Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 video freezing, like on off quickly.

Reaction score
Took delivery of my inspire 1. Had my first flight Friday at 4.04pm. I had the previous day uploaded the new firmware update.
I was getting some good images on video using the 16 gige card that came with the inspire 1. but had the odd frame like freezing. I had bought 2 Sandisk Highest download speed 64 gige cards. I thought that would cure the freezing, far from it. It has magnified it to the point it looks like individual frames being clicked on one after the other. Video images are totally unusable.

I then thought that it might be my old 2008 iMac not able to cope with 4K video. Could this be the case. I have set the camera to 1080 to see if that cures the problem. I would have went and tried it out, But the wind is gusting heavily down the valley where I live.

Any input would be gratefully received. I am looking forward to showing off some video clips, of where I live, way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Took delivery of my inspire 1. Had my first flight Friday at 4.04pm. I had the previous day uploaded the new firmware update.
I was getting some good images on video using the 16 gige card that came with the inspire 1. but had the odd frame like freezing. I had bought 2 Sandisk Highest download speed 64 gige cards. I thought that would cure the freezing, far from it. It has magnified it to the point it looks like individual frames being clicked on one after the other. Video images are totally unusable.

I then thought that it might be my old 2008 iMac not able to cope with 4K video. Could this be the case. I have set the camera to 1080 to see if that cures the problem. I would have went and tried it out, But the wind is gusting heavily down the valley where I live.

Any input would be gratefully received. I am looking forward to showing off some video clips, of where I live, way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Hi Ian

Welcome to the Inspire 1. I stopped at Carter Bar filming last week on my way north to Aberdeen.

I assume from your comments that it is the video recorded on the MicroSD card that is freezing the odd frame. I have not seen this. I would certainly check out the recording at 1080p and check it using Quicktime. You also mention the gusty winds. I have found that although the Inspire 1 gimbal is very stable it can exhibit some shake at high wind speeds.

There is little point in using 4K as you cannot play in on anything other than a computer and you are going to up your available disk space in double quick time.

I bet you're right that you need more computing power to play the 4k video. I've seen the same thing on some computers.

Hi Ian

Welcome to the Inspire 1. I stopped at Carter Bar filming last week on my way north to Aberdeen.

I assume from your comments that it is the video recorded on the MicroSD card that is freezing the odd frame. I have not seen this. I would certainly check out the recording at 1080p and check it using Quicktime. You also mention the gusty winds. I have found that although the Inspire 1 gimbal is very stable it can exhibit some shake at high wind speeds.

There is little point in using 4K as you cannot play in on anything other than a computer and you are going to up your available disk space in double quick time.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I just managed to fit in a flight. I set the res to 1080. There is still a freezing of some video, a tiny percentage when on 4K. It was constant on 4K.

I have fitted a long range extender to my inspire. The video was freezing before I did this. I removed the two original Antennas from the RC. There was on the left Antenna two supply wires. The Wifi Booster upgrade replaced one of these wires. The other I unplugged and removed.

The Wifi Booster upgrade was to the RC not the actual inspire 1.

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I just managed to fit in a flight. I set the res to 1080. There is still a freezing of some video, a tiny percentage when on 4K. It was constant on 4K.

I have fitted a long range extender to my inspire. The video was freezing before I did this. I removed the two original Antennas from the RC. There was on the left Antenna two supply wires. The Wifi Booster upgrade replaced one of these wires. The other I unplugged and removed..

Why would you change the standard antenna? The standard ones operate out to the legal maximum 500m/VLOS especially in open countryside. I have even had good video out to 1500m (by mistake). Try reverting back until you resolve your freezing problem.

Last edited:
Hope this all makes sense.
It doesn't...
You've been talking of playback problems of the footage that's on the card due to your computer not being powerful enough, and now you talk of a range extender which would have nothing to do with that...

Last edited:
Reactions: sirnikolas
It doesn't...
You've been talking of playback problems of the footage that's on the card due to your computer not being powerful enough, and now you talk of a range extended which would have nothing to do with that...

I added the Wifi Bosster upgrade comment, in the off chance that the 2nd wire on the left antenna that I unpluged may have had something to do with the video. I did at 1 mile tonight get a red flashing warning saying video signal weak or something similar.

Cheers

Can a moderator please correct my typo error in the title of this page. Should read inspire not inspore. I cant see how to correct it myself.

Can a moderator please correct my typo error in the title of this page. Should read inspire not inspore. I cant see how to correct it myself.

Title corrected.

However, what concerns me is that without knowing what the 'second wire' was for you have decided to 'unplug it' and not use it!
Leaving aside any legal arguments of altering fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices which are limited to 100mW/20dBa EIRP, you have removed a wire which if involved in transmission will now not be terminated properly (either by way of an antenna or dummy load). The wrong impedance is now being presented to the output stage which means you have increased the standing wave ratio of the whole set up.
Unless you have a good understanding of how the interleaved PCB antennas are interacting and what each of the track lines are being utilised for (TX/RX/Telemetry/Lightbridge/FHSS Control etc) I can't help but think you are asking for problems.
I do not expect your remote control to last too long!

The 2nd antenna on the right side is for communication with a slave remote.

If you disconnected it that won't work and potentially destroy the related radio module in your radio. Assuming you disconnected the "right" one and didn't actually disconnect the one you need to receive video/transmit control to the aircraft.

Messing around with things when you have no idea how they might work is usually not a good idea.

I honestly did not know the legal requirements. I can put it back as it was with no problems.

I have since found out that it it is indeed for the slave, the wire I mentioned.

I have flown the Inspire since doing this. It flew fine with image shown on the iPad Air 2, 100% fine. Only at 1 mile I got a red flashing warning saying video signal weak. I decided to return, at no time did I lose the image. I removed cables and replaced them with cables going to a wifi booster. The electronics in the RC on the pcb have not been altered in any way. Pull a plug out put another in.

What I have done is reversible.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Hi IanSir-L & welcome. Your 2008 iMac will certainly struggle to play 4K video, my 2012 won't process 4K smoothly. I record at that definition so I can view the beauty of my flight on my 4K TV. Set your recording to match the definition of the platform you wish to do your majority viewing & you will be satisfied.

Only at 1 mile I got a red flashing warning saying video signal weak.
At a mile range (1600m) you are already 3 times the UK legal distance and coming close to the stated 2km range for the downlink. I am not surprised that you are getting warning messages, particularly if you have hills around causing multiple signal paths. I also doubt if you can maintain visual sight with your Inspire 1 (the other UK legal requirement).

It may sound that I am pushing the legal thing but the rules are there for a reason. With the media ready to pounce on any drone story, none of us should risk adding to the bad news and further clampdowns on our hobby/business flying.

Reactions: IanSir-L
Another tip is to copy the files from the card to the computer, before trying to view the footage.... Video editing and sometimes playback needs a high spec machine. Or it will just stutter and freeze up

Thank you guys for the feedback.
I live on a Farm way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders.

The Inspire one was purchased to help me in checking the Sheep. ie, for dead ones. I never at any time flew out with the Farm Boundaries. Not intending to use it outwith the Farm Boundaries. The reason for the Wifi Booster was because of the hills. The purchase was not for pleasure, more a visual aid to keep within the laws regarding Dead livestock.

Certainly did not intend to be breaking any laws. Was an impulsive purchase that I could see the benefits for to save a lot of time on the hill in an 8 wheel drive machine. My apologies for my failings in not doing the homework as to the Laws, regarding the drones.

Cheers

I live on a Farm way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders. The Inspire 1 was purchased to help me in checking the Sheep. ie, for dead ones.
Sorry for the little lecture. That is a great news story for what RPAs/drones are good for. I am sure that moving your take-off point (from a quadbike in the valley) you should be able to work within the law. The key point is being able to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) for collision avoidance. You don't want to mess with an RAF Tornado or Typhoon. There are ways to justify Extended Visual Line of Site (ELVOS) operations and your remoteness and own land would serve well in your safety case. Good luck with your plans.

I was hoping to get some video on Youtube for all to see the beauty of where I live. Unfortunately, I have not cracked that side of it yet. Image was way better on 1080, still had half a dozen stutters, frames freezing. I will try to watch on my Wife's Mac Book Pro. It was purchased last year.

I have been looking at the settings and realized I had the recording set to Raw and jpeg. I will drop the Raw and see how it goes from there, as well.

Amazing machine to fly. For someone that is new to this. It was very quick for me to be knowing what I was doing and in control of where I wanted to position the Inspire.

Cheers.

If you're shooting 1080 at 50/60fps the 2008 machine will likely not be able to cope either, but at 25/30 it should be OK. You'll still want to copy the footage from the card to the internal drive first though, old card readers can be too slow.

RAW is only for photos.

Thanks for that info. I feel like I am getting somewhere with the help I am getting. Many Thanks.
New iMac 27" will be next purchase.

Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry