Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Camera options

Reaction score
I am no expert when it comes to camera specs. Based on the available information, can anyone venture a guess on the quality of the new cameras? I use an X5 for ag mapping and my client would love the extra MP. Most of the information available pertains to the video capabilities and not the still photos. Would the X4s be an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Probably minor, little less noise and that's it. Doubt 16->20MP makes any difference either when you're stitching/processing shots anyway.

Can someone enlighten me please? If I don't purchase the Dng or Prores options, what codec does it use? Is it still 100Mbs? Are these options only for raw?

They mentioned that the dynamic range has improved also. I thought they said the X4S had 2 stops less range than the X5S. Uncertain though.

Don't know what the new image processor in the nose will do for image quality. It must be doing something better from the earlier versions. Have to wait until they show up and reviews come out to see.

From the limited footage I have seen there is massive improvements, the GOP flickering in low light is almost none existent as it he moir.

Will have to wait for production units but both the P4P and I2 cameras offer some major improvements over the last generation.

100mbps will go a long way and 1080p has 80mbps now as well I believe.

Improvements from both cameras, X3 and X5, are huge.

Talk about future proof. I will however get the P4P with the X4S as I cannot justify the price point of the Inspire X5S and that amount of money hanging in the air in my current situation, but for those that can, it is a very solid product. The ability to tailor your needs with licenses, the different workflows, with battery redundancy and from what appears to be a camera in class with the upcoming GH5 in terms of optics and sensor, and even better recording capabilities, is outstanding. Coupled with a better build quality as opposed to X5/X5R.

I expect a kind of Ronin-Mini for the X5S in the future.

Can someone enlighten me please? If I don't purchase the Dng or Prores options, what codec does it use? Is it still 100Mbs? Are these options only for raw?
I have seen numerous references to "4K H.264 at 100 Mb/s", but they have always been in reference to 60 FPS.
That of course is equivalent in quality to 30 FPS at 50 Mb/s. Which is even less than the 60 Mb/s we had on the X5.

I hope I'm wrong; if this thing is capable of producing ProRes footage, it should be able to handle H.264 at 100 Mb/s at the lower frame rates.

But I haven't yet found a detailed camera specs page.

Edit: Still can't find a specs page, but on the overview page:
The new CineCore 2.0 image processing system on the Inspire 2 makes the Zenmuse X5S capable of capturing 5.2K 30fps CinemaDNG video and Apple ProRes video as well as 4K 60fps using H.264 and 4K 30fps using H.265 (both at 100Mbps).

So for the MicroSD card, it looks like the options are:
  • 4K at 60 FPS: H.264 codec at 100 Mb/s
  • 4K at 30 FPS: H.265 codec at 100 Mb/s
The former doesn't seem so great; in order to get the 60 FPS frame rate, you have to sacrifice a lot in bit rate.

The latter seems better; the H.265 codec is considered an advance over H.264, and has better compression. So the 100 MB/s H.265 codec should be even better than a 100 MB/s H.264 codec would be.

Last edited:
I have seen numerous references to "4K H.264 at 100 Mb/s", but they have always been in reference to 60 FPS.
That of course is equivalent in quality to 30 FPS at 50 Mb/s. Which is even less than the 60 Mb/s we had on the X5.

I hope I'm wrong; if this thing is capable of producing ProRes footage, it should be able to handle H.264 at 100 Mb/s at the lower frame rates.

But I haven't yet found a detailed camera specs page.

Edit: Still can't find a specs page, but on the overview page:

So for the MicroSD card, it looks like the options are:
  • 4K at 60 FPS: H.264 codec at 100 Mb/s
  • 4K at 30 FPS: H.265 codec at 100 Mb/s
The former doesn't seem so great; in order to get the 60 FPS frame rate, you have to sacrifice a lot in bit rate.

The latter seems better; the H.265 codec is considered an advance over H.264, and has better compression. So the 100 MB/s H.265 codec should be even better than a 100 MB/s H.264 codec would be.
I am wondering what MicroSD cards are able to handle 100mb/s write speed out there, so far I couldn´t find any over 96mb/s.

I think you might be confusing megabytes with megabits here.

MicroSD card speeds are usually reported in "megabytes per second". For example, this MicroSD card roundup reports that the fastest Sandisk MicroSD cards can write sequentially at 87 megabytes/second. You have to multiply that times 8 to get megabits/second, so these cards can write at about 700 megabits/second, which is far faster than this codec needs.

Even the slowest MicroSD cards were tested at speeds to 20 megabytes/second, which is 160 megabits/second.

ok so Is it possible that the X4S is almoust so good like X5 was on Inspire 1 ?
I think it's safe to assume that the X4S will be noticeably better than the X3, due to its larger sensor and better codec.

But I don't think it will be within range of the X5, because the X5 has a much larger sensor, and much better lenses.

Still, it's pretty amazing what the "lesser" cameras can do these days, compared to the crap we were flying just three years ago.

I think you might be confusing megabytes with megabits here.

MicroSD card speeds are usually reported in "megabytes per second". For example, this MicroSD card roundup reports that the fastest Sandisk MicroSD cards can write sequentially at 87 megabytes/second. You have to multiply that times 8 to get megabits/second, so these cards can write at about 700 megabits/second, which is far faster than this codec needs.

Even the slowest MicroSD cards were tested at speeds to 20 megabytes/second, which is 160 megabits/second.
Yes, you´re absolutely right. No idea how I did not pay attention to that as I am aware of the difference, but just didn´t remember to put that in consideration! Thanks for clarifying!

On the X5S info page:
H.264

23.976/24/25/29.97/47.95/50/59.94p @100Mbps
This says it uses the 100Mb/s bit rate for all 4K frame rates, from 24FPS through to 60 FPS.

So the 24/25/30 FPS compression should be pretty good, while the 48/50/60 FPS compression should be pretty mediocre.

But listen to me, complaining about the bit rate on 4K resolution at 60 FPS on a flying camera. These specs are pretty unbelievable; I just wish that those higher frame rates supported 200 MB/s bit rates!

The BIG this here is H.265 as this should resolve all of the flickering and Moir complains from the passed around the P and B frame issues .

H.264 was never designed for 4K and was conceived for 1080p only.

The 4K 30fps H.265 should be a massive step forward.

The BIG this here is H.265 as this should resolve all of the flickering and Moir complains from the passed around the P and B frame issues .

H.264 was never designed for 4K and was conceived for 1080p only.

The 4K 30fps H.265 should be a massive step forward.

Yes but then think of all the moaning because people won't understand why their 30 year old Sinclair ZX81 won't play H265 video. Or their NLE won't support it or they won't understand how to download and install a new codec or.....:rolleyes:

Yes but then think of all the moaning because people won't understand why their 30 year old Sinclair ZX81 won't play H265 video. Or their NLE won't support it or they won't understand how to download and install a new codec or.....:rolleyes:

I'm angry because they have not made this new codec backwards compatible with the I1 cameras, they have screwed early adopters again [emoji6]

I'm angry because they have not made this new codec backwards compatible with the I1 cameras, they have screwed early adopters again [emoji6]

Hmmmm......there shouldn't be any reason why they can't just scrap H264 for X3/X5's and and load up H265 with a firmware push except for the fact that the CPU will be pushed harder and it's pretty much throttled to exploding anyway.
Although the resultant files would be smaller, encoding times would increase slightly so it just may not be possible on existing platforms.

Hmmmm......there shouldn't be any reason why they can't just scrap H264 for X3/X5's and and load up H265 with a firmware push except for the fact that the CPU will be pushed harder and it's pretty much throttled to exploding anyway.
Although the resultant files would be smaller, encoding times would increase slightly so it just may not be possible on existing platforms.

I want my new H.265 codec
I want X4S and X5S backwards compatibility with I1
I want fw update to give me OE, Smart RTH and Duel batteries.

I want retribution if I can't have these features on my 2 year old model by end of today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide