Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Drifting Away

You mean there are leftover pieces from soldering that should be removed, otherwise it cause problems? If so, that is a manufacturing defect and we can claim a free repair for the defected part? Are you sure that is the real cause of the problem?
No, do not put words where they didnt appear. I nevere mentioned left over pieces from soldering, nor any degree of certainty. I asked other to see if what i see as a problem also applies to them

Only partly correct....

In answer to your question - I hold a degree in electronic engineering as well as PfCO for commercial UAV operations.

DJI's flight systems have 3 gyros which measure angular velocity on the three axis. Gyros cannot measure linear velocity, which is why the aircraft also require accelerometers which together form the IMU (or multiple if using redundant systems).
Leaving aside the UBlox or GPS/GLONAS module which is only concerned with positional data, if the aircraft loses all gyro and accelerometer data it theoretically can still be flown by sight.
The flight controller is the unit concerned with outputting thrust signals to the esc's and thus the motors via a modulated (square wave) and this is independently mapped to the four channels of the gimbal sticks on the RC.
The aircraft doesn't care where up, left, right is etc when interpreting stick input. It simply maps stick throw proportionally to the correct motors.
In other words (assuming mode 2), an increase in throttle (left stick up) will translate into equal thrust being applied to all four motors in a quad configuration.
The closed loop feedback system of IMU, GPS, Magnometer and barometer is there to assist and stabilize the airframe and allow for 'autonomous' flight/stabilisation with no stick input as well as corrective inputs fed to the FC via the flight algorithms.

I trust that isn’t too generic for you.
You're forgetting one important factor, what you describe is a theoretical scenario that would apply in many cases. DJI drones aren't in those cases, and will not let you fly with those variables taken away. They will go into landing mode regardless of what you try. We can all agree flight is not only possible, but easy without a GPS module. Every FPV racing drone can fly without a single problem without any GPS controller installed. Try with a DJI drone, I have. You know what happens? Nothing. The drone doesn't even allow you to spin the motors or control the gimbal. There are many other governors hardcoded into DJIs flight controller which keep this drone under a set number of conditions that override any input by the user.

Maybe thats what that new FCC registration from DJI is for...who knows.

You're forgetting one important factor, what you describe is a theoretical scenario that would apply in many cases. DJI drones aren't in those cases, and will not let you fly with those variables taken away. They will go into landing mode regardless of what you try. We can all agree flight is not only possible, but easy without a GPS module. Every FPV racing drone can fly without a single problem without any GPS controller installed. Try with a DJI drone, I have. You know what happens? Nothing. The drone doesn't even allow you to spin the motors or control the gimbal. There are many other governors hardcoded into DJIs flight controller which keep this drone under a set number of conditions that override any input by the user.

Maybe thats what that new FCC registration from DJI is for...who knows.
Again factually incorrect I'm afraid - The Inspire series (which this forum is dedicated to) does not rely on a GPS signal to function.
On loss of GPS, it will simply switch to attitude mode (as will all other DJI UAV's) or the user can select to take off and fly in attitude mode if they so wish.
There is no inhibitor to arming or starting the motors without GPS acquisition on the Inspire series.

There is no GPS 'controller' - it is simply a multi constellation UBlox antenna and receiver module that feeds positional data to the flight controller. It is then interpreted for both position and air speed in conjunction with the IMU accelerometers - but not height information which is inherently inaccurate using GPS.

Again factually incorrect I'm afraid - The Inspire series (which this forum is dedicated to) does not rely on a GPS signal to function.
On loss of GPS, it will simply switch to attitude mode (as will all other DJI UAV's) or the user can select to take off and fly in attitude mode if they so wish.
There is no inhibitor to arming or starting the motors without GPS acquisition on the Inspire series.

There is no GPS 'controller' - it is simply a multi constellation UBlox antenna and receiver module that feeds positional data to the flight controller. It is then interpreted for both position and air speed in conjunction with the IMU accelerometers - but not height information which is inherently inaccurate using GPS.
Have you at least tried it before saying this? Because I have and i can tell you that i guarantee you haven't. This is where my rant about book smart and community forums exactly comes to show, you might be a aircraft engineer or a motor architect or whatever you want to call yourself, but I learn by making mistakes. And it might not always be the best way, and it certainly doesnt fit everyones profile, but when you have to learn from your mistakes, theres a pretty good chance you've learned a few things along the way that doesnt always line up in the same logical process you're taught in books. Again, have you tried to fly your inspire without having the GPS module connected? If so, please post evidence. Until I see it, i won't believe it. And im not talking about a temporairy loss of GPS signal, read correctly what I said, i'm talking about an outright defective GPS module no longer recognized by the flight controller.

And to those that had or have a GPS issue where the drone keeps losing signal and going into P-ATTI mode, I strongly recommend looking back at my post and getting under the module to clean it out. This was a constant issue which cause a loss of GPS almost every few seconds...after that fix I have never lost the signal in over 100km of flight in many different flight conditions and locations.

Have you at least tried it before saying this? Because I have and i can tell you that i guarantee you haven't. This is where my rant about book smart and community forums exactly comes to show, you might be a aircraft engineer or a motor architect or whatever you want to call yourself, but I learn by making mistakes. And it might not always be the best way, and it certainly doesnt fit everyones profile, but when you have to learn from your mistakes, theres a pretty good chance you've learned a few things along the way that doesnt always line up in the same logical process you're taught in books. Again, have you tried to fly your inspire without having the GPS module connected? If so, please post evidence. Until I see it, i won't believe it. And im not talking about a temporairy loss of GPS signal, read correctly what I said, i'm talking about an outright defective GPS module no longer recognized by the flight controller.
You obviously didn’t read or understand my previous post.
At no point did I mention a faulty or disconnected UBlox module.
That scenario will throw up an error message.
Indeed I wrote about this situation on the forum three years before you joined the community.

I was simply pointing out the inaccuracies in your statements regarding lack of gyro stabilization being a sensor a UAV cannot do without.
Any skilled RC flyer would be able to fly an unstabilised quad from sight and be able to compensate for attitude fluctuations.

Again, yes, I have stripped down, rebuilt, repaired many Inspires (as well as many other airframes) since they first came to market at the beginning of 2015. I have also been a member of DJI beta team for a number of years as well as been in regular dialogue and communication with DJI head of North America’s Service - Ed Windham.
I am also under an NDA with DJI for certain information I become privy to from time to time.

"Every FPV racing drone can fly without a single problem without any GPS controller installed. Try with a DJI drone, I have. You know what happens? Nothing. The drone doesn't even allow you to spin the motors or control the gimbal. "

"There is no inhibitor to arming or starting the motors without GPS acquisition on the Inspire series."

You obviously didn’t read or understand my previous post.
At no point did I mention a faulty or disconnected UBlox module.
That scenario will throw up an error message.
Kool.

Tell Ed how abysmal his support staff is in NA. Giving a support number that gives a "The number you have dialed is not assigned" outside business hours...classy service

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips