Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - Landing Gear Solution

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently broke the landing gear of my Inspire 1 on a site survey. The problem was, I guess, I triggered the landing gear on asphalt surface, that ended up breaking the teeth of the poor servo that is already weak. I ordered a new gear and working on to fix it. Some guys advised me to carry a flat and smooth plate with me for preparation and landing. I have a different, a bit crazy idea against that. What if i get 4 risers and screw rubber wheels on them? And I do not even need to keep them on the legs always. I can just put them on right before rising the landing gear and remove it afterwards. What you guys thinking about it?
INSPIRE TIRES.jpg

Last edited:
Would they be out of camera when retracted? nice idea by the way
Well, I don't need to keep them on while flying, only for lowering and rising the landing gear. It's more practical anyway in comparing to carrying a 60x60 cm plate with me everywhere... The only problem will be, I guess the travel mode distance from the ground. It measures the distance to the ground to identify the travel mode height while lowering. If we can solve that issue it will be great tho...

Last edited:
When you attach zenmuse x5 i think it automatically adjust the travel mode height, please correct me if I am wrong, I have never used that thing. If I 3D print a riser as exactly the same height as the original riser, can I fool it, so it lowers correctly?

I’m trying to understand the problem? Is the friction associated with raising/lowering the gear on a rough surface causing undue or excessive load on gear motor and eventually causing gear servo problems? I’m relatively new to the Inspire 1 and would like to avoid this issue. I’ve flown many times recently but have not put in travel mode.

Yes jpalamaro, when you toggle the landing gear switch 3 or four times fast, you toggle between travel mode and "landing" mode. During that transformation, the distance between the left and right legs change, thus the feet have to be able to slide fairly well.If on tarmac, you can just lift one side of the bird during the transition.

I know/knew how to put into travel mode I was commenting that I had no need to do so yet, but more importantly was unaware of the excess stress (obvious now) that a rough surface could put on retracting motor(s). But thanks for your reply, and think I've already watched some videos on the 'toggle' feature of the controller.

I’m trying to understand the problem? Is the friction associated with raising/lowering the gear on a rough surface causing undue or excessive load on gear motor and eventually causing gear servo problems? I’m relatively new to the Inspire 1 and would like to avoid this issue. I’ve flown many times recently but have not put in travel mode.
I also didnt know about the issue until i got to experience it myself. The motor that drives the landing gear, that is located in the middle of the AC, is very small (smaller than a penny) and prone to breaking out. There are many users complaining about the issue. You can find more on the link,

Inspire 1 landing gear stuck worm drive motor spinning
Inspire1 V1 landing gear stuck

You better be careful when rising and lowering the drone, it is most likely that it will cause a problem one day.
Some also say that, cold weather can cause landing gear problems, as the grease or the moist built up over the worm screw freeze and create extra friction.

Seems these issues confined to landing gear changes on surface. Are there many documented cases of gear failures in flight? I'm sure there is some way to search this site but am too lazy as this is not a thread about gear failure, but rather issues/friction while on terra firma.

A landing gear failure in flight could be catastrophic, obviously, or, have members practiced retrieving a drone while hovering and emergency cut off procedure invoked? Or, don't laugh, have some actually constructed a 'landing tube' of sufficient height to protect the X2,3,5,7 etc.

Hmmm, entreprenours, an inflatable landing tube. LOL

Seems these issues confined to landing gear changes on surface. Are there many documented cases of gear failures in flight? I'm sure there is some way to search this site but am too lazy as this is not a thread about gear failure, but rather issues/friction while on terra firma.

A landing gear failure in flight could be catastrophic, obviously, or, have members practiced retrieving a drone while hovering and emergency cut off procedure invoked? Or, don't laugh, have some actually constructed a 'landing tube' of sufficient height to protect the X2,3,5,7 etc.

Hmmm, entreprenours, an inflatable landing tube. LOL
**** its real :D I thought its a joke, https://www.amazon.com/Thekkiinngg-Gear-Quadcopter-System-Set-Inflatable-Compatible/dp/B0784TY3NG or supposed to be a joke LOL

Ya know, the more I think about this we can eliminate the 'tube' aspect and just a puffy, soft, inflatable something or other that will not damage the craft and its attendant camera system. It could be CO2 capsule charged and fit in one's pocket/storage, and just tossed out when needed. LOL
Are we gonna get nuked hijacking the thread. Hmm, great idea, really.

I hate that idea from Travel mode to landing mode on a abrasive surface it makes me cringe, I have two landing mode cases that I keep my I1 and I2 in so I do not have to go though that procedure every time I want to fly. Your idea with the wheels attached to the legs is brilliant and took some thinking, good luck hope it works and look forward to hearing.

I used to just hold the Inspire so that there was barely any weight on landing gear when going to travel mode, you just let the bird ever so slightly touch the ground and lower/raise it along with the gear. The Inspire uses the optical sensor to determine whether it can/can't go into travel mode and when to stop the landing gear. So if you just hold it and take all the weight off the landing gear, you won't have any problem, but you CAN'T hold it OFF the ground, it has to still be touching or barely touching the ground.

I bought a case that hold mine in landing mode so I can't remember the last time I had to put it in travel mode.

Reactions: CopterBob
I use the Hoodman folding landing pad. Convenient. In my opinion it’s important to keep dust out of the camera, motors and in this case the landing gear mechanism. But also helps when your taking of/landing on long grass, soft snow, sand etc. I use the orange landing pad but in retrospect, I should have got the camouflage version, it’s a pain removing the landing pad from the video.

Reactions: CopterBob
I used to just hold the Inspire so that there was barely any weight on landing gear when going to travel mode, you just let the bird ever so slightly touch the ground and lower/raise it along with the gear. The Inspire uses the optical sensor to determine whether it can/can't go into travel mode and when to stop the landing gear. So if you just hold it and take all the weight off the landing gear, you won't have any problem, but you CAN'T hold it OFF the ground, it has to still be touching or barely touching the ground.

I bought a case that hold mine in landing mode so I can't remember the last time I had to put it in travel mode.

Will you please pass along that case name/type, where acquired, etc. Thanks

I honestly dont know what the problem is here? I’ve been flying my inspire 1 for more than 3 years and i have not experienced any issues with the worm gear. I have two inspire 1, the old version and the V2 and non of the teo have any issues with the worm gear. The vision positioning camera on the belly of the AC is what stops the belly from hitting the floor when going in and out of travel mode. It is recommended that this is done in a well lighted surface for the camera to better detect the surface. If the camera doesn’t detect the surface it will hit the floor and puts the worm gear in a lot of stress.

I do a fair amount of takeoffs/landings from smooth boat decks, so put small GripITech Extreme pads on each foot so the AC doesn't slide around (or, worse, OFF the deck). Standard procedure for me is to hold the AC so there's no strain on the motor/gears going to/from Landing and Travel modes. So far, so good over years of practice.

Hello everyone,
I recently broke the landing gear of my Inspire 1 on a site survey. The problem was, I guess, I triggered the landing gear on asphalt surface, that ended up breaking the teeth of the poor servo that is already weak. I ordered a new gear and working on to fix it. Some guys advised me to carry a flat and smooth plate with me for preparation and landing. I have a different, a bit crazy idea against that. What if i get 4 risers and screw rubber wheels on them? And I do not even need to keep them on the legs always. I can just put them on right before rising the landing gear and remove it afterwards. What you guys thinking about it?
View attachment 24660
Why not just support the weight of the Drone while the landing gear is transitioning?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions