Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - issues as of June 2015

Reaction score
Im in the process of buying either an Inspire 1 or a Phantom 3 Professional. It leans towards the Inspire 1, but i have heard about the lot of problems experienced in the beginning of the year with the Inspire 1.
So i wanted to ask if all these problems are addressed and fixed, or is there currently any known problems with the Inspire 1?

Thanks for some help.

I heard a similar thing, one of the firmware updates released the GPS lock, (I almost flew into a tree as it was windy that day)
However - after that - they fixed the issue with a firmware update and she is now as solid a rock. I have never flown a phantom so can only speak for the inspire .... overall I love my Inspire.

Reactions: james tulloch
I experienced the strangest thing and I'm almost to embarrassed to mention this as a solution.
But I updated my firmware and it basically screwed up the whole platform. I was about to go through the whole DJI support process, when I decided to run the IMU calibration .... and suddenly if fixed everything. I don't know why it did - but maybe try it ...

Wonky horizon, and now the video range has been reduced with the latest apps.

So the video range is reduced? Does it not have the 2 Km video range anymore? That is very disturbing if that is the case.
And i don't know about the Inspire 1 or the video range on the European CE marked version, but at least the old Phantom 2 had a lower milliWatt output on the radio on the CE version compared to the FCC versions.
Don't know if that also applies to the video output, or the Inspire 1 at all?

I experienced the strangest thing and I'm almost to embarrassed to mention this as a solution.
But I updated my firmware and it basically screwed up the whole platform. I was about to go through the whole DJI support process, when I decided to run the IMU calibration .... and suddenly if fixed everything. I don't know why it did - but maybe try it ...

Have you experienced any problems on the latest firmware?

No more 2km video range, mine starts to break up at about 250m then not much use after 300m.

Wow ... thats bad. What viewing device do you have? I use my Samsung S4. I decided to treat myself and bought the new 7" samsung Tab 4, only to discover that DJI don't support the latest Samsung Tablets .....
you could also try downloading the firmware again and re-doing all the configs again. I have had success doing this.

So the video range is reduced?
Some people seem to have reduced video range, whether it's a firmware/app issue, faulty equipment or due to the environment they're in is pretty much impossible to figure out. But the fact that many of us have not experienced that would tend to suggest it is not a systematic issue that was introduced by software.

I run all latest versions and my I1 works just as good as always.

Reactions: sirnikolas
No more 2km video range, mine starts to break up at about 250m then not much use after 300m.

I flew on Saturday - nothing to break a record but just checked my flight records and 680m was the max distance on one flight - didnt had any issues with video being weak or similar

Yes i have a hard time thinking its something that is introduced by DJI and that applies to all Inspire 1 drones.
The explanation that it is maybe a firmware issue, environment related or hardware related sounds like a more reasonable explanation.
I think it should have been announced by DJI or at least confirmed by them if it was done by them on purpose, also it should have reduced the video range on all Inspire 1 that has done the latest firmware update.
Also why would they do it, except if it were done to follow some regulations, but in that case they absolutely should have announced it and wrote it in the change log on the firmware update.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Also why would they do it, except if it was done to follow some regulations, but in that case they absolutely should have announced it and wrote it in the change log on the firmware update.[/QUOTE]

He it's DJI we're talking about,and they have never given any information about thiso_O

Last edited:
The Inspire 1 is a much better platform for video/photos than the Phantom, which feels like a toy compared to the Inspire. It is heavier and much better in winds. You can pan the camera fully, while moving the craft...even as a single operator. I have had mine since January and it has been great. I use it professionally...video and photos. I own a Phantom...no comparison, as far as I'm concerned.

The Inspire one is a lovely Well build Flying Tripod. I was really hoping for aids to allow easier video shoots, Heading lock, course lock and POI. (mainly POI) DJI's Wookong has all these features, so they can do it, They even stated these features would be available. I'm not certain but I think this has been removed from their new manual.

Each time I ask Support these questions they ignore my question.... Possibly because the support guys don't really know what the development priorities are. But it would be nice to find a platform where the DJI developers addressed their customers. (It may exist - and I just don't know about it)

Some people seem to have reduced video range, whether it's a firmware/app issue, faulty equipment or due to the environment they're in is pretty much impossible to figure out. But the fact that many of us have not experienced that would tend to suggest it is not a systematic issue that was introduced by software.

I run all latest versions and my I1 works just as good as always.
What viewing device are you using? My Samsung S4 works well, my Samsung Tab is terrible.

I use an iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3. To prove a point I got and android app 1.0.7 and put this on my htc m8. I then flew at the same place, big open farm land and I got 500m with the android app and had no video breaking up. The latest iOS 1.2.0 and started to break up and drop out at just over 300m. The latest app has slightly better range than the 1.1.2 as I experienced break up from 250m.

Why Dji do not have all the versions iOS or android on their web site is just bonkers! They ask for a lot unhappy customers as once you have updated you are stuffed unless you have backed up a previous app which 99% of people don't or the update was forced via an auto update.

Strange .... so are we are saying that it depends on the app and version ..... ?

Maybe the answer to all of this is to find a good one, then stick to it, only update once you know that it addresses issues that you want fixing. Maybe we must spend more time reading the update notes. I know I don't keep backups of past versions as I probably should.

So the video range is reduced? Does it not have the 2 Km video range anymore?

I don't have any issues. in that video i turned around at 2.6km range, full signal and about 70% battery. Got a warning that i should return because my battery would get low when i got back.
At landing i had around 43% battery left. dont think you should worry. :)

Reactions: Robert1973
Mr Phantom .... Very impressive :cool:
I'm 1.4 Km above sea level and only get about 12 - 13min flight time, so I would have to make this flight really quick...

Why Dji do not have all the versions iOS or android on their web site is just bonkers! They ask for a lot unhappy customers as once you have updated you are stuffed unless you have backed up a previous app which 99% of people don't or the update was forced via an auto update
And that is why I have all the apps stored on my pc.Only the first app i missed,but from that I have all the apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84