Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - Flyaway (Almost)

My recommendation is: learn to fly in atti mode. It is really not that hard and your video will look smoother. Use the GPS functionality when you want to line up a shot or when you are landing. When flying in Atti mode your failsafe will still work in the event you lose connection between the transmitter and the Inspire. Just my 2 cents.
I have been practicing in atti mode and you are absolutely right. The video is much smoother. You can use the wind to move the aircraft while you concentrate on panning. I have also learned just like when I fly the airplane to take off into the wind and stand behind the aircraft. That way you don't have to deal with reverse control issue right at the jump while you gain a little altitude.

I've always practiced taking off in GPS mode and then switching to ATT mode. When I'm ready to land as I get closer, I switch to GPS mode. It's not the perfect plan I'm sure but it works for me.
I appreciate that post. That sounds like a pretty good way to operate. I will start trying that. Landing in atti mode when the craft is usually coming toward you is a little more difficult. But I love the challenge of flying this thing

Nearly every single one of them I've seen the pilot has been in P-GPS mode. Switching to Atti would have saved them (as both GPS and the compass are taken out of the equation in that mode).
"Editor", let me preface by thanking you... since day one, i have been following your calibration advice. Been working well.

With regards to above statement, I am not sure that in Inspire's "ATTI" mode, the compass is taken out of the equation. I do agree that GPS positioning is taken out of the equation. Why do i say that? Because in ATTI mode, based on my experience, the inspire drifts laterally with the wind, but the Inspire's compass heading stays locked and does not yaw, no matter which way the wind blows. As a former RC heli collective pitch pilot, I would have felt safer, if in ATTI mode, the Inspire would drift both laterally and yawed with the wind, giving me total stick control, without Inspire's sensor/s interfering. In a collective pitch RC heli, if you had no heading lock on(i.e compass not in effect), the tail would yaw with the wind. Hence, given the Inspire's yaw stability while in ATTI mode, i highly suspect that its compass is still part of the equation(i could spin/yaw the inspire in ATTI mode, let go of the sticks and the Inspire would then lock itself into new heading and stay there - this would not happen in a collective pitch heli or any toy quadcopter without compass).

I really hope i am wrong here, because it would give me comfort to know that the Inspire's ATTI mode does not depend on the compass, but i think it still does depend on both the IMU(to maintain attitude and not flip over) and compass...

Last edited:
"Editor", let me preface by thanking you... since day one, i have been following your calibration advice. Been working well.

With regards to above statement, I am not sure that in Inspire's "ATTI" mode, the compass is taken out of the equation. I do agree that GPS positioning is taken out of the equation. Why do i say that? Because in ATTI mode, based on my experience, the inspire drifts laterally with the wind, but the Inspire's compass heading stays locked and does not yaw, no matter which way the wind blows. As a former RC heli collective pitch pilot, I would have felt safer, if in ATTI mode, the Inspire would drift both laterally and yawed with the wind, giving me total stick control, without Inspire's sensor/s interfering. In a collective pitch RC heli, if you had no heading lock on(i.e compass not in effect), the tail would yaw with the wind. Hence, given the Inspire's yaw stability while in ATTI mode, i highly suspect that its compass is still part of the equation(i could spin/yaw the inspire in ATTI mode, let go of the sticks and the Inspire would then lock itself into new heading and stay there - this would not happen in a collective pitch heli or any toy quadcopter without compass).

I really hope i am wrong here, because it would give me comfort to know that the Inspire's ATTI mode does not depend on the compass, but i think it still does depend on both the IMU(to maintain attitude and not flip over) and compass...

Hi and thanks for the kind words :)
Its the gyro that keeps the aircraft from rotating in Atti not a compass input.
The barometer (for height stabilisation) and the IMU (gyro and accelerometers) are still active in the flight controller but no compass or GPS.
When the gyros sense a rotational thrust/movement they compensate via the flight controller to the esc's and through the the motors.
Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Frank Tan
Hi and thanks for the kind words :)
Its the gyro that keeps the aircraft from rotating in Atti not a compass input.
The barometer (for height stabilisation) and the IMU (gyro and accelerometers) are still active in the flight controller but no compass or GPS.
When the gyros sense a rotational thrust/movement they compensate via the flight controller to the esc's and through the the motor.
Hope that helps :)
Interesting. That helps explain quite a bit. Comforting to know that the compass is out of the equation in ATTI mode. This gives me more confidence in ATTI mode in emergencies.

Thanks!

I've realized that coming from a 1st generation Phantom and a F550, the Inspire 1 requires a little of finese to make her fly smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
russiananytime