Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 TAKE OFF FLYAWAY

Reaction score
To all whom it may concern with ownership of DJI inspire 1.

We have been flying ours Inspire 1 for few months till now. A week ago we witnessed a sudden flyaway just after a take off with destructive consequences. Notice that we have been flying inspire on same location for about an hour just before this error occurred. Here is step by step procedure of what has happened:

1. Turned on remote and started mobile app.
2. Turned on Inspire, waited for sync with app and log for all signals (GPS etc...)
3. Started engines
4. Manual took off in GPS mode to aprox. 1,5m height and waited for raising gear
5. Aprox. after 2sec (with raising gear) Inspire flew away with full power to the tree without any rc command (cca 6-7 second of a log file time)
6. Crash and fall down from 6 meters to the ground with broken carbon leg, damaged gimball and all propellers destroyed.

In order to do ours job safe, we need to be sure that DJI is a reliable platform for aerial filming. We also do want to let other pilots know about this issue, so you can fly safe too. We have heard about some flyaways, but everytime it might be a little different. Any comments and ideas would be appreciated.

Flight LOG file
www.mcihar.com/DJIFlightRecord_2015-07-31_[21-15-05].txt-Details.csv

Best regards & fly safe.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have had attempted fly always but managed to rescue mine, I do sympathise with your experience.

Is this with firmware V1.3 also did you do pre flight checks ie calibrate your compass before take off?

Regards

David

Hi Mark

I have had attempted fly always but managed to rescue mine, I do sympathise with your experience.

Is this with firmware V1.3 also did you do pre flight checks ie calibrate your compass before take off?

Regards

David

Hi David, no, we dont do calibration everytime, but we flew inspire on the same location for few hours with breaks before this has happened without any problems. Error occurred right after automatic raising gear command. I am not sure about the firmware, i can do a check.. I am curious if this one has something in common with all other flyaways.

To all whom it may concern with ownership of DJI inspire 1.

We have been flying ours Inspire 1 for few months till now. A week ago we witnessed a sudden flyaway just after a take off with destructive consequences. Notice that we have been flying inspire on same location for about an hour just before this error occurred. Here is step by step procedure of what has happened:

1. Turned on remote and started mobile app.
2. Turned on Inspire, waited for sync with app and log for all signals (GPS etc...)
3. Started engines
4. Manual took off in GPS mode to aprox. 1,5m height and waited for raising gear
5. Aprox. after 2sec (with raising gear) Inspire flew away with full power to the tree without any rc command (cca 6-7 second of a log file time)
6. Crash and fall down from 6 meters to the ground with broken carbon leg, damaged gimball and all propellers destroyed.

In order to do ours job safe, we need to be sure that DJI is a reliable platform for aerial filming. We also do want to let other pilots know about this issue, so you can fly safe too. We have heard about some flyaways, but everytime it might be a little different. Any comments and ideas would be appreciated.

Flight LOG file
www.mcihar.com/DJIFlightRecord_2015-07-31_[21-15-05].txt-Details.csv

Best regards & fly safe.

Mark
Marek, sorry to hear of the damage after the sudden flyaway. I was flying 2 weeks ago and after 3 successful flights had 2 consecutive attempted flyaways from the same home point. The Inspire zapped off to the left immediately on lift off. I suffered no damage both times as I performed CSC each time and aborted the take off. DJI Support have requested all my flight logs for analysis. I will post their findings when & if they get back to me.

I must say, I was flying with 2 other pilots at the time, so there could have been too much interference from their transmitters although that didn't happen earlier.

Meanwhile I have updated to V1.3.0 and carried out extensive test flights with no mishaps.

Reactions: DroneUAVWorld
Marek, sorry to hear of the damage after the sudden flyaway. I was flying 2 weeks ago and after 3 successful flights had 2 consecutive attempted flyaways from the same home point. The Inspire zapped off to the left immediately on lift off. I suffered no damage both times as I performed CSC each time and aborted the take off. DJI Support have requested all my flight logs for analysis. I will post their findings when & if they get back to me.

I must say, I was flying with 2 other pilots at the time, so there could have been too much interference from their transmitters although that didn't happen earlier.

Meanwhile I have updated to V1.3.0 and carried out extensive test flights with no mishaps.

Thank you for reply!, I am still waiting for request about the firmware number from repair store, so i keep you updated. These issues are kind of scary if you consider situation drone hitting a person.

All the best, M

Reactions: tassieflyer
Did you move the inspire after powering it on during it's self test while camera gimble is spinning? If so that's why. It needs to remain stationary for this procedure.

Did you move the inspire after powering it on during it's self test while camera gimble is spinning? If so that's why. It needs to remain stationary for this procedure.

Have done so a few times, but with no flyaways.
Maybe I have been lucky. :)

Have done so a few times, but with no flyaways.
Maybe I have been lucky. :)
yup, you have. it also depends on how severe of an angle you move it at, if you keep it pretty level you might not notice much but if you tilt it severely or move it a lot when its calibrating the sensors it will think that angle is level and thats what causing most of these fly away problems.

yup, you have. it also depends on how severe of an angle you move it at, if you keep it pretty level you might not notice much but if you tilt it severely or move it a lot when its calibrating the sensors it will think that angle is level and thats what causing most of these fly away problems.

I thought it was only when you IMU-calibrated it was important that it was in the horizontal position.
If it is like you said, you must be careful where you start from, so it is not leaning in any slope eg ..

Has done that more times than I can count.. or is it the moving factor, that is the problem.

Last edited:
No, the slope you put your inspire on before take off doesn't really matter as the IMU knows what is level due to the IMU calibration you have done on a level surface. What matters is that you don't move the inspire when it is warming up/going through its start up sequence. If you take off from a slope and get the inspire in the air it will level itself.

Slope doesn't matter during power on self test like it does for imu calibration, it just needs to be stationary while its initializing the sensors during power up. I threw off from a slope all the time.

So you think it could be due to its bad startup calibration? Drone was flying fine few seconds till auto raising gear command.

Brief update. We 've got ours Inspire 1 replaced by DJI company. I guess it was a firmware problem, but we did not recieved any deep info about the bug.

Cheers and fly safe.

Mark

Hi David, no, we dont do calibration everytime, but we flew inspire on the same location for few hours with breaks before this has happened without any problems. Error occurred right after automatic raising gear command. I am not sure about the firmware, i can do a check.. I am curious if this one has something in common with all other flyaways.

Sorry but i do a compass calibration every time. Better to be sure then ....
kind regards
Marnix

Same problem here. Took off with full GPS, no problem with takeoff and all seemed fine, the machine took off for about 200 metres then flew straight fast into the ground, smashed to bits. Just updated the firmware on the machine a couple of days ago.
Always calibrate imu and compass after updating firmware

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool