Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 / Choppy video

Reaction score
Hello guys !
(I try understand write my problem, because i speak average in English)
I'm owner Inspire 1 with X3 camera... Yesterday i record video and i dont know why is my video choppy...
Before i create this thread, i read some threads, but my problem it's not solved...
In my Iphone 6S Plus is video ok, but in my MacBook Pro Retina 2014 (high end - with graphic card) its video choppy...
I use original SD card (with high bit rate)
If i record video, i dont need use ND filter because it was cloudy
I took video with automatic settings, 4K / 30FPS
I took video with slow drone speed, (no any fast - sport mode)
Some peoples tell me, problem its because Macbook Pro Retina, its slowly for 4K edit, but if this problem be doing only with editing its ok, but my problem is too in QuickTime player, without any edit...

I download VLC player (because one guy tell me, QuickTime have problems with 4K smooth, but in VLC is too video choppy...
Now i read about shutter speed, but i say agian, all settings its automatic, never i dont have problem with choppy video but yesterday its first time ...
I upload video on Youtube, check it (on start its video normal, but wait and check on white lines, or cars and you see choppy...

If you have question, im online and help you for solve my problem...
Thanks !!!

How much memory is in your Macbook? 8 or 16? What's the link to the youtube video?

Fist, what do you mean with choppy? Post an example please!

I'm doing all edits of my videos with my Macbook Pro (2015) and have no issues at all, even playing the videos directly from the SD-Cards works flawless.

Shutter can be a real issue, don't set it to automatic. Go and get some ND filters, even with clouds the light is too bright (most of the time).

Chris

How much memory is in your Macbook? 8 or 16? What's the link to the youtube video?
16GB ram ... (high end version, with grapihic card, 512 GB SSD, intel i7)
Sorry, i forget, link video is here :

On start video is ok, but check in 1080P or higher and full screen...White lines, or follow some points (ambulance text on car) = choppy...

Fist, what do you mean with choppy? Post an example please!

I'm doing all edits of my videos with my Macbook Pro (2015) and have no issues at all, even playing the videos directly from the SD-Cards works flawless.

Shutter can be a real issue, don't set it to automatic. Go and get some ND filters, even with clouds the light is too bright (most of the time).

Chris

Up i send link on youtube, and you see my problem ...

Thanks Guys !!!

I can't really see anything but then again I'm on my iPad however; if you think moving that fast is going to keep small details razor sharp, you may have to re-evaluate your expectations. I will have another look when I get home and see if I can spot the places where you're having the issue.

Is the video really only 15seconds?

Video seems normal to me, considering how fast you are flying.

If you pause the video each frame is clear. The frame rate is what you are calling choppy.

BTW, your English is not average. My English is average, yours is poor. If your Country considers your English average then your Country's standards are way too low.

@RickTheSizzler - Okay .. I had a chance to look at your video again in 1080p (my monitor isn't going to resolve 2k or 4k so there was no need for me to view it in either of those modes). I don't see anything wrong with the video in terms of choppiness. You're flying fairly fast, couple that with the sharpness that is probably being applied in camera and the heavy contrast between the white and whichever color it's up against and you'll get exactly what your video looks like.

My suggestion [and others please chime in]. Turn your in camera sharpness to 0 and fly slower in situations like the one you were in when filming the video above. You can apply sharping to the image later.

Hope this helps.

@RickTheSizzler - I went back and re-read your initial post and I wanted to mention this. At 4k 30FPS, you might expect that type of "choppy" looking footage simply because of the speed you're traveling. When shooting 4K 30FPS your shutter speed should have been 1/60 second for the smoothest video. You might want to test the same scenario with different settings; full HD at 60FPS with a shutter speed of 1/120. You might be more pleased with the result.

@RickTheSizzler, Your shutter speed needs to be half your frame rate so for 30fps you need a shutter speed of 1/60th, you would also benifit from using a higher frame rate if you're going to be flying quickly. Also please remember that you may often need an ND filter on cloudy days too, it all depends on what your camera "sees" not what your eyes see.

I have this issue too when filming in 4k. Just did a run earlier today; being a sunny day, I kept my settings as follows:

ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 1/2000 (it was cloudy but still bright)

The video preview during filming was choppy but turned out perfectly fine when I ran the clip. Thought it might be the shutter speed that cause choppiness during preview. No ND Filter on but I'll try it at the next flight.

Cyrus

@RickTheSizzler, Your shutter speed needs to be half your frame rate so for 30fps you need a shutter speed of 1/60th, you would also benifit from using a higher frame rate if you're going to be flying quickly. Also please remember that you may often need an ND filter on cloudy days too, it all depends on what your camera "sees" not what your eyes see.

I think the video is fine. Was not choppy on my PC. The device you are using to playback the video on might be the problem

The problem may be with your editing/video program. I found that on Quick time & FinalCut 7 my footage was as you described. When I viewed on Final cut 10 & Premier Pro the footage was AWESOME. You might check to make sure that whatever product you are viewing on can handle 4K.

Updates since my last post: was using Samsung Tab S and video preview was much smoother. Video runs perfectly fine right after extraction.

Looks like its the tablet hardware that might not support 4k preview.

Cyrus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla