Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro Black - first flight

Reaction score
So i took the plunge and bought a Pro 1 Black. Have migrated from a Phantom 4 which is being using for research for search and rescue and major incident work, but wasn't happy with the camera on the unit, so thought id go for the 4/3rds to get better orthomosaics etc - that and the fact the inspire will take a thermal camera natively and geo reference output.

After the hours of research to actually get the thing up in the air after many failed firmware attempts (why DJI dont put the Inspire 1 and 1 Pro firmware in the same place) I finally looked for the firmware under X5 gimbal and not Inspire 1 (go figure!!) i finally managed to get outdoors.

So firmware updated, batteries charged, a nervous first flight going from a £1k drone to something a little more !!! First thing I notice is its a lot faster and slicker which is great. However I am having real issues with stable hovering. Unlike the Phantom which anything over 5ft and upwards is rock solid in both x,y and z, the Inspire was moving around on all three axis a good 50cm - 1.5m - which i accept the gimbal was keeping up very well and giving a stable picture, i was surprised at how unstable the actual Inspire was.

Is there any comments people can make as to potential issues i might have missed as i appreciate this is a different beast to a phantom and others and I have no real experience before now on Inspire. I had done the compass calibration by trying to keep the turns as central and tight as possible and calibrated the IMU. This is straight out of the box with the standard dji 15mm lens (i have olympus 14mm and zoom coming tomorrow).

Any help or pointers or prods as I've missed something would be gratefully received!

Best tip I can give is take some time to get to know the bird. It's very different from the Phantoms.
Initiate RTH a few times to get familiar with that function. Practice in other modes also. (P - A - F)
Fly safe and .... Have Fun!!

hi mate,

similar background here : just upgraded from a P3pro to a Inspire ( albeit a 1.2, not the PRO ) and finding the same as you... but it gets better, trust me :)

the inspire is quite agile, its in a complete different league than the Phantoms. It takes some time to adjust your brain to it :) my inspire does some weird cr$"p when hoovering, but the imagem is rock solid - I believe that the compensations are more "extreme" in the Inspire vs Phantom, since we have a 360 gimball and therefore its more agressively trying to counter wind and such.

I've been flying everyday since tuesday ( day I finally got it ) and trust me, you get more and more confortable with it. I plan to get a X5 camera and plate later on ( going to buy the 1345T props and mounts now, installing them ) but I want to get more and more confortable flying the bird.

Practice makes perfect :)

Unless there is wind bouncing it around it should not he moving that much. Even in wind it shoukd still be more stable than 1.5 m

What are your advanced sensor readings?

I would calibrate IMU and compass again. Do IMU even if it says its not neccesary.

i did do but will again - it was quite windy but not excessive, i think the main issue i had was flying the phantom 4 on the survey grid it looked rock solid (100ft) then flying the same mission on the Inspire 1 Pro it looked very violent. Searching to keep position etc. To be fair this is quite new so I'm not sure whether this is part of the Inspire flying characteristics ?

Well my Inspire ( just flew a mission now ) flew in windy conditions and did have a fight here and there to keep position but none were violent. It does have a bit more agility than the phantoms and can clearly be seen that uses it, but its not violent or abrupt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc