Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 New Firmware v1.2.0.14

I am a little surprised it took this long to figure out this is a good idea, it seems like this would be a big issue with flyways.

The compass will turn off automatically when abnormal compass readings are detected. The aircraft will enter A mode when the compass is off.

Sounds like it could be the cause of that crash..gee thanks dji for letting us down yet again(maybe,maybe not?.
Glad they made a change though. at least they are trying harder than previously it seems.
forgive my little rant..dji has given me tons of grief in the past.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be the cause of that crash..gee thanks dji for letting us down yet again.
Glad they made a change though.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the causes of the reported HK crash, but you are jumping to a conclusion without any supporting facts. Firmware ugrades are a necessary and vital part of any product launch involving sophisticated processors and as an early adapter of any electronic gear, one ought to be prepared for that. So how exactly has DJI let us down in this?

I'm leary of any auto changes to flight mode. I'd rather get a warning message and change it manually than have a change up thrown at me in flight. How many times can a compass throw a glitch and then correct itself in an instant or so without the pilot knowing? Now it's gonna change flight modes at will? Also two things are still missing, minimum altitude setting and the simulator. Would like to see them soon I hope.

Oh, some of my comments are about the pilot app update.

Last edited:
I'm leary of any auto changes to flight mode. I'd rather get a warning message and change it manually than have a change up thrown at me in flight.

Yeah but the controller will be a lot faster at responding to a problem than a person ever would be, I would imagine that it will let you know that it has switched, it is a safety feature, not a convenience feature. at this point in the world of drones we need all the safety we can get.

I would just hope that that situation is rare to none. And in case it gets whacked, I suppose I agree with you. One thing is for sure, the new behavior will certainly show just how good the compass is!

I just got a tracking # from Amazon I ordered my inspire on dec6 from drone source does anybody know when the app will come for iPad can't believe I will know get the inspire and no app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting and well spotted! Be interesting to know how often "abnormal compass readings" can be expected and what might cause them. For DJI to engineer this into the firmware suggests an issue exists with the compass. It would also be interesting to know if this issue also effects other DJI aircraft.

Interesting and well spotted! Be interesting to know how often "abnormal compass readings" can be expected and what might cause them. For DJI to engineer this into the firmware suggests an issue exists with the compass. It would also be interesting to know if this issue also effects other DJI aircraft.

I'm new here but thought I'd add to the discussion and also seek out ideas from anyone who reads this.

I own two phantoms and have been flying quads for a couple years now. My inspire arrived yesterday and I have since flown it twice.

All I can say is that it's dancing in the sky. It doesn't fix position when releasing the sticks (in "P" mode). The sticks don't respond proportionately to the direction and intensity that I depress. The inspire frame and the gimble head (both) tend to pan left or right (x axis) spontaneously when in a hover. I'm more than comfortable and patient when I fly and have in both cases flown in open areas away from hazards, which has helped particularly when performing manual landings. You literally have to walk it in circles until it steadies enough close to ground to touch down. Call me a skeptic but I'm not comfortable with testing auto park nor return to home when you get the feel something is off.

For additional information on settings: I'm running with an iPhone six, which is up to date. I calibrated the compass before each flight. Firmware was installed before first flight (engines locked / required update for flight). Perfect / near perfect GPS signal and no errors with the optical sensor. This should have been a walk in the park.

Additionally, the pilot app is sweet compared to the last couple releases I've used. It has crashed on me three times when transferring photos to the phone and I have found the datalink gets dropped or "hangs up" (twice for me) when transferring photos. Transferring 4k video clips through the datalink to your mobile device takes an ungodly amount of time in case you were wondering.

My only other concern is the clip that mounts your mobile device into the holder has already failed on me which means my device doesn't stay in and falls out at an angle. Surprising actually because the quality of everything else feels like sitting in a German auto for the first time.

Hoping someone might have some ideas. May have to try that fancy new tech support of theirs.

I'm new here but thought I'd add to the discussion and also seek out ideas from anyone who reads this.

I own two phantoms and have been flying quads for a couple years now. My inspire arrived yesterday and I have since flown it twice.

All I can say is that it's dancing in the sky. It doesn't fix position when releasing the sticks (in "P" mode). The sticks don't respond proportionately to the direction and intensity that I depress. The inspire frame and the gimble head (both) tend to pan left or right (x axis) spontaneously when in a hover. I'm more than comfortable and patient when I fly and have in both cases flown in open areas away from hazards, which has helped particularly when performing manual landings. You literally have to walk it in circles until it steadies enough close to ground to touch down. Call me a skeptic but I'm not comfortable with testing auto park nor return to home when you get the feel something is off.

For additional information on settings: I'm running with an iPhone six, which is up to date. I calibrated the compass before each flight. Firmware was installed before first flight (engines locked / required update for flight). Perfect / near perfect GPS signal and no errors with the optical sensor. This should have been a walk in the park.

Additionally, the pilot app is sweet compared to the last couple releases I've used. It has crashed on me three times when transferring photos to the phone and I have found the datalink gets dropped or "hangs up" (twice for me) when transferring photos. Transferring 4k video clips through the datalink to your mobile device takes an ungodly amount of time in case you were wondering.

My only other concern is the clip that mounts your mobile device into the holder has already failed on me which means my device doesn't stay in and falls out at an angle. Surprising actually because the quality of everything else feels like sitting in a German auto for the first time.

Hoping someone might have some ideas. May have to try that fancy new tech support of theirs.

Oh I did get a couple sweet photos though! Not bad for a first run..

image.jpgimage.jpg

My first thought when you mentioned using an iPhone 6 to run the app is: are you in airplane mode on the phone? Cellular uses 2.4 same as the RC. Could be a source of interference with the flight controller.

My first thought when you mentioned using an iPhone 6 to run the app is: are you in airplane mode on the phone? Cellular uses 2.4 same as the RC. Could be a source of interference with the flight controller.

I thought that could be a possibility but no, haven't tried that yet.

The new pilot app features GPS positioning with satellite imagery to show your location and that of the heli. Additionally it records the path in which you flew and saves it to your profile in the app for later review.

I'll test it out but I wonder if airplane mode disables that functionality / connectivity with your profile (that might also be a plus)..

Forget about pictures and failing mounts. The instability of the Inspire you're experiencing is not good - a real concern and not how everyone else is characterizing its stability at all. Concerning. Please post updates about that.

If the compass disables itself and enter the ATT mode, and when i1 was far away that u cannot see its orientation, u need to be a very experienced pilot to slowly fly it back home, as there will be no switch back to the GPS mode once the compass is disabled during the same flight, and hopefully it is not too windy, otherwise it will add more than trouble to the going back. Oh gee....RTH should also be disabled in ATT mode.

Last edited:
Forget about pictures and failing mounts. The instability of the Inspire you're experiencing is not good - a real concern and not how everyone else is characterizing its stability at all. Concerning. Please post updates about that.

The post reply button position when writing these on my phone is killing me. Sorry for the blank responses..

I'll update when I know more. I'm a little reluctant to fly again without taking additional action. After my first flight I figured the compass calibration could have been off or that it might be my imagination. This afternoon confirmed things for me.

I'm considering re-updating firmware (not sure if possible). Not sure what else to do. Might have to call in DJI and pray their response is more constructive than the various quirks I've encountered with the phantoms I own.

I do have to emphasize that the physical product appears to have been made very well. Night and day different than unboxing a phantom. Just a little quirky.

If the compass disables itself and enter the ATT mode, and when i1 was far away that u cannot see its orientation, u need to be a very experienced pilot to slowly fly it back home, as there will be no switch back to the GPS mode once the compass is disabled during the same flight, and hopefully it is not too windy, otherwise it will add more than trouble to the going back. Oh gee....RTH should also be disabled in ATT mode.

If you're referring to my post I thought I would add that wind was dead / calm both flights today.

I would not lift off with the camera attached, that's for sure. No sense working through this risking that breakage at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry