Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 and cold temperature question

Yep, I'd agree... the I2 once flying in extreme cold appears to fly but you can tell it's cold... landing gear little more stiff, and basically electronics below their designed limits. My concern for safety; flying a nature area might not be as bad. The loss of operation results in craft coming down... not desired but if one wants to gamble that may be acceptable. Flying a downtown city construction site, is very concerning to fail in extreme cold. It may result in major losses, damages, or legal suits. I have a Electrical Power Sub-station next block over... it would be very bad to loose craft and it goes down within sub-station.

Launching in cold is like you mentioned, needs to be warm. I personally feel it's not only batteries but also craft electronics. I experimented today. If I kept batteries warm (in pockets & self heaters on) and I2 sitting on drive way... it had compass or various errors popup. Take camera off, and take I2 inside... then bring outside... it launched and flew without errors. That tells me it's on the edge of failure even when flying.

I also recently purchased a 2nd I2 with X7 and another X4S. Haven't tried that one yet to compare.

I am impressed with the M2P. I think it performs better in extreme cold. Maybe it's mental comfort level, but I do feel it's a better cold weather craft. I also haven't tried the M210, which is suppose to be a better craft in extreme cold.
And let me know your first impression of the X7 once you try it
I'm curious to know how it compare to the X5s

I will join you both experimenting with winter flights as soon as I find a pair of sufficient gloves :D ...

I will join you both experimenting with winter flights as soon as I find a pair of sufficient gloves :D ...

Agree on the fingers! Once hands go cold, I’m hurting!
As a past Heavy Chemo recipient, nerve damage and sensitive to cold in fingers resulted... not complaining, better than alternative... but presents an extra cold issue.

I searched for gloves that were warm but useable both in screen and tactile feel on sticks. Tried many that others suggested, without success. The conductive contact through gloves for me is crap... if fingers cold, the contact doesn't work. Then tried multiple types of finger cutouts or flip-ups, most poor fitting, cutout too loose or not out of the way.

Some have tried these gloves with negative comments.
i personally think they’re the best found... for a thin warm glove for radio. The cut outs are snug, heat stays in glove. The flip has snaps, and the glove has several techie material layers... good warm thin glove. Purchased a 2nd pair recently.

But ideally, any thin glove needs a few more items.
A heat pad and a muff... tried multiple heat pads. All to weak, the lighter fluid ones never get hot enough and most battery are either too low in heat or only last 20 minutes.

This heat pad is Hot, and lasts. If left on bench,,, it won’t build hot temp... needs closed space like all of them. If placed in pocket or muff the aluminum case gets toasty hot, grab with hands & fingers to quickly thaw fingers to circulating blood again. Some state the high setting is way too hot, not me... I love the heat on cold fingers!

The muff, use the chemical heat pads or place the battery heater inside... makes whole chamber pretty warm. Honestly, haven’t used muff more than experimenting... works nice, just haven’t applied it yet in practice. I had envisioned placing drone batteries in to keep warm.

But the gloves & Heater pad are great... I put the heater in a cargo pocket and take out to hold & warm fingers.

PGYTECH Photography Gloves Outdoor Mountaineering Ski Riding Flip Windproof Waterproof Touch Screen Multifunction Flying Gloves (XL(133g)) Amazon.com : PGYTECH Photography Gloves Outdoor Mountaineering Ski Riding Flip Windproof Waterproof Touch Screen Multifunction Flying Gloves (XL(133g)) : Sports & Outdoors

BigBlue Rechargeable 3-in-1 10000mAh Charger with Emergency Light, Portable Reusable Charger with Double-Side Heat for Winter Sports, Ski, Hiking, Camping, Gift-Giving (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8679SX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3qY9DbQQTYGAY

Heat Factory Fleece-Lined Hand Muff with Hand and Body Heat Warmer Pockets, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SOQ7MI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DrY9DbKG8DMPQ

I held off on the X7 at first... read that it was cinematic primarily, and actually a soft image. As it’s been out for a while, that’s been shown as not accurate. The X4S is a mechanical leaf shutter... same exact camera as P4P. Up to 1/8000 it’s mechanical and ideal for photogrammetry, 3D modeling and various terrain capture. The X5S is not a mechanical shutter, but recently discovered the X7 is the same as the X4S, mechanical to 1/8000 but with Full Frame Super35 sensor. Several RTK / PPK system package venders are recommending the X7 ( and X4S) and performing a trigger mod to increase accuracy. They‘ve indicated the terrain images are extremely good.

My X5S appears to do a nice job on terrain images (construction survey), but curious to see how much better the X7 will provide. The X4S is great, but I like the X5S & X7 for lens options.

The X7 remains a pricy option, especially when you add the DJI lens pak or the 3rd party 9mm. That was another major reason to not purchase.

Agree on the fingers! Once hands go cold, I’m hurting!
Thank you for these tips, brother. In my landscape photography winter is the thing I'm planning for years and never had enough determination to do so ...

I held off on the X7 at first... read that it was cinematic primarily, and actually a soft image. As it’s been out for a while, that’s been shown as not accurate. The X4S is a mechanical leaf shutter... same exact camera as P4P. Up to 1/8000 it’s mechanical and ideal for photogrammetry, 3D modeling and various terrain capture. The X5S is not a mechanical shutter, but recently discovered the X7 is the same as the X4S, mechanical to 1/8000 but with Full Frame Super35 sensor. Several RTK / PPK system package venders are recommending the X7 ( and X4S) and performing a trigger mod to increase accuracy. They‘ve indicated the terrain images are extremely good.

My X5S appears to do a nice job on terrain images (construction survey), but curious to see how much better the X7 will provide. The X4S is great, but I like the X5S & X7 for lens options.

The X7 remains a pricy option, especially when you add the DJI lens pak or the 3rd party 9mm. That was another major reason to not purchase.
Thanks for the info about the X7
It make no sense for my need because of the price / performance ratio but i was curious about the overall performance of the X7.
I guess if you have no intention to use it at it "full potential" at 6K it's not really worth it...
But 6K files in DNG...that's a lot of data to process,better have a world class computer to manage those files.
You are right about the X4s and the Phantom 4 Pro having the same camera quality,i've compare them side by side and they give pretty much the same image quality.
The X5s is definitely a step up even if i only use the H264,i don't have a powerful enough computer to deal with 5K stuff yet...

I waited on the X7 as well due to the “softness” reviews, and I felt like a dolt for waiting as long as I did once I flew it and saw the results. The stills are fantastic, and so is the video. Im fully pleased with my purchase. Im still scratching my head figuring out how I would get “soft” results short of purposefully de-focusing the shot. It is still butt-clenching to watch that expensive camera take off every time though.

-K

I waited on the X7 as well due to the “softness” reviews, and I felt like a dolt for waiting as long as I did once I flew it and saw the results. The stills are fantastic, and so is the video. Im fully pleased with my purchase. Im still scratching my head figuring out how I would get “soft” results short of purposefully de-focusing the shot. It is still butt-clenching to watch that expensive camera take off every time though.

-K
LOL... I agree with your whole post... And humorously agree with the $$ on take off hanging underneath. Great analogy on the emotion too! That X7 & any lens is a pricey package hanging there. Until you have it in hand, you don't quite realize just how big this camera is physically. It's not a small package, and the carbon lenses all being the same size is a great design.

Due to the fear of watching it dangle or fall, I've since ordered and installed the DJI Gimbal retainer straps to both I2's so not relying on 3 soft gimbal bushings being fully responsible.

Your comment on stills... That's the precisely the point I was stating... it's not just a great S35 FF 6K video camera... which it is, still holds top marks! It's a very nice "stills" camera too. One look at the photography specs shows it's strength in both worlds. My A7Riii is a great video but it's a top-end Stills... which I use more that video. The X7 mechanical shutter makes it even more precise for stills & associated terrain images... actually any stills from a moving aerial platform benefit form a mechanical shutter. I don't have the articles referenced, but the discussion of large sensor vs high meg sensors has a lot of validity. A 2/3rd 40mb sensor isn't going to produce the quality images obtainable from a smaller 30meg sensor in a full frame size. A A7Sii with a 12mb sensor still retains top marks for night & ultra high ISO, ultra crisp clean low noise night shots, but a great video camera too!

I haven't tried a 3rd party lens on the X7 yet, but looking forward to experimenting. On the X5S, the best lens in my opinion is the Zuiko 12mm/F2 for it's sharp & full auto; but the Laowa 7.5mm on the X5S is extremely sharp. The Laowa 9mm on the X7 from various reviews appears to be even better than the 7.5 mft. The fuss to setup lens isn't as problematic as the 7.5mm.... apparently the 9mm sets up nicely.

I do hope... and look forward to additional DL lenses for the X7. I can't imagine flushing that mount after all the work & design to introduce it. There may be an X8 soon, but I think we'll see new DL lenses too.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Back on the cold... this Winter I do plan to experiment more with aerial.

On that subject... an oddity noticed, as lightly mentioned a few posts up.
I experienced an oddity this weekend in the cold dealing with Props.

I switched to the T-Motor carbon props last year. The ones with the small downward tip.
I thought they performed smoother in hover, more responsive (stiff blade), and actually a little less noise... or a different pitch. I've had No Issues with these props, until this weekend in cold temps.

In the sub-freezing cold of 14F, when taking off the Ft would lift a good 4-6" with the rear still on the ground.
Looked like a pending blade strike, so I stopped... removed the props & reinstalled; All looked correct.
Tried it again with same results... then on the 3rd attempt I thought I'd hold it longer with ft lifted up to see if the gyro or ICM adjusted or warmed, when I received an error message about not using High Altitude props.
I aborted the I2 and resorted to the M2P.

Later in the day, I removed & reinstalled the DJI Mounts & Props.
Retested with no issues... temp remained 14-16F degrees.
So beware... 3rd Party Props may not perform as well as OEM props.

I like the carbon props... but don't desire to break pricey carbon props! I'll run the OEM for Winter, may just remain on OEM props. I'l like to see a quality Carbon Prop made with the same mount design as OEM, so you could use the same OEM Mount; Able to switch easily between plastic & carbon. The stiff carbon does improve performance & response in controls.

The other "NEW" thing I learned in the cold this weekend.
On the Screen, next to battery indicators is a small Icon indicating Batteries are warming up.
It's suggested not to fly until battery warming indicator is off. Either my batteries were already warm in previous cold flights or I just haven't noticed that icon. Flipping to the Battery page, you could monitor the batteries' temps warming up.

Anyone else notice 3rd Party props behave differently in extreme cold.
I've use the XOAR on the Inspire 1 and didn't notice any oddity.
Interesting that the T-Motor Props triggered a High Altitude error. Does that indicate they're more drag due to increased angle in lift? Or spinning slower or faster... just thought it was odd.
Especially how it lifted the Ft and not the back legs... that was concerning! Would hate to see a Inspire 2 take a back flip on take off.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah