Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 andd Litchi compatibility

Anyone used Litchi app with Inspire 2 ? Any problems ? I flew some pano shots with my Phantom 3 and it worked Ok but when I returned to P mode after completion it would not land. The drone would get within an inch of the ground but would not finish the landing. I had to do a csc to put it down . Lucky I did not break a carbon prop when it tipped over. Now I am not confident enough to risk my new Inspire 2.. Any help would build my confidence as I really like the app better then the Go4 software.

As of 06-06-2018, Litchi 4.6.1-a and 4.6.0-a and I think all Litchi versions cannot control the gimbal / camera because of a bug introduced in the latest firmware of the Inspire 2. I contacted [email protected] and they have informed me that both the IOS and Android versions have lost control of the gimbal / camera. They have informed DJI of the issue and now we have to wait until DJI seems fit to fix the issue. I have to use GO app Waypoints and Spotlight Pro now to try to do what I need done. The GO app Waypoints workflow introduces more time to setup and Spotlight Pro is not always reliable.

@jackbisson I too suspect that Spotlight Pro has been affected with this gimbal issue. This will be interesting to experience within the DJI family, to witness how much priority that DJI will put into fixing their flagship camera platform. One also wonders if this problem has affected the M2xx family as the same gimbal/camera payloads overlap. How many of us I2 owners will rollback the firmware to regain control of the camera ops.

From DJI Tony off the DJI forum....

Hi, I would suggest downloading our DJI Assistant 2 then restore factory defaults and refresh the inspire 2, please reboot your aircraft after doing the troubleshooting and re-calibrate the compass, IMU as well as the gimbal, kindly update us if the issue will persist. Please see the link below for you to download the DJI Assitant 2.
https://www.dji.com/inspire-2/info#downloads

From DJI Tony off the DJI forum....

Hi, I would suggest downloading our DJI Assistant 2 then restore factory defaults and refresh the inspire 2, please reboot your aircraft after doing the troubleshooting and re-calibrate the compass, IMU as well as the gimbal, kindly update us if the issue will persist. Please see the link below for you to download the DJI Assitant 2.
https://www.dji.com/inspire-2/info#downloads

I cannot go back to the version prior to the bug (.01. revs). When upgrading the firmware to the new revisions the process states you will not be able to go back to the (.01.) previous level. I am away from the Inspire 2 at the moment but I think I am at a rev with the .02. in the revision number. What a royal pain.

So are you saying that no Litchi version will control the gimbal with the latest Inspire update? Does that mean that as long as I don't update my Inspire I can continue to update Litchi?

Rather than hear it from me, send an email to [email protected] and they will respond to you. They told me that because of the Inspire 2 latest firmware update, their software can no longer control the gimbal. The first response they sent me said it was a bug in the DJI firmware; their second response said they (Litchi) are working on a fix and will release as soon as possible.

In case it helps anyone else, below is what I asked Litchi and the response I received.

Rob Holmes
Subject: Loss of Gimbal Control -- Inspire 2

JUN 10, 2018 | 01:56PM UTC
Original message
Rob wrote:

HI,

I understand from 'inspirepilots.com' threads that the latest Inspire 2
firmware disables gimbal control for all Litchi software versions. Is this
correct?
1) Does it affect all of your software?
2) Are there any ill effects for Mavic Pro?
3) What's the latest Inspire 2 version that will retain gimbal control?
4) Will that "still functioning" Inspire 2 version work for any version of
Litlchi? I'd like to keep gimbal control for Inspire 2 and also keep
updating Litchi for my Mavic Pro.

Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JUN 11, 2018 | 09:34AM UTC
Litchi replied:

Hi,

There is a known issue currently where gimbal control in Litchi does not work for Inspire 2 in flight modes where the gimbal mode is supposed to be in Yaw follow. For example in Waypoint mode, Panorama mode (with aircraft rotation only; gimbal rotation works), etc.
Mavic Pro or other drones aren’t affected. We don’t know where exactly the bug is, it could be in DJI’s latest Inspire 2 firmware (very likely) or in the DJI SDK. We have reported the issue to DJI. If you already updated to the latest Inspire 2 firmware (and assuming that’s where the bug is), it’s probably too late as I don’t think you can downgrade.

Kind Regards,
Litchi
Online help at Help - Litchi

In case it helps anyone else, below is what I asked Litchi and the response I received.

Rob Holmes
Subject:
Loss of Gimbal Control -- Inspire 2

JUN 10, 2018 | 01:56PM UTC
Original message
Rob wrote:

HI,

I understand from 'inspirepilots.com' threads that the latest Inspire 2
firmware disables gimbal control for all Litchi software versions. Is this
correct?
1) Does it affect all of your software?
2) Are there any ill effects for Mavic Pro?
3) What's the latest Inspire 2 version that will retain gimbal control?
4) Will that "still functioning" Inspire 2 version work for any version of
Litlchi? I'd like to keep gimbal control for Inspire 2 and also keep
updating Litchi for my Mavic Pro.

Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JUN 11, 2018 | 09:34AM UTC
Litchi replied:

Hi,

There is a known issue currently where gimbal control in Litchi does not work for Inspire 2 in flight modes where the gimbal mode is supposed to be in Yaw follow. For example in Waypoint mode, Panorama mode (with aircraft rotation only; gimbal rotation works), etc.
Mavic Pro or other drones aren’t affected. We don’t know where exactly the bug is, it could be in DJI’s latest Inspire 2 firmware (very likely) or in the DJI SDK. We have reported the issue to DJI. If you already updated to the latest Inspire 2 firmware (and assuming that’s where the bug is), it’s probably too late as I don’t think you can downgrade.

Kind Regards,
Litchi
Online help at Help - Litchi

Thank you Rob for posting the response. I have had no luck with both the Yaw Follow and Free mode. It just does not work. The Gimbal is basically no longer controlled by Litchi. I can manually control the gimbal in this state (waypoints), so hopefully my shoot tomorrow will not be so bad. I wish I could downgrade but the upgrade stated I could not back out from this upgrade. When I upgraded I did not have the job that is scheduled for tomorrow.

I wish I could downgrade
Is it not possible to return the Inspire 2 to the factory defaults like 'FlyaDrone' suggested above? Then you could start upgrading forward. I haven't read about it or tried to give my Inspire a lobotomy and start over. Does the latest upgrade that said you "could not go back" burn something into the firmware chip that is completely permanent?

Is it not possible to return the Inspire 2 to the factory defaults like 'FlyaDrone' suggested above? Then you could start upgrading forward. I haven't read about it or tried to give my Inspire a lobotomy and start over. Does the latest upgrade that said you "could not go back" burn something into the firmware chip that is completely permanent?

It states it when you are about to do the update that you will not be able to revert to a previous version. Not sure how they do their inplace firmware upgrades. I do not want to open up a fresh can of worms by trying to revert, there are too many pieces to revert: batteries, camera, AC. I can manage at the moment with Litchi waypoints and manual gimbal control. I was testing out Go 4 Waypoints with Spotlight Pro yesterday and it worked great, just hate having to fly and setup the waypoints in flight but at least it saves the mission.

I completely understand. Starting over is a time-consuming ordeal and often not worth the irritation of having to do with a few bugs. I'm going to continue to research it though. It would be good to know that in the event that everything was completely messed up you could, if you wanted to, start over with a fresh factory state no matter what updates you have performed.

It used to be in the computer world that if you were flashing a BIOS and something went wrong you ended up with a brick. That's been pretty much eliminated these days and it's much harder to brick a computer with a BIOS flash. Our aircraft are just computers with blades. I could be wrong but I don't think that firmware updates physically alter the hardware such that it can't be completely wiped and reset. Some more experienced users here might correct me on that. I'm going to see what I can find out and I'll report back just so we know.

I completely understand. Starting over is a time-consuming ordeal and often not worth the irritation of having to do with a few bugs. I'm going to continue to research it though. It would be good to know that in the event that everything was completely messed up you could, if you wanted to, start over with a fresh factory state no matter what updates you have performed.

It used to be in the computer world that if you were flashing a BIOS and something went wrong you ended up with a brick. That's been pretty much eliminated these days and it's much harder to brick a computer with a BIOS flash. Our aircraft are just computers with blades. I could be wrong but I don't think that firmware updates physically alter the hardware such that it can't be completely wiped and reset. Some more experienced users here might correct me on that. I'm going to see what I can find out and I'll report back just so we know.

Hi Rob thanks for your posts. I am going to put my other mount on for the iPad 2 mini and just give Ground Station Pro a try to see if I can get automated gimbal control back. Litchi got back to me today and said it was going to be later than sooner for a fix for this.

DJI Ground Station Pro is a not that good compared to Litchi. I am trying Autopilot as it looks feature rich and they have their own virtual flight controller. Hopefully this is less prone to operation faults than Litchi due to DJI Firmware updates.

Checking in here - 5 months since last post above.
I am looking to see where this stands with Inspire 2 and gimbal control.

Does anyone have any new information/feedback/experience using Litchi with Inspire 2 using all the latest firmware updates?

Thanks!

Checking in here - 5 months since last post above.
I am looking to see where this stands with Inspire 2 and gimbal control.

Does anyone have any new information/feedback/experience using Litchi with Inspire 2 using all the latest firmware updates?

Thanks!
Although I'm using Litchi with Inspire 2 for one and only task (360 spherical panorama shooting), the app is controlling gimbal with no issue. This is Android version installed on CrystalSky. All up to date (Dec 2018).

This was back in 2018... any updates... frustrated that there isn't more info out there on it... came across this thread by chance...
Reason we invested in the I2 was the 360º gimbal... felt for sure Litchi, which we do most of our inspections with, would take advantage of this and keep the bird on a steady heading while yawing the camera... dont get me started on crystal skies or the new DJI Fly ap... - ALOHA

This was back in 2018... any updates... frustrated that there isn't more info out there on it... came across this thread by chance...
Reason we invested in the I2 was the 360º gimbal... felt for sure Litchi, which we do most of our inspections with, would take advantage of this and keep the bird on a steady heading while yawing the camera... dont get me started on crystal skies or the new DJI Fly ap... - ALOHA
I'm not sure I understand ... What's the issue? My Inspire 2 is shooting panorama under Litchi control on any device (iOS or Android, iPad or CrystalSky) with NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER and with ROTATING GIMBAL ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla