Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 and cold temperature question

By " Main Controller " do you mean it's a hardware part on the Inspire 2 ?
Also,did you end up buy the GPS module that the guy was suggesting ?

I've just look at the price !!
Wow...
Definitely not cheap...
Does this module also increase the stability or other things ?

Okay...so it's not helping the stability issue...for a minute,,,i almost had some hope
Thanks anyway for the info about the Main Module Controller...
At least now i know what i'm dealing with
Take Care Man !!

Reactions: xstazio
Hi Guys
After a lot of testing I've pretty much find out where my constant signal loss cause by the cold weather is coming from.It have nothing to do with the remote controller or the my ipads being too cold.It seem to be related to the 4 Inspire 2 antenna.wires ( see the picture ).The connection from 2 of them are quite loose,meaning that there is a small gap in 2 of the connection ( male to female ).Like all materials,the heat create expansion of that material and the cold do the opposite.The connection are already loose at room temperature so my guess is that as the drone is getting colder,the connection are getting looser to the point where there is no more contact...I nowhere near a expert in that departement but it seem to make sense.
Is there a way to " tighten up " those connection ?
Cause they are just push in and keep in place by a small snap ring
Any input would be welcome
Thanks!
Well, since you're investigating antenna wiring connectivity ... Check the other end connectors, which are of the same type but straight (not elbow). These are hidden in legs and plugged directly into antenna pads. Forgive me if I'm talking obvious things here, but don't pull by the wire when disconnecting. Use small nose pliers and grab the connector instead. Disconnect both ends and check the conductivity of a core and screen individually (these are coax wires) with an ohmmeter. Be careful, these are delicate things. Test one wire at a time, make sure they're plugged back In the same order ...

I did thought about that but i've decide to start with the other end of each cable because it was much easier to access.But like Xstazio have mention,changing the Main Controller Module have fix his problem,by doing that he never touch the part of the antenna cable in each legs.
Today,it was quite cold ( -15 ) and "empty" 4 battery kit on my Inspire 2...always the same protocol,i was putting 2 fresh battery,taking my Inspire 2 ( room temperature ) outside and i was taking off right away.Everything was fine during the first 5 to 10 mins then the signal lost is starting slowly...again and again until i can clearly see the bird but the automatic return home is kicking in...I did that 4 times today,after each flight i was letting the bird warming up to room temperature and trying again...
I've try again all 3 firmwares available and no difference...The main controller module make a lot of sense.

I did thought about that but i've decide to start with the other end of each cable because it was much easier to access.But like Xstazio have mention,changing the Main Controller Module have fix his problem,by doing that he never touch the part of the antenna cable in each legs.
Today,it was quite cold ( -15 ) and "empty" 4 battery kit on my Inspire 2...always the same protocol,i was putting 2 fresh battery,taking my Inspire 2 ( room temperature ) outside and i was taking off right away.Everything was fine during the first 5 to 10 mins then the signal lost is starting slowly...again and again until i can clearly see the bird but the automatic return home is kicking in...I did that 4 times today,after each flight i was letting the bird warming up to room temperature and trying again...
I've try again all 3 firmwares available and no difference...The main controller module make a lot of sense.
The GPS part for $35 isn't for GPS signal improvements, it's to provide a RC base GPS location point for RTH and mobile home points.

As mentioned, the coax cable connections are critical for stable & strong signals. Replacing the main controller could correct electronic problems or coax connections couplers.

The coax connections are mini-sized and will spread or deform relatively easy. The center cable normally isn't as exposed to damage. You can slightly reshape the outer connector barrel to improve connectivity, by very slightly reshaping. It doesn't require 360 degree contact, just solid reliable contact on majority of the barrel.

I'd suggest very slightly reshaping the cable connectors to improve tension & connection.
If that doesn't help, I'd replace the main controller.

Regarding disassembly of I2. It's actually a relatively easy craft to disassemble. The battery well cassette failed on 1 of mine and needed replaced. I was surprised the level it needed to be taken down, separate upper and lower sections and all the electronics needing to be disconnected. Very well designed and integrated into a minimal package containing so much electronics. The point of disassembly comments was the compactness and the detail to the routing of wires. This too could be a possible point of concern, crushed coax or chafed could also be a failure point where the upper and lower sections slide apart if wires aren't within the small routing grooves.

That all said, I tend to agree most probable failure is the main controller.

Another problem that i've notice today and this time it's not related at all to the antenna/signal problem but it's again related to the cold.
I've notice that when i'm ready to land and i activated the "lower the landing gear" lever down,my landing gear doesn't go down all the way.
The bottom of the legs are pretty much equal to the camera,meaning that if i land that way,the camera is gonna hit the ground too.
In order to correct that problem,i need to activated the lever to lower the landing gear...once the legs are down and stop,i've to gave
another quick up and down shot at the lever and this time the legs are go down totally.
So in order to see if that would happen at room temperature i did that test inside and when the Inspire is not cold,i only have to lower
the landing gear lever down once and the legs are going down normally...i've try it several time and it work normally every time...
That's another proof that my Inspire 2 can't handle the cold and like i've mention earlier,this time it's not related to the antenna whatsoever...

Another problem that i've notice today and this time it's not related at all to the antenna/signal problem but it's again related to the cold.
I've notice that when i'm ready to land and i activated the "lower the landing gear" lever down,my landing gear doesn't go down all the way.
The bottom of the legs are pretty much equal to the camera,meaning that if i land that way,the camera is gonna hit the ground too.
In order to correct that problem,i need to activated the lever to lower the landing gear...once the legs are down and stop,i've to gave
another quick up and down shot at the lever and this time the legs are go down totally.
So in order to see if that would happen at room temperature i did that test inside and when the Inspire is not cold,i only have to lower
the landing gear lever down once and the legs are going down normally...i've try it several time and it work normally every time...
That's another proof that my Inspire 2 can't handle the cold and like i've mention earlier,this time it's not related to the antenna whatsoever...
That sounds like an issue concerning tolerance, caused by 1) dirt, or film of oily dirt in area of retract components, 2) loose retainers (fasteners) allowing a component to shift, 3) pivot points on arms - similar to #1, 4) retract arm that connects to landing struts pivot lever. Has it been greased, or sprayed? Some lubricants can thicken in cold, does it have any aftermarket components mounted? As example; I use the motor secure braces by Atellai, and if installed wrong will increase retract resistance. Inspire 2 Rotor Fix Kit | ULTIMADRONE | Atellani
I‘m not a heavy cold flyer, but I have used mine in 15-22 F temps without issues. Had more issues with my Yuneec H520 retracts extending fully in cold.

The cold shouldn’t effect the I2 in the temp range you‘ve indicated. There is a shop in Cananda that states in videos they use their I2’s heavily in very cold weather. They also have some nice videography of ice & snow.
YellowHouse Aerial

I'm so not a expert but according from what you are saying...while the 2 issue are cold related there would be no link other than that ?
Meaning that the "landing gear" problem is totally unrelated to the "signal lost" problem ?
It's just a "happy" coincidence ??

Sorry i've miss one of your question...
No modification at all,as far as i know,my Inspire 2 is as stock as it's possible to be,never been lube too...

I'm so not a expert but according from what you are saying...while the 2 issue are cold related there would be no link other than that ?
Meaning that the "landing gear" problem is totally unrelated to the "signal lost" problem ?
It's just a "happy" coincidence ??
Late reply...
Not sure I follow you on above follow-up question. The post I responded, you indicated a separate issue not related, and I would agree with the Dx assessment. Unless I'm missing a discussion point, the landing gear mechanics and electronics aren't associated to the RF signals and their associated electronics. The RF receives signal to activate the landing circuit or the belly sensor activates due to altitude / ground specified height. Beyond receiving a signal to activate retract electronics, there isn't any additional communication... I'm not even certain there is return-signal providing acknowledgement the retract circuit completed it's action, I think it's just a trigger signal.

Not completing the retract action... Up or Down would be a mechanical or electronic isolated failure of the retract.
The trigger to activate retract doesn't pass back a completed retract signal, which is why you don't receive a retract failure notice on screen or why the system doesn't attempt to pulse or repeat the retract if not completed.
That said, since it's "activating" the retract consistently, that indicates the electronics circuit is most likely operational and the problem is more probable a mechanical isolated problem. If it works smoothly without drag in warmer temps, I'd focus on tolerance or lubricants of the physical moving parts. This is a very low torque component, so it wouldn't take much physical resistance to stop the process. You indicate the 2 struts travel in-sync, so that rules out a few possible parts being broken and focuses more on physical resistance of movable parts or 1 part striking or binding another part stopping the action.

Can you duplicate on-bench... activate the retracts and observe & listen for any indication of drag. Was any component over tightened, repaired with a spot of glue, removed & replaced possibly incorrect? All things to consider... but if functions smooth in warmer temps, I'd lean towards lube or pivot point either not tightened correctly or worn loose & shifting.

I'd throw a set of batteries on that you want to discharge a bit... and just run the retracts on bench (manual button) or RC lever; watching the whole mechanical parts-train for a noticeable pivot failure. In needed, place outside and allow it to get cold, bring it back in and retest.

Something should expose itself,
Good Luck!

Sorry i've miss one of your question...
No modification at all,as far as i know,my Inspire 2 is as stock as it's possible to be,never been lube too...
I used my Inspire 2 w X5S today... or attempted... on a construction site survey.
The mounted T-Mobile props gave a Hi-Altitude Prop warning, preventing a take-off.
Today's temps were 12-14F with 5-10 mph wind, and air was a damp pre-snow air.
My conclusions is 20-25F is probably a safe limit for low temp for the Inspire 2.
At least for downtown City construction surveys... not a good location if cold failure.

I later experimented swapped the mounts & props back to Stock OEM to examine the Cold take-off oddity (Ft Lifting & tilting craft upward). Swapping props appeared to correct the lift issue.

On your landing gear issue, my experience today, the Inspire 2's landing gear operated, but I could hear stiffness and a little squeal in the gear. I think the cold freezing temps did effect the landing gear. I also noticed when bringing it inside (leaving X5S outside) the gear box and various components had heavy moisture in the warmer temps. I would leave it in long enough to dry off the moisture.

I also feel either the Compass or GPS system were effected by the low temps. If allowed to get cold, the compass would not calibrate. The chassis fan that is normally quite was abnormally noise too.

I'd not feel comfortable putting the Inspire 2 up when below 20F. Too much investment.
I will say, the Mavic Pro & Mavic 2 Pro both behave very nicely cold.
I sent the Mavic2Pro up to perform the survey and it flew very nicely; no oddities, no additional noise, appeared very stable.

...long story short...
Because my Inspire 2 seem to had too much troubles with the cold and because it's winter over here,drones prices have drop quite a lot.
I've bought,at a bargain price,a second Inspire 2 with a X5s,my first Inspire 2 had the X4s.
My Inspire 2 ( #1 ) start having problem at 0°C and the lower the temperature go,the more problem are emerging...
My Inspire 2 ( #2 ) can handle the cold like a champion,no signal lost,no landing gear problem,nothing...at least for now and i've test it at -20°C and wind
but like you've mention...i'm too not that comfortable flying at those "extreme" cold temperature.I don't like pushing those limit.
I feel like it's "playing roulette russe"...
One day,our luck can turn and disaster might happen.
I've also try my Phantom 4 Pro that day at -20C and it didn't seem too much disturbed,i was monitoring the battery temperature,it never go below 25°C
during the whole flight but i've start with a room temperature battery,maybe a bit higher than that cause i've start the Phantom inside to let it warm even more before the test.

Yep, I'd agree... the I2 once flying in extreme cold appears to fly but you can tell it's cold... landing gear little more stiff, and basically electronics below their designed limits. My concern for safety; flying a nature area might not be as bad. The loss of operation results in craft coming down... not desired but if one wants to gamble that may be acceptable. Flying a downtown city construction site, is very concerning to fail in extreme cold. It may result in major losses, damages, or legal suits. I have a Electrical Power Sub-station next block over... it would be very bad to loose craft and it goes down within sub-station.

Launching in cold is like you mentioned, needs to be warm. I personally feel it's not only batteries but also craft electronics. I experimented today. If I kept batteries warm (in pockets & self heaters on) and I2 sitting on drive way... it had compass or various errors popup. Take camera off, and take I2 inside... then bring outside... it launched and flew without errors. That tells me it's on the edge of failure even when flying.

I also recently purchased a 2nd I2 with X7 and another X4S. Haven't tried that one yet to compare.

I am impressed with the M2P. I think it performs better in extreme cold. Maybe it's mental comfort level, but I do feel it's a better cold weather craft. I also haven't tried the M210, which is suppose to be a better craft in extreme cold.

I feel the same way with my Phantom 4 Pro,it seem to handle the whole cold thing better but my most major concern with smaller
drone is that they only have one battery,if that battery fail...you going down !!
With the Inspire 2,you have a spare one...
But if anything else fail...must not be fun to watch !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ai900exam