Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 PRO Uses Lightbridge? Or Lightbridge 2?

Reaction score
I am seeing different sources saying different things and it seems DJI introduced Lightbridge 2 during Inspire 1 PRO's run. Anyone know how I can tell which one I am using? And.. Can I use my remote controller ground unit) and simply buy an air unit for my s1000 then use the same controller?

I am seeing different sources saying different things and it seems DJI introduced Lightbridge 2 during Inspire 1 PRO's run. Anyone know how I can tell which one I am using? And.. Can I use my remote controller ground unit) and simply buy an air unit for my s1000 then use the same controller?
Inspire 1 series never used LB2.
They are not cross compatible.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Thanks for the reply and confirming reply.. How about if I were to get Lightbridge for the s1000? Then I'd be able to use one controller for either copter? Just do the thing in DJI go where I link them? .. I'm trying to decide what I'll do wit hthe s1000.

Thanks for the reply and confirming reply.. How about if I were to get Lightbridge for the s1000? Then I'd be able to use one controller for either copter? Just do the thing in DJI go where I link them? .. I'm trying to decide what I'll do wit hthe s1000.
If you're building the S1000 with electronics... I'd recommend purchasing the A3 or A3 PRO and the Lightbridge 2 components. That won't be compatible with the Inspire 1 RC & Electronics.
The older Lightbridge 1 used the A2 and LB1 electronics.

I've built a few S1000 frames, and use the A3 Pro & LB2 components with E1200TPS motors & 17-18" Props. This provides a platform equal in electronics to the M600Pro and able to connect all the same payloads: X3, Z3, X5, X5Raw, XT Thermal and RoninMX DSLR. The only exception reserved for the M600Pro can connect that can't with S1000 A3Pro / LB2 is the XT2... and that's a FW limitation by design.

Setting up a S1000 with older A2 electronics to be compatible with Inspire 1... to have the ability to unbind & rebind the RC to different platform is minimal gain compared to the newer A3Pro / LB2 electronics improvements and payloads.

Lightbridge 2

A3 Pro

If you're building the S1000 with electronics... I'd recommend purchasing the A3 or A3 PRO and the Lightbridge 2 components. That won't be compatible with the Inspire 1 RC & Electronics.
The older Lightbridge 1 used the A2 and LB1 electronics.

Actually I have a Pixhawk flight controller installed that came with it and I like the idea of open source, so was hoping to keep it, then use DJI Can-Bus hub. The other one I was considering was the Wookong-M, but again, going with DJI flight controller would mean rewiring everything. The only payload I expect to fly is my Sony a7s, so I am not too worried about payload.

However, if I am able to use my same controller and make it work with an A2 flight controller, this might tip me over to going woth all DJI components. I really like the controller. Would both Wookong-M or A2 work with LB1 ground controller? This would be ideal.

Actually I have a Pixhawk flight controller installed that came with it and I like the idea of open source, so was hoping to keep it, then use DJI Can-Bus hub. The other one I was considering was the Wookong-M, but again, going with DJI flight controller would mean rewiring everything. The only payload I expect to fly is my Sony a7s, so I am not too worried about payload.

However, if I am able to use my same controller and make it work with an A2 flight controller, this might tip me over to going woth all DJI components. I really like the controller. Would both Wookong-M or A2 work with LB1 ground controller? This would be ideal.
My experience with Wookong-M is zero, not able to help ya there.
Sounds like you've got a nice setup.
I use the RoninMX with GH4 & A7R3. Full camera control experimenting with itelli-G & AirCmd V2.
The one "plus" I like the DJI A3Pro/LB2 config, is the integration of video & mission control in one app & screen.

Enjoy the project!

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean by this? Sorry for my ignorance.
Actually, I'm probably the ignorant one; Not knowing your setup... may have made incorrect assumptions.
Generally the Pixhawk setup uses standard Radio (Futaba, etc) and electronics that work together . Common to have the autonomous mission program running on one monitor and the video feed on a alternate. The DJI ecosystem uses 1 Lightbridge transmission for both flight control & video, a compact interface of iPad & RC with flight control & video on one screen within one app.

You're setup may be different, just going on normal setups.

Actually, I'm probably the ignorant one; Not knowing your setup... may have made incorrect assumptions.
Generally the Pixhawk setup uses standard Radio (Futaba, etc) and electronics that work together . Common to have the autonomous mission program running on one monitor and the video feed on a alternate. The DJI ecosystem uses 1 Lightbridge transmission for both flight control & video, a compact interface of iPad & RC with flight control & video on one screen within one app.

You're setup may be different, just going on normal setups.
Ah thanks for this tidbit of info. in particular! I really like the way my Inspire controller is with the gimbal tilt and pan where my index finger can reach it easily. I never use a 2nd controller for a gimbal/camera operator, and in fact I sold the 2nd controller. I also like a whole lot the idea of having just one controller do either copter.

So now I am looking more seriously at scrapping the Pixhawk, rewiring the motors and going with Lightbridge and Wookong or A2.

In my opinion, modifying an S1000 is just throwing good money after bad. The A3 is 1,000 bucks and the pro is like $1300 and a good chunk of work to install. No matter what you plan on doing with your S1000 or regardless of payload, IMHO it's just better to save up your money for an M600. My business partner and I wrestled and wrestled with what to do with the S1000. Ultimately, he donated it to our local college. I've flown both birds with and without payload. That S1000 just scares the crap out of me. It is NOT a stable platform. I would never fly that thing within a 1000' of people or property. Conversely, I have a lot of confidence in the M600 Pro. While I would never fly it OVER people, I have no qualms flying it within 100' of people. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

D

Reactions: Jim Weist
In case you're interested. Here are the important details of this project.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Frank
In my opinion, modifying an S1000 is just throwing good money after bad. The A3 is 1,000 bucks and the pro is like $1300 and a good chunk of work to install. No matter what you plan on doing with your S1000 or regardless of payload, IMHO it's just better to save up your money for an M600. My business partner and I wrestled and wrestled with what to do with the S1000. Ultimately, he donated it to our local college. I've flown both birds with and without payload. That S1000 just scares the crap out of me. It is NOT a stable platform. I would never fly that thing within a 1000' of people or property. Conversely, I have a lot of confidence in the M600 Pro. While I would never fly it OVER people, I have no qualms flying it within 100' of people. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

D
Hey Donnie, Every one has their opinion... and from your prior experience with the S1000, I can understand your position.

Mine... I found the S1000 - with the A3 Pro & LB2 and E1200TPS motor and 17or 18" props to hover, land and behave practically identical to my M600Pro. I purchased the M600Pro about a year before the S1000 project. A modified built up S1000 isn't cheap, it's not quite as much as a M600Pro but close, but then again I view them similar so being similar cost isn't a surprise to me.

The S1000 has a slightly different size on rail mount too, so requires some tweaking but it mounts the X5, Z30 gimbal mounts just like the M600Pro and RoninMX fits them both equally. Requires much longer landing struts to fit the 15 to 18" prop arms and RoninMX.

My incentive to build up a S1000 was 2 fold: 1) it's "new" electronic components being identical to the M600Pro allowed same payloads and some Ag Payloads are designed for the S1000 frame, and 2) the Batteries. As you're aware the price of TB48S 6-pak is a pricey. The advantage of the S1000 was able to run 2 LiPo paks at a much lower cost than DJI TB48S 6-Paks. The Tattu Plus (LiPo Brick - Smart Battery) is much lower cost to fly @ $450, but even lower cost YangDa @ $320 each. So for basically less than 1/2 the cost of a 6-Pak, can obtain similar performance with identical payloads.
The Tattu Smart Plus batteries are similar to the DJI smart, so they too reduce the overhead of maintenance of a LiPo with the benefit of balance leads to perform additional maintenance.

I didn't use the standard motors & 15" props... that may have been a difference, or maybe arm out of alignment?
I would think the improved motors, larger carbon props that are similar to the M600Pro carbon props... much stiffer than the nylon 15" stock props, provides a more stable hover and flight transition. For my tests, no more concern than flying the M600Pro in similar environment, it doesn't have quite the payload capacity as the M600Pro when you figure the motor's power & 21" props.... but close and within limits for a RoninMX.

Hey Donnie, Every one has their opinion... and from your prior experience with the S1000, I can understand your position.

Mine... I found the S1000 - with the A3 Pro & LB2 and E1200TPS motor and 17or 18" props to hover, land and behave practically identical to my M600Pro. I purchased the M600Pro about a year before the S1000 project. A modified built up S1000 isn't cheap, it's not quite as much as a M600Pro but close, but then again I view them similar so being similar cost isn't a surprise to me.

The S1000 has a slightly different size on rail mount too, so requires some tweaking but it mounts the X5, Z30 gimbal mounts just like the M600Pro and RoninMX fits them both equally. Requires much longer landing struts to fit the 15 to 18" prop arms and RoninMX.

Agreed. But here is where I find the "too many eggs in one basket" engineering shortcoming. Instead of pulling power in parallel from 6 sources, you're now pulling power from two sources. This nets GREAT disadvantage in three ways;

1) Lost redundancy; losing 1/6th power (1 battery) is clearly better than losing 1/2 power (1 battery).
2) Pulling current through 2 conductors (positive wires) is much less efficient than pulling current through 6 conductors.
3) Pulling current through 2 batteries is much more strenuous than pulling current through 6 batteries.

So, while I agree that the S1000 might be "okay" for X5R or similar plaform, I would certainly not mount any camera costing more that a couple grand on that bird. Because of the way the S1000 is engineered, it seems to struggle with its own weight right out of the box. Clearly you have "out-engineered" many of the S1000's short-comings (replacing the A2 with the A3 for example), but the very heart of the "scare factor" is the way the S1000 manages power.

My incentive to build up a S1000 was 2 fold: 1) it's "new" electronic components being identical to the M600Pro allowed same payloads and some Ag Payloads are designed for the S1000 frame, and 2) the Batteries. As you're aware the price of TB48S 6-pak is a pricey.

Yep. So by the time you get done setting the S1000 up with the same level of power redundancy (not to mention real-time battery telemetry on a per-cell level), you've turned your S1000 into an over-priced M600. That said...

I get that "projects" are often labors of love. And in some cases, "cost" is of little consequence. On that level you completely have my attention and support. But once you talk about mounting a payload of any value (Ronin + any camera that fits in the Ronin - God forbid a Red or Arri), you lose me. Those two batteries are literally doing 3x the work each compared to the M600 power configuration. When your payload out-values your platform by an order of magnitude, "power management" and "real-time power telemetry" are no longer a "fun toy," but become a necessary part of the work flow.

My partner and I just happened to be mounting an $80,000 Phoenix LIDAR on my partner's aerial platform. After flying the S1000 literally twice, I told him in so many words that I didn't want to be part of any project that would have me in the chain of catastrophic failure. And as his business partner I VERY STRONGLY recommended the M600 Pro platform (which I had worked with before with another company). Post-purchase, my partner agreed that the "confidence factor" raised an order of magnitude. Plus we had all the added benefits of using standard DJI Apps for flying, telemetry and video feed....all things that lacked in the S1000 platform.

The advantage of the S1000 was able to run 2 LiPo paks at a much lower cost than DJI TB48S 6-Paks.

With all due respect, my friend, this is "penny-wise, dollar-foolish" thinking. You can flush all those "savings" down the toilet the first time you see a power failure. I assume you have a laser temp gun. Load that S1000 with about 7 or 8 lbs, fly around and then start taking temperature readings of the batteries, the wires, the traces, the ESC's...everything. Remember, as voltage drops, current rises. The temperature readings I was getting raised a real flag. Conversely, the M600 stays cool on all fronts. The batteries get "warm," but they don't get nearly as hot as those 22 Amp monsters.

The Tattu Plus (LiPo Brick - Smart Battery) is much lower cost to fly @ $450, but even lower cost YangDa @ $320 each. So for basically less than 1/2 the cost of a 6-Pak, can obtain similar performance with identical payloads.

Again, with all due respect, I don't think you're measuring "performance" correctly. Take some temperature readings of EVERYTHING post-flight, including the ESC's. You may be surprised at your findings.

The Tattu Smart Plus batteries are similar to the DJI smart, so they too reduce the overhead of maintenance of a LiPo with the benefit of balance leads to perform additional maintenance.

They lack real-time telemetry, which I consider a huge asset. Without real-time telemetry, "power management" becomes "power prayers."

The only reason I comment at all is because I've been down a similar road. Within the span of 2 flights with the S1000 I had 2 close calls that didn't necessarily put any personnel in danger, but definitely put the equipment at risk. You seem like a smart guy, but from what I'm reading here, it seems you haven't fully vetted the 2-battery power system. The temp gun will tell the complete story.

As always, best of luck.

D

Last edited:

My incentive to build up a S1000 was 2 fold: 1) it's "new" electronic components being identical to the M600Pro allowed same payloads and some Ag Payloads are designed for the S1000 frame, and 2) the Batteries. As you're aware the price of TB48S 6-pak is a pricey. The advantage of the S1000 was able to run 2 LiPo paks at a much lower cost than DJI TB48S 6-Paks. The Tattu Plus (LiPo Brick - Smart Battery) is much lower cost to fly @ $450, but even lower cost YangDa @ $320 each. So for basically less than 1/2 the cost of a 6-Pak, can obtain similar performance with identical payloads.

I didn't use the standard motors & 15" props... that may have been a difference, or maybe arm out of alignment?
I would think the improved motors, larger carbon props that are similar to the M600Pro carbon props... much stiffer than the nylon 15" stock props, provides a more stable hover and flight transition. For my tests, no more concern than flying the M600Pro in similar environment, it doesn't have quite the payload capacity as the M600Pro when you figure the motor's power & 21" props.... but close and within limits for a RoninMX.

How do you run two packs on the s1000? Sounds like the best option until I can go for the M600. My flying is 98% over vacant lands, so falling out of the sky is not as critical as it would be in a city at least.

How do you run two packs on the s1000? Sounds like the best option until I can go for the M600. My flying is 98% over vacant lands, so falling out of the sky is not as critical as it would be in a city at least.

It's a simple matter of building a parallel cable and then finding space to install the batteries. That said...

My concern was with the OP's equipment/payload, NOT safety. I assume everyone here flies responsibly. So "safety" is a given.

D

Agreed. But here is where I find the "too many eggs in one basket" engineering shortcoming. Instead of pulling power in parallel from 6 sources, you're now pulling power from two sources. This nets GREAT disadvantage in three ways;

1) Lost redundancy; losing 1/6th power (1 battery) is clearly better than losing 1/2 power (1 battery).
2) Pulling current through 2 conductors (positive wires) is much less efficient than pulling current through 6 conductors.
3) Pulling current through 2 batteries is much more strenuous than pulling current through 6 batteries.

So, while I agree that the S1000 might be "okay" for X5R or similar plaform, I would certainly not mount any camera costing more that a couple grand on that bird. Because of the way the S1000 is engineered, it seems to struggle with its own weight right out of the box. Clearly you have "out-engineered" many of the S1000's short-comings (replacing the A2 with the A3 for example), but the very heart of the "scare factor" is the way the S1000 manages power.

Yep. So by the time you get done setting the S1000 up with the same level of power redundancy (not to mention real-time battery telemetry on a per-cell level), you've turned your S1000 into an over-priced M600. That said...

I get that "projects" are often labors of love. And in some cases, "cost" is of little consequence. On that level you completely have my attention and support. But once you talk about mounting a payload of any value (Ronin + any camera that fits in the Ronin - God forbid a Red or Arri), you lose me. Those two batteries are literally doing 3x the work each compared to the M600 power configuration. When your payload out-values your platform by an order of magnitude, "power management" and "real-time power telemetry" are no longer a "fun toy," but become a necessary part of the work flow.

My partner and I just happened to be mounting an $80,000 Phoenix LIDAR on my partner's aerial platform. After flying the S1000 literally twice, I told him in so many words that I didn't want to be part of any project that would have me in the chain of catastrophic failure. And as his business partner I VERY STRONGLY recommended the M600 Pro platform (which I had worked with before with another company). Post-purchase, my partner agreed that the "confidence factor" raised an order of magnitude. Plus we had all the added benefits of using standard DJI Apps for flying, telemetry and video feed....all things that lacked in the S1000 platform.

With all due respect, my friend, this is "penny-wise, dollar-foolish" thinking. You can flush all those "savings" down the toilet the first time you see a power failure. I assume you have a laser temp gun. Load that S1000 with about 7 or 8 lbs, fly around and then start taking temperature readings of the batteries, the wires, the traces, the ESC's...everything. Remember, as voltage drops, current rises. The temperature readings I was getting raised a real flag. Conversely, the M600 stays cool on all fronts. The batteries get "warm," but they don't get nearly as hot as those 22 Amp monsters.

Again, with all due respect, I don't think you're measuring "performance" correctly. Take some temperature readings of EVERYTHING post-flight, including the ESC's. You may be surprised at your findings.

They lack real-time telemetry, which I consider a huge asset. Without real-time telemetry, "power management" becomes "power prayers."

The only reason I comment at all is because I've been down a similar road. Within the span of 2 flights with the S1000 I had 2 close calls that didn't necessarily put any personnel in danger, but definitely put the equipment at risk. You seem like a smart guy, but from what I'm reading here, it seems you haven't fully vetted the 2-battery power system. The temp gun will tell the complete story.

As always, best of luck.

D

I can see your points... and let me stress, I really like my M600Pro.
It's a great craft, I like the design... for my purposes.

But on your comments on concerns.... or battery logic or safety... strongly disagree.
On the logic of power consumption better on 6 small batteries compared to 1-2 large... disagree.
Concerns of safety or type of payload, well proven that Octals with 1-2 large bricks are dominate.
Concerns of heat due to 1-2 Lipo's to 6 sm Lipo's... when all feeding to single primary PDU feeder source, not accurate. Beyond the single feeder PDU, downstream the motors, ESC, etc have no bearing on number of batteries behind the PDU, it's only voltage & amps and the large Bricks supply more stable balanced current than 6 small batteries.

Regarding reliability and failsafe, the vast majority of large platforms fly on large Lipo bricks. The flight time simply extends with additional packs, no compromise if 1, 2, 3 or 4 packs. (You can use 5, 10, 15 mAh or any size LiPo... any number if desired) The M600Pro can't even take off on 5 cells & 1 failure, and if a cell fails in the flight you're encouraged to bring it down immediately regardless of remaining capacity. Statically, failures are more common in DJI smart packs than large LiPo bricks.

Regarding the Price of Platform build... sure, it's not a low cost alternative to the M600Pro. It's equivalent in cost, and electronics. Depending on total batteries sets & life cycle of batteries... could be little higher or lower. Didn't suggest it was a lower cost, it's an alternative of similar investment that provides a lower operational cost and probably due to the ability to maintenance the LiPo's with balance leads and intelligent chargers a little more reliable with the batteries. Your comment on heat, basically the efficiency of the S1000. I'd question that conclusion, but I would agree the stock motors & ESC's weren't the most efficient at that generation. The E1200 Pro TPS (Tuned Propulsion System) was designed for optimal efficiency and power, provided such a significant improvement over the stock that it increased the props from 15 to 17 and several used 18 with no concerns. This provided a much greater payload, smoother & lower RPM efficient performance, and more reactive response & controls. Those also weren't a low cost upgrade to install, rather a pricey upgrade and required longer carbon arms to clear the props. DJI E1200 - Tuned Propulsion System

This custom build was used on the S1000 in many cinematic or heavy platform operations successfully many times. The Forestry Platform that carries a heavy payload to drop fire igniters balls (in place of Piloted Heli) running autonomous flight pattern missions uses the standard S1000 as a preferred platform for it's performance & stability with heavy loads. Ag industry uses this same platform to ignite difficult sections of land and burn control.

My scan didn't locate, but you mentioned the integration of flight control, video, etc. With the same electronics, there isn't any difference... both the M600Pro and A3/LB2 Setups use the Go3App and features. Both are useable on 3rd party programs.

DJI has about 75% of the sUAV market, but less than 1% of the large platform market, or cinematic large platform focus. The S900 & S1000 were DJI's first attempt to enter the large platform market and both were under powered & minimal payload in comparison to the competition. The M600Pro was introduced and it made a bigger stride into the large platform but still just a "Dent" and really not much market. The M600Pro has lost ground to the point DJI stopped any planned additional design and payloads. The M210 with 4 props & "Tandem" batteries has essentially replaced it in many roles requiring less than large RoninMX type gimbal with DLSR or RED; although the M210v2 with X7 payload basically challenges the need for a large gimbal mount. The LIDAR payload you mention, or other extremely high cost RED systems are mounted on these platforms much more frequently compared to the small number utilizing the M600Pro. The Altos 8 or other custom rigs would probably be a more suitable platform than the M600Pro.

As one example: The Altos 8, uses 1 or 2 large Lipo packs (similar cell size)... not even slightly smart, just large Lipo's. Most custom made platforms of 6 or 8 arm, 6-16 motor are 1-2 large Lipo packs. The M600Pro doesn't perform better than the Altos 8 or any of the custom platfoms that carry multiple heavy payloads costing way more than the aircraft platform... all powered by 1-2 Lipo bricks, no battery integration other than voltage signal and voltage beeper.

The use of large Lipo bricks in comparison to 6 small DJI batteries, I'd swing with the large Lipo bricks as more reliable, and much more efficient in amperage. The TB48S are slid into cassette cambers with small diameter pointed spring loaded contact posts. The surface contact area of electrical flow of that connection is poor in comparison to XT90 or AS150-XT150 connections; reliability, voltage / amp draw and at a lower resistance. Heat can indicate resistance or improved current flow. But stating multiple connections as a benefit isn't correct... all 6 Batteries feed to a single PDU that provides distribution of power to the 6 ESC & Motors, in a standard Lipo setup the leads also feed to a single PDU providing power to the ESC & Motors.

On the dynamics of capacity of large pack vs small packs; I don't recall any electrical benefit of several small cells over large capacity. I do find reference of large pack having benefit: lower number of connections, lower number of individual cells to maintain balance, lower IR decay over usage, lower heat dissipation for equal current draw, and over numerous charge cycles & maintenance (cell balance, cycling, storage, etc) more stable consistently through life span.

You are correct, it's started more as a "Fun Project" to build something a little different and still be able to use DJI / 3rd Party common Apps. Would I have pursued it knowing total costs initially, probably not. But I kinda just wanted to build an Octal that I could use. The hunt for parts such as the E1200Pro packs was challenging, I purchased those globally... 2 plus sets. Since I started this, the E1200Pro's have dried up, Adorama stopped selling the S1000 kits... maybe even the LB2 Kits... now changing suspension mounts, working with a company on a mount that can be used both on M600Pro & S1000 in place of the RoninMX suspension mount.

It's all fun, entertainment while exploring & building something a little different.

Last edited:
The connectivity is easy... as @Donnie Frank mentioned... a simply Y-harness.
The mount is more challenging... I like to make things more factory looking, not just "strap it on".
I setup a mount above the rail between the arms, replaced the 2 piece isolator with a 1 piece solid.
For clean mount, requires 2 battery plates "end to end" on rail. Unfortunately the The "DJI S900 Part 33 kit" has become rare. It included the battery plate, 2nd End Cap notched rail (clip for battery plate) and the extra clamps & battery tang mounts to simplify the "End to End" mount.

As mentioned above, working with a shop to make a few of these parts. You can buy the battery plate, but the battery tang clamps and few other pieces are not available outside the Pt33 kit. The Rail in kit isn't needed.

To add to above comment... the 22000mAh are large, but you can run 10,000mAH x 4 packs if you wanted to disburse the load. I played with various ideas on location of packs & number. I liked the smart Tattu Plus batteries... sealed cases improving life, balance lead & large XT90 plugs. Fully able to connect to a large intelligent charger & power supply. The revamped Server Power supplies to LiPo PS are very reliable, low cost and provide very stable high current.

Examples:

I can see your points... and let me stress, I really like my M600Pro.
It's a great craft, I like the design... for my purposes.

But on your comments on concerns.... or battery logic or safety... strongly disagree.
On the logic of power consumption better on 6 small batteries compared to 1-2 large... disagree.
Concerns of safety or type of payload, well proven that Octals with 1-2 large bricks are dominate.
Concerns of heat due to 1-2 Lipo's to 6 sm Lipo's... when all feeding to single primary PDU feeder source, not accurate. Beyond the single feeder PDU, downstream the motors, ESC, etc have no bearing on number of batteries behind the PDU, it's only voltage & amps and the large Bricks supply more stable balanced current than 6 small batteries.

Regarding reliability and failsafe, the vast majority of large platforms fly on large Lipo bricks. The flight time simply extends with additional packs, no compromise if 1, 2, 3 or 4 packs. (You can use 5, 10, 15 mAh or any size LiPo... any number if desired) The M600Pro can't even take off on 5 cells & 1 failure, and if a cell fails in the flight you're encouraged to bring it down immediately regardless of remaining capacity. Statically, failures are more common in DJI smart packs than large LiPo bricks.

Regarding the Price of Platform build... sure, it's not a low cost alternative to the M600Pro. It's equivalent in cost, and electronics. Depending on total batteries sets & life cycle of batteries... could be little higher or lower. Didn't suggest it was a lower cost, it's an alternative of similar investment that provides a lower operational cost and probably due to the ability to maintenance the LiPo's with balance leads and intelligent chargers a little more reliable with the batteries. Your comment on heat, basically the efficiency of the S1000. I'd question that conclusion, but I would agree the stock motors & ESC's weren't the most efficient at that generation. The E1200 Pro TPS (Tuned Propulsion System) was designed for optimal efficiency and power, provided such a significant improvement over the stock that it increased the props from 15 to 17 and several used 18 with no concerns. This provided a much greater payload, smoother & lower RPM efficient performance, and more reactive response & controls. Those also weren't a low cost upgrade to install, rather a pricey upgrade and required longer carbon arms to clear the props. DJI E1200 - Tuned Propulsion System

This custom build was used on the S1000 in many cinematic or heavy platform operations successfully many times. The Forestry Platform that carries a heavy payload to drop fire igniters balls (in place of Piloted Heli) running autonomous flight pattern missions uses the standard S1000 as a preferred platform for it's performance & stability with heavy loads. Ag industry uses this same platform to ignite difficult sections of land and burn control.

My scan didn't locate, but you mentioned the integration of flight control, video, etc. With the same electronics, there isn't any difference... both the M600Pro and A3/LB2 Setups use the Go3App and features. Both are useable on 3rd party programs.

DJI has about 75% of the sUAV market, but less than 1% of the large platform market, or cinematic large platform focus. The S900 & S1000 were DJI's first attempt to enter the large platform market and both were under powered & minimal payload in comparison to the competition. The M600Pro was introduced and it made a bigger stride into the large platform but still just a "Dent" and really not much market. The M600Pro has lost ground to the point DJI stopped any planned additional design and payloads. The M210 with 4 props & "Tandem" batteries has essentially replaced it in many roles requiring less than large RoninMX type gimbal with DLSR or RED; although the M210v2 with X7 payload basically challenges the need for a large gimbal mount. The LIDAR payload you mention, or other extremely high cost RED systems are mounted on these platforms much more frequently compared to the small number utilizing the M600Pro. The Altos 8 or other custom rigs would probably be a more suitable platform than the M600Pro.

As one example: The Altos 8, uses 1 or 2 large Lipo packs (similar cell size)... not even slightly smart, just large Lipo's. Most custom made platforms of 6 or 8 arm, 6-16 motor are 1-2 large Lipo packs. The M600Pro doesn't perform better than the Altos 8 or any of the custom platfoms that carry multiple heavy payloads costing way more than the aircraft platform... all powered by 1-2 Lipo bricks, no battery integration other than voltage signal and voltage beeper.

The use of large Lipo bricks in comparison to 6 small DJI batteries, I'd swing with the large Lipo bricks as more reliable, and much more efficient in amperage. The TB48S are slid into cassette cambers with small diameter pointed spring loaded contact posts. The surface contact area of electrical flow of that connection is poor in comparison to XT90 or AS150-XT150 connections; reliability, voltage / amp draw and at a lower resistance. Heat can indicate resistance or improved current flow. But stating multiple connections as a benefit isn't correct... all 6 Batteries feed to a single PDU that provides distribution of power to the 6 ESC & Motors, in a standard Lipo setup the leads also feed to a single PDU providing power to the ESC & Motors.

On the dynamics of capacity of large pack vs small packs; I don't recall any electrical benefit of several small cells over large capacity. I do find reference of large pack having benefit: lower number of connections, lower number of individual cells to maintain balance, lower IR decay over usage, lower heat dissipation for equal current draw, and over numerous charge cycles & maintenance (cell balance, cycling, storage, etc) more stable consistently through life span.

You are correct, it's started more as a "Fun Project" to build something a little different and still be able to use DJI / 3rd Party common Apps. Would I have pursued it knowing total costs initially, probably not. But I kinda just wanted to build an Octal that I could use. The hunt for parts such as the E1200Pro packs was challenging, I purchased those globally... 2 plus sets. Since I started this, the E1200Pro's have dried up, Adorama stopped selling the S1000 kits... maybe even the LB2 Kits... now changing suspension mounts, working with a company on a mount that can be used both on M600Pro & S1000 in place of the RoninMX suspension mount.

It's all fun, entertainment while exploring & building something a little different.

You make good points. I don't see how the math could possibly work out for lower IR decay, but I don't have a test bed in front of me, so I can't produce numbers. So I'll just leave it at that.

Worth noting is that you are correct in asserting that many of the large platforms - like the Alta 8, for example - are using single or double brick LiPos. So I'll concede that my concerns IN GENERAL may be unfounded, but more specifically to the S1000, I believe those concerns are legitimate.

I will also concede that I have a negative prejudice against the S1000, as my limited experience with it was NOT good. Perhaps if the bird were MINE, I would've massaged it a little and maybe worked out some of the shortcomings. Your ESC/motor upgrade probably overcomes those shortcomings to a greater degree than I had originally conceded to.

In conclusion, I will concede that it sounds like you know what you're doing, and that you clearly have more experience with the S1000 than I ever did.

One last note... You can bet if I had TWENTY GRAND to dump into a platform, I would. At about 1/3 cost, the M600 Pro is a very viable alternative. If I were flying Reds or Arri's daily, you could bet I would pony up for the Alta 8...which runs on a pair of LiPo's.

Good conversation.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips