Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 and cold temperature question

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I live in Canada and the winter is pretty much here !!
How would like to know how the colder temperature is affecting the flying capability of the Inspire 2? The main reason why i'm asking is because i've notice that i keep losing the signal of my Inspire 2. I've 3 remote controller,the 2 stock one and one Cendence with both Patch Antenna and stock antenna.The problem is not coming from the controller cause they all act the same way,none of them seem better than another.Yesterday i've totally lost the signal while i could still see my Inspire 2 very well and that never happen before...not even close... The only link that i can think of right now is the cold temperature.The Inspire 2 is suppose to be able to handle -20°C and all my signal lost experiences so far have happen between 0 and -10°C.Could this be related to the ipad that i'm using to fly ? I've 2 of them and the problem happen with both. From what i've read,the ipad is not suppose to be use at 0°C or less so that could be where my problem is coming from but other than the signal lost,there is no sign of ipad malfunction...no screen freeze or lagging image...
My next step would be to try a Crystal Sky instead of a ipad cause they can handle -20°C...
Any input would be welcome
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys
I live in Canada and the winter is pretty much here !!
How would like to know how the colder temperature is affecting the flying capability of the Inspire 2? The main reason why i'm asking is because i've notice that i keep losing the signal of my Inspire 2. I've 3 remote controller,the 2 stock one and one Cendence with both Patch Antenna and stock antenna.The problem is not coming from the controller cause they all act the same way,none of them seem better than another.Yesterday i've totally lost the signal while i could still see my Inspire 2 very well and that never happen before...not even close... The only link that i can think of right now is the cold temperature.The Inspire 2 is suppose to be able to handle -20°C and all my signal lost experiences so far have happen between 0 and -10°C.Could this be related to the ipad that i'm using to fly ? I've 2 of them and the problem happen with both. From what i've read,the ipad is not suppose to be use at 0°C or less so that could be where my problem is coming from but other than the signal lost,there is no sign of ipad malfunction...no screen freeze or lagging image...
My next step would be to try a Crystal Sky instead of a ipad cause they can handle -20°C...
Thanks!
Unlikely, but there's a possibility that one of aircraft's antennas is disconnected. These are wired to a Cinecore module and plugged there in particular order. Antenna pads are hidden in landing legs and also should be examined for connectivity.

Thanks Dobmatt for your input and it's a possibility but like you've mention very unlikely...We had a "much warmer" sunny weather yesterday ( around 0°C to 5°C ) and my signal was much better during the first 15 to 30 mins then the signal lost start to re-appear...as the ipad or something else was getting colder i guess.So i really start to believe my theory of the problem being related to the cold...somehow.

I have flown my I2 for several years in cold New England weather during winter. Frequently in teens. Never had an issue, but I don't allow any of the gear to be exposed when not in flight. I assume this is a location that you have flown in the past. Have you tried a different location?

Hi jkerrins and thanks for your input !
One thing that i should have mention.
I always fly at the same place which is right at home...
I live in the middle of nowhere...
My closest neighbor is about 1.5 km from my place,i'm surrounded by woods and fields so there is pretty much no "signal pollution".
Were you using a ipad,iphone or a Android device to fly ?

Conductivity decreases as temp decreases for electronic stuff. It sounds like your issue is related to some sketchy antenna connections. As the temp gets warmer your antenna connections are better. I have flown my I2 in -25F without an issue (good distance). I am however using the CrystalSky (the iPad battery dies fast in low temps). But the connection (control) issue is not related to the video device. That is why at times I have to reboot my Crystalsky and it never has lost connection for flying. That said there is one issue that I have always dealt with in low temps, and that is 'rolling shutter'. It seems that once I am below -10F the little dampening shock balls get real stiff and do not do their job. If you are filming and pushing hard on the throttle, the rolling shutter will appear. No issues floating along doing smooth shots. Just one thing I need to watch when it is really cold.

I use the iPad Mini for my backup I1. The biggest advantage to the Crystalsky is to be able to switch out batteries. Once the iPad's batteries die, that is it for an hour or so to re-charge. My projects are often most of a day. There is too much at risk to loose the monitor (unless you have multiple iPads).

Okay...then maybe the problem is not my ipads but mines are bigger,i got one 12.9" ipad Pro and one 10.5" ipad Pro,maybe the bigger one are more affected by the cold ...I guess the easiest way to find out would be to go rent a Crystal Sky monitor and try it on a cold day...i already have the Crystal Sky mount on my Cendence remote controller.
If there is still a problem with the Crystal Sky then it's not related to the ipad and if everything is fine,then ... welcome Crystal Sky !!
This is my first winter flying drones so it's a "new territory" for me,i still got a lot to learn
Thanks for the help guys !

One way to test would be to try a hover, then turn off the iPad. Then fly away 500' and see if it kicks into return. Do this on both a warm and cold day. If it still kicks into return only on the cold day, then it likely has nothing to do with the iPad. The monitor is only for pilot info. You do not need the camera or the monitor to fly. The Mavic is the same way. To 'fly out' (discharge) my Mavic batteries I never use the display. I simply fly around until my receiver shows 50%. If you are flying with a Cendence, the battery levels are on the receiver also. My 2 bits.....

That a interesting idea but i don't think i've "enough balls" to do that...
Everytime i'm losing the signal my heart is almost stopping.
There is always a small voice in my head telling me " what if the drone is not coming back..."
I'm extremely not comfortable with the automatic return home even if it did "save my ***" more than once in the last month...

Hi Guys
After a lot of testing I've pretty much find out where my constant signal loss cause by the cold weather is coming from.It have nothing to do with the remote controller or the my ipads being too cold.It seem to be related to the 4 Inspire 2 antenna.wires ( see the picture ).The connection from 2 of them are quite loose,meaning that there is a small gap in 2 of the connection ( male to female ).Like all materials,the heat create expansion of that material and the cold do the opposite.The connection are already loose at room temperature so my guess is that as the drone is getting colder,the connection are getting looser to the point where there is no more contact...I nowhere near a expert in that departement but it seem to make sense.
Is there a way to " tighten up " those connection ?
Cause they are just push in and keep in place by a small snap ring
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2019-12-07 at 8.25.02 AM.png
    Screen shot 2019-12-07 at 8.25.02 AM.png
    798.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi Guys
After a lot of testing I've pretty much find out where my constant signal loss cause by the cold weather is coming from.It have nothing to do with the remote controller or the my ipads being too cold.It seem to be related to the 4 Inspire 2 antenna.wires ( see the picture ).The connection from 2 of them are quite loose,meaning that there is a small gap in 2 of the connection ( male to female ).Like all materials,the heat create expansion of that material and the cold do the opposite.The connection are already loose at room temperature so my guess is that as the drone is getting colder,the connection are getting looser to the point where there is no more contact...I nowhere near a expert in that departement but it seem to make sense.
Is there a way to " tighten up " those connection ?
Cause they are just push in and keep in place by a small snap ring
Thanks!

That's quite brave to take the housing off the INSP2...to expose the wires. I fly INSP2, with Crystal Sky & Cendence. Occasionally I get a momentary loss of signal...the dreaded red flashed notice, on the upper left of the screen. I don't know if that's loss of monitor signal or flight signal but its barely a second..It has no logic to when, whether cold or warm or near structures or not...It sends a lump into my throat but not always viewable as the signal loss is often a second or less....thoughts from anyone? Last week, flew INSP2 in northern Vermont..23-32 degrees Farenheit...occasional signal loss of a second...batteries and INSP2 kept warm prior to flight.

I don't have a tremendous amount of flying hours in cold temps and I just returned from Portland, OR doing flights in the mid to upper 30's with wind gust up to 20 mph. I didn't have any issues. Have you tried re-configuring your antenna's on the remotes? Another work around that I just thought of was try to set something up with those hand warmer packs to keep things warm. Not pretty but warmer!?

I've 3 different remote controller,the 2 stock one and a Cendence with the stock antenna and the Patch Antenna.Yesterday,even if it was too cold for my Phantom 4 Pro i've took a risk and link the Cendence to the Phantom 4 Pro...i did the exact same traject that i'm doing to test my signal and there was no drop at all in the signal so...the problem is not coming from the remote controller antenna..it's from the Inspire 2 antenna.And since i never had a crash or any contact with anything,the problem have start as the weather was getting colder...That's where i'm at the moment...The thing is,i always fly at the same place...always so it's not a emplacement issue too cause i didn't have that problem during the fall after many hours of flying...
And the search continue...
Thanks for the input guys !!

That's quite brave to take the housing off the INSP2...to expose the wires. I fly INSP2, with Crystal Sky & Cendence. Occasionally I get a momentary loss of signal...the dreaded red flashed notice, on the upper left of the screen. I don't know if that's loss of monitor signal or flight signal but its barely a second..It has no logic to when, whether cold or warm or near structures or not...It sends a lump into my throat but not always viewable as the signal loss is often a second or less....thoughts from anyone? Last week, flew INSP2 in northern Vermont..23-32 degrees Farenheit...occasional signal loss of a second...batteries and INSP2 kept warm prior to flight.
Only 8 screws to remove to take off the 2 plastic hoods...i'm no hero...trust me !!

I am new to the inspire 2 but have been flying DJI since 2013 (Phantom1). I have a P4P and had been flying an Inspire 1 for years when I upgraded to I2. I took the I2 out for a test flight and experienced the same disappointing range issues. Even within line of sight, I started getting intermittent video signal and control signal drop out and disconnects at just 700-800 meters. I've tried 3 locations and its the same in each location. I just wanted to interject that this so you know, while it's not common, others are experiencing it too. A search of other forums shows some of the experienced pilots are suggesting it might have to do with a firmware update. IDK.

I've try the 3 firmware available at this time,no change...And i did get the signal lost within line of sight too but all my problem have start with the colder weather...I always fly at home,so when start my Inspire 2,it's still pretty much room temperature and i'm okay for a few minutes then the signal start breaking a little,and while i'm returning home,it's getting worse and worse to the point where i almost always losing the signal completely and the automatic return home is "kicking in"

I had the same issue.
I tried another remote controller, new updates and so on.
Ended up replacing the main controller. Now everything's fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry