIY guys in the 3D printing and multirotor field a little tiresome actually, but if you want to use one of my mounts there's a very high chance that you will need to remove something from your aircraft. I don't want to sell a mount to someone who expects a full aircraft that works out of the box. This is not my market. I hope you understand why I made that distinction; especially for a first time customer who may need to give me design feedback.

MortarArt: removing something like a gimbal plate is one thing, disassembly is another. if I hade an I1, like most others, I would be interested in working with you. However I will be too late for that as i am not an early adopter of anything and may end up being a bog standard customer in the future :)

Oh, that's another reason (other than the cost) that I'm not buying the Inspire. I absolutely agree with you on early adoption of this sort of thing. My camera mounts are complex enough ... can you imagine delivering a fully functional aircraft / camera unit on day 1 without any problems?

That said; if you're the sort of hardy consumer that can spend time accommodating for bugs, then you can get an advantage if you use new technology.

I guess I'm just too risk averse.

Sorry for the mix up with the wording. I only meant it in the context of removing the parts that will later be redundant anyway.

I sold my Phantom 2 Vision + € 852. Getting my INSPIRE Monday, 5 January, has been notified that it has arrived, but DHL does not deliver on Saturdays and Sundays, inspire1 arrived late Friday night. pleases me. Ordered directly from DJI 13 November :):):):)

But I still have quickrelease from dronexpert and zenmuse h3-3d to sell?:(

Skillet; I'm assuming that you already have a Cannon S100? I've got customers flying them with the Phantom & Phantom 2.
I have only bought one after ordering the Inspire and only hopes that the Inspire will cope with it. Plan is to remove the IR Filter and to fit it facing downwards to capture images of crop fields & vineyards. Maybe generate some income should I be able to get into that market. Still a lot of research to be done in that area as to how to convert the captured images to useful data though...

Airdrone, did you have to do any internal work to get the Dronexpert Quickrelease to work? Good luck selling the h3-3d.

So it looks like skillet and jonathanivy both want to help out, which is great. Maybe I can offer you both a 50% discount, and we can doubly verify measurements? If you don't both agree, then I'm still happy to offer the first person who comes in with measurements a free (except for postage) mount. It would be a little like a race!

Airdrone, did you have to do any internal work to get the Dronexpert Quickrelease to work? Good luck selling the h3-3d.

So it looks like skillet and jonathanivy both want to help out, which is great. Maybe I can offer you both a 50% discount, and we can doubly verify measurements? If you don't both agree, then I'm still happy to offer the first person who comes in with measurements a free (except for postage) mount. It would be a little like a race!

No you do not need to screw the cover on phantom. just connect the cables to the original camera, and connect the quick release. no modifications

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth