Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 XT camera issues

Reaction score
Me and my partner bought an inspire 1 pro and a zenmuse XT camera for some thermal work.

When we hooked it up to the inspire we could change settings and see through it, but the camera was incredibly sluggish / shuddery on the horizontal axis, and would only turn about 10 degrees.

It said it needed a firmware update, and my partner updated it. Normal beeps, all seemed well.
Then the controller wanted an update, so she did that.

After that, the camera no longer does anything but show picture. Can't change options, format the SD card, or move the gimbal.

I came over today, and she did note that she thinks she may have installed the regular inspire 1 firmware from the dji site, not realizing it needed the pro firmware.
It blinks a yellow light when turned on now, along with the camera just showing video, leading me to believe it needs an update, but I've been leaving it on with the SD card in for 45 minutes at a time and haven't even gotten a beep. :(

Firmware update steps I follow are:
Insert SD into pc
Format to fat32
Drop dji inspire 1 pro firmware onto SD (I think like 1.11 something)
Eject sd
Pull SD, place in camera
Turn on inspire
Hear initialization noise, watch blinking light for 45 minutes.
Camera update status txt file says aborted.

So... I'm about out of ideas.
Did notice the camera is listed as 1.15.0.18, even though the update says 1.31.00.60...
Is that the issue?

I honestly can't tell if it's even the inspire or the camera not updating correctly, at this point.
Any help you guys can offer would be absolutely fantastic, and thanks in advance!

Words of advice, since the hardware you are dealing with is VERY expensive.

DO NOT FORMAT THE MICROSD CARD YOU INITIALLY USED TO DO THE UPGRADE THE FIRST TIME!!!

If you did, you are screwed. It contained log files that would prove to DJI exactly what happened and would allow them to fix/replace the Zenmuse XT on their dime due to a firmware upgrade problem.

If you formatted that card and attempted to do the upgrade again, then you are now stuck paying to fix the XT camera.

Do a search on here for my trials and tribulations on a Zenmuse X5 that died during a firmware update and you will see what I mean.

Now, to try to help you further, do not do anything else, contact DJI Support and let them help you.

Be sure to have everything documented correctly, and follow the instructions they give you (they will have you do resets, and even do a "forced" firmware upgrade), but ultimately you will probably have to send the camera back in to them.

If you have the files from the original firmware upgrade, they may be able to fix it remotely. If not they still have a chance of fixing it over the phone/email (since you stated you still get video out of the camera). But when gimbals go dead, it is usually a sign THEIR firmware update process went wrong and because of that THEY are responsible. But you NEED to have the log files of what happened available to be able to send them.

I got them to replace a X5 when that happened during EXACTLY the same type of process you outlined. I had the log files to prove what happened, as well as video showing the camera working immediately before the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, we did format the card while we were trying to fix the problem...

That being said, is it possible that it's something else? Would the firmware stop everything from working?

The controller won't even control the drone at this point, and if we try to do the AC firmware I don't even get a log file, it just initializes and flashes yellow. :-(

Went ahead and opened a support ticket with DJI, I guess we'll see what they have to say.

Firmware updates bricking the camera is rough man! Bleh.

Thanks for the help though! :)

Me and my partner bought an inspire 1 pro and a zenmuse XT camera for some thermal work.

When we hooked it up to the inspire we could change settings and see through it, but the camera was incredibly sluggish / shuddery on the horizontal axis, and would only turn about 10 degrees.

It said it needed a firmware update, and my partner updated it. Normal beeps, all seemed well.
Then the controller wanted an update, so she did that.

After that, the camera no longer does anything but show picture. Can't change options, format the SD card, or move the gimbal.

I came over today, and she did note that she thinks she may have installed the regular inspire 1 firmware from the dji site, not realizing it needed the pro firmware.
It blinks a yellow light when turned on now, along with the camera just showing video, leading me to believe it needs an update, but I've been leaving it on with the SD card in for 45 minutes at a time and haven't even gotten a beep. :(

Firmware update steps I follow are:
Insert SD into pc
Format to fat32
Drop dji inspire 1 pro firmware onto SD (I think like 1.11 something)
Eject sd
Pull SD, place in camera
Turn on inspire
Hear initialization noise, watch blinking light for 45 minutes.
Camera update status txt file says aborted.

So... I'm about out of ideas.
Did notice the camera is listed as 1.15.0.18, even though the update says 1.31.00.60...
Is that the issue?

I honestly can't tell if it's even the inspire or the camera not updating correctly, at this point.
Any help you guys can offer would be absolutely fantastic, and thanks in advance!
Did you tried to put the XT firmware file on the SD and perform the update?

This one:
Zenmuse XT Firmware V.01.31.00.60 (Inspire 1 Pro/Raw)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters