Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 SAR Team Questions

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a member of a Search and Rescue team that recently purchased an Inspire 1 for use in searches. We are loving it, it is working well and has been very useful for our search scenarios. There is really only 1 feature it is missing, and that is the ability to pull gps coordinates out of it in real time. I know I can use the .srt file and take pictures and pull GPS coordinates later, but I need to be able to pull realtime coordinates. Right now I am walking ground teams in from the air, which works, but is time consuming, and takes a lot of battery time.

I am willing to buy a 3rd party app if the DJI Go app does not do this. Currently the Team owns an iPad Air 2, and the other pilot on the team and I use android phones, we usually use the ipad to pilot and the android phones to run the camera.

One last question: Our command post has a monitor with HDMI input, we would love to take advantage of that. Other than buying another controller, is there a better way to get live footage into the monitor?

Thanks in advance!
Scoutcamper

Another controller is an easy solution - but we have also used some other solutions for wireless transmission from the HDMI out of the pilot radio to a receiver either on a mobile monitor for a command post or a large stationary monitor.

Generally how far is the command post from the drone pilot?

Reactions: Mike Harmon
I also just previewed another product at the DJI road show demonstrating the M210 in a public safety environment that might have potential both for live data and post operation review. I'll get some more details on it shortly for you.

Another controller is an easy solution - but we have also used some other solutions for wireless transmission from the HDMI out of the pilot radio to a receiver either on a mobile monitor for a command post or a large stationary monitor.

Generally how far is the command post from the drone pilot?

It varies based on the call. but I would say within a 1/4mi of the pilot, or the pilot will be several miles away(in that instance there would be no expectation of live video in the command post)

That sounds intriguing. I would love some more info on it.
Roger that. I'll get you more details on that one this coming week.

We also previewed a product that uses LTE to get a remote command post live data. It's encrypted and pretty interesting for public safety use. The big emphasis from the public safety groups was that they don't work alone so they needed a private way to get data to remote locations.

Reactions: Lee
It's not real time, but you shuld be able to get Lat/Long from the flight record immediately after you've come home & landed. Once you're shutdown, go out of the flight HUD screen back to the "Go Fly" screen, then use the little box in the top right corner to enter the flight record - the one where you can see all your historic flights and sync them to DJi. Pick your flight record and drag the flight progress bar to the location you want the co-ords for, then read them off the top left of the control strip. They're in decimal degrees (at least they are on mine!). If you take a few photos at the location you want, then it's easier to locate (the photos are shown on the flight map).

Hope that helps a bit!

Hello,

I am a member of a Search and Rescue team that recently purchased an Inspire 1 for use in searches. We are loving it, it is working well and has been very useful for our search scenarios. There is really only 1 feature it is missing, and that is the ability to pull gps coordinates out of it in real time. I know I can use the .srt file and take pictures and pull GPS coordinates later, but I need to be able to pull realtime coordinates. Right now I am walking ground teams in from the air, which works, but is time consuming, and takes a lot of battery time.

I am willing to buy a 3rd party app if the DJI Go app does not do this. Currently the Team owns an iPad Air 2, and the other pilot on the team and I use android phones, we usually use the ipad to pilot and the android phones to run the camera.

One last question: Our command post has a monitor with HDMI input, we would love to take advantage of that. Other than buying another controller, is there a better way to get live footage into the monitor?

Thanks in advance!
Scoutcamper

Hi scout camper

The best way to get live footage is using a terradek VidiU pro not cheap but we use them and you can bond cellular signals so even if in a remote 3G area you can get a live signal out

Contact me if I can be of any assistance

Jason

UAS FLIGHT OPS

I also just previewed another product at the DJI road show demonstrating the M210 in a public safety environment that might have potential both for live data and post operation review. I'll get some more details on it shortly for you.

I would be interested in any information you have on the 210 and DJI flight hub as we are looking for a streaming solution to our command staff for our Fire Department UAV program we are implementing.

I may have some solutions for you. I work for a drone company who trains public safety. We have a sensor streaming product with multiple cellular modems that sees latency of just 1-3 seconds. Also, you can use an app other than GO to view live lat/long of the aircraft. Here's a short SAR demo using M100 with FLIR XT. At the beginning I overlaid the app view I was using. You will see the aircrafts geodata in this.
Dan

I am also interested in a reliable method to livestream photos and video back to a command center.

Also I would like to enable the gps location transmission of the drone...the small blip on the controller screen...and transmit that live into the Socet GXP product. Does anyone have a clue how to enable the transmission of my Inspire's GPS signal?

I have a solution for the transmission back to the command station. It is a simple solutio. Just use an Apple TV to mirror your iPad ( if you are using the iOS) I can move at lest one hundred yards away form the Apple TV and still get live video back to the command station. I also use a wireless wifi modem to improve my connection. Call me if I can help.
Dwayne 214-883-0368

Attachments

• Command Center 3 Drones.JPG
    Command Center 3 Drones.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: BigAl07
Good morning. I didn't read the whole thread so my information could very well be "redundant" so if it is I apologize.

We have been "doing SAR" with sUAS for a couple of years now. Unfortunately the nature of SAR is shoe string budget so we are always trying to "come up" with ways to do more with less.

the ability to pull gps coordinates out of it in real time. I know I can use the .srt file and take pictures and pull GPS coordinates later, but I need to be able to pull realtime coordinates. Right now I am walking ground teams in from the air, which works, but is time consuming, and takes a lot of battery time.

I "think" that the newer DJI Go ap has this feature available but I'm not 100% sure. We use (and I highly recommend) Litchi. You can turn on GPS coordinates so they are always displayed on the screen.

Also DJI Pilot (not compatible with Inspire1 but made for Matrice 200 series and many people reading this may have or be getting a M200 series) now has this option available.

If we are near our Command Post trailer (where we have WiFi) you have a couple of cheap options available.

a) FREE option if you're using Apple iPad - Install LonelyScreen onto a laptop. This program will allow you to wirelessly Airplay the Apple iPad screen to the laptop so your IC (or whoever needs to) can watch it. This does require you to be within WiFi range of the router and the laptop. We actually did this method last night at a Fire Chief's meeting and it worked great.

b) We have used an AppleTV box in the Command Post Trailer to wirelessly stream the video feed to our big screen TV. This allows the whole Command Staff to sit around the table and watch the action. It's also nice to have a large format display going for Real Time detection monitoring for true SAR work. It will cost you an AppleTV which is less than $200. This is our primary way to Live Stream if the event is big enough to bring out all of our IMT equipment (Command and Comms trailers etc).

c) As noted having another Tx on hand is a good way and you just hard wire the TV to the Tx via HDMI

Reactions: dirkclod
Go and buy a cheap tracker and put it on the UAV. Give a phone with the app of the tracker to your ground personal and if you want them to reach the area of your UAV you can send them by radio.

Should not cost you more then 20 Dollar and works. Keep it simple: "If it doesn't work in storm and rain in the darkness it's not for rescue"

P.S Hope now this more clear was driving when typing

Last edited:
Garret Bryl has worked with a vendor that has been very helpful to PS. I think their are rules but if you PM me I will give you the company name. They developed a way to use a laser on your aircraft some can be remotely triggered. But it works quite well to shoot a beam from the sky downwards. I am working with UASI grant and hope to be getting a streaming device to leverage our Peplink equipment. It is Streambox hardware. I need a solution I can guarantee data protection for LE missions. So we are going to host our own server instead.

DJI Ground Station Pro and the new XT Pro app (thermal) displays real time LAT / LONG.

Garret Bryl has worked with a vendor that has been very helpful to PS. I think their are rules but if you PM me I will give you the company name. They developed a way to use a laser on your aircraft some can be remotely triggered. But it works quite well to shoot a beam from the sky downwards. I am working with UASI grant and hope to be getting a streaming device to leverage our Peplink equipment. It is Streambox hardware. I need a solution I can guarantee data protection for LE missions. So we are going to host our own server instead.
This would be illegal in many (if not most) countries since firing a laser towards the ground from a UAV (the sound of which usually makes people look upwards) could cause serious eye injury or blindness.
Additionally, aside from the illegal nature, any laser for positional purposes would be totally useless unless it was connected to its own gimbal since as the attitude of the aircraft changed (even in hover) the projected reference point would be some distance from where the aircraft is actually overhead. The higher agl, the larger the error.
Chocolate teapot springs to mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop