Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 motor age

Reaction score
I have detected intermittent differences in the feeling and sound when hand turning the motors after about 8 months of use. There are no known flight problems but I am wondering how much magnetic "clicking" (not a clicking sound but a feeling of resistance from the internal magnets) one should feel when hand turning the Inspire 2 motors. I recently bought a second Inspire 2 and the motors turn very smoothly by hand compared to the older aircraft. Did DJI change the motor design? Is the magnetic "click" feeling normal, and does it change over time as the motors age with use?

Same thing here, I've had my Inspire since 2017 and have started to notice a difference in one of the rotors more than others. Took it into New Zealand's version of a DJI store (Ferntech) and they were surprised I'd even raised it as an issue. Interesting to hear someone else voicing concern about this... Anyone had the same thing?

Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about, but I have had to deal with a similar issue from the day I got my I2 a number of years ago. Totally frustrated until I figured it out. It does not make sense, but it relates to the seating of the props. If they are not on firmly, and have a bit of wobble, then the motor seems to spin weird. Kind of like the magnets are grabbing it. I simply took the props and put a bit of padding (scotch tape, etc) into the tab part of the prop to make a tighter connection (sometimes have to push down hard when putting it back on). Once the prop is on snug, then the motor(s) spin perfect. I always make sure that the spin is solid and good to avoid any possibility of adverse wear on them. Not sure if this is your deal, but it sure works for me.

Reactions: kermasdf
You should frequently clean the motors from dust build up, either vacuum cleaner or dust blower will do the job. Also if you check the motors after a recent shutdown keep in mind that there may still be some electromagnetic resistance left that feels just like it's harder to turn by hand than usual. Also you may try to fly with new pair of props to see if there is a difference in how they sound. If there is no difference with the new ones then the problem is related to the motor itself or the prop mount mechanics.

Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about

It certainly has nothing to do with the topic very well described by grangecam...
The solution you have adopted for the propellers on the motors works, however it is a compromise solution, quick and easy, me too had adopted already years ago, I tell you my input even if it's an off topic here.

The fact remains unresolved at the origin, the quick DJI couplings are far from perfect, to use a gentle definition and not only for this reason.
For me it's unacceptable. Happens that the plastic resin of the props with its elastic structure quickly wear out a bit, already after the first flight.
The backlash starts between the motor clamp and the propeller. You can also hear in flight how irregular the noise emitted becomes, with the flight controller continuously trying to compensate for this.

I have definitively solved this unacceptable defect removing the DJI quick clamp and installing CF propellers. I had tried first with T-Motor folding, specific for Inspire 2, but I must say that, apart from the convenience of not having to disassemble them each time to put the aircraft in its DJI suitcase (modified/internally enlarged), the precarious and inconstant noise they produced in flight (dozens flights with these propellers) I did not like at all, in the end it was even worse than with the DJI props, so I installed non-folding T-Motor props and it flies perfectly, they fly perfectly, three Inspire 2.

I have tried CF 15×5.5 propellers of 3 or 4 manufacturers, testing them previously on the bench with an original 3512 DJI motor, to verify their efficiency, the thrust with the same current absorption and, I can confirm, they are the best and can give 1 or 2 minutes of more flight time with them.
However DJI obviously do not like other people modify their products and here and there try to obstacle these practices. Here using non-standard distance from the two holes for the props on the motors, 13mm, instead of the standard 12mm.
Need an adapter.

I have detected intermittent differences in the feeling and sound when hand turning the motors after about 8 months of use. There are no known flight problems but I am wondering how much magnetic "clicking" (not a clicking sound but a feeling of resistance from the internal magnets) one should feel when hand turning the Inspire 2 motors. I recently bought a second Inspire 2 and the motors turn very smoothly by hand compared to the older aircraft. Did DJI change the motor design? Is the magnetic "click" feeling normal, and does it change over time as the motors age with use?

Also me, have noticed what you describe, but not on my Inspire 2 motors which are all perfect and regular to date, but on other larger brushless motors.
I have many of various brands to mount on various larger frames.
I had the adventure of owning and testing 4014-330KV AVIZAR motors, which boast ceramic bearings, for an SkyHero Spyder 850 X8.
Terrible experience, mine units are/was badly made.
Received about 20 pcs (already installed and others new unassembled) and almost all of them had an abnormal, rough, absolutely not smooth behavior rotating them with fingers, just the opposite of what AVIZAR website boasts: "You can feel the difference just by turning them, and hear the difference on the run!"
Emailed to AVIZAR describing the facts and in the end I obtained the replacement of the motors through the official European seller and drone assembler, eRCMARKET who had mounted the octocopter for me, without noticing the problem, or rather, I say, their engineer had ignored, had pretended to not notice it!

After my complaint and shipping back four of the worst motors I had received, 2 units dismantled from the drone and 2 I had purchased from an UK Ebay seller, the customer manager of eRCMARKET had simply replayed me there was a batch of defective motors which was then retired from the market.
Too bad that among these defective motors there were also those mounted by their clever engineer on my octocopter!
I have received the full replacement of all the AVIZAR motors (without sending back all the motors I still have) with 4014-330KV by T-Motor.

Short additional note:
AVIZAR staff complained these T-Motors are the copy of their motors, having the same specs and they have removed these specs from their site, as disperated pointless protection...

At the end, still to me is not clear, noone said this to me, what generate these anomalies, these big different behaviors, so the necessary forces you notice to rotate some motors, but I don't like and suppose there are out of tolerances, if new, or mechanical wear, when this happens after use.
Maybe different power of the magnets, as well as ball bearing tollerances could be the heart of this issue.
Very small, or small variance can, or cannot be aceppted.

To Claudio, with all due respect, my response was not off topic. From the time I got my I2, I was convinced that the motors were bad. Then I started reading about how the early DJI props (red ones) were poorly made and not able to be seated firmly. I still have issues but have everything running OK by adding some tape, etc to tighten the props on to the motors. My I1 has zero issues. I almost scrapped the I2 prop setup and went with carbon to simply dump what I consider inferior props. The motors are bomb proof. I fly in hot conditions and as low as -25F with zero issues. I have yet to hear of any failures......

FYI, I2 motors are $60 USD and easy to change if you determine you need do so. Create a time limit whether it be calendar or flight time like manned aircraft do. It is up to YOU the operator to set your own parameters. Be proactive.

FYI, I2 motors are $60 USD and easy to change if you determine you need do so. Create a time limit whether it be calendar or flight time like manned aircraft do. It is up to YOU the operator to set your own parameters. Be proactive.

100% agree.

To Claudio, with all due respect, my response was not off topic. From the time I got my I2, I was convinced that the motors were bad. Then I started reading about how the early DJI props (red ones) were poorly made and not able to be seated firmly. I still have issues but have everything running OK by adding some tape, etc to tighten the props on to the motors. My I1 has zero issues. I almost scrapped the I2 prop setup and went with carbon to simply dump what I consider inferior props. The motors are bomb proof. I fly in hot conditions and as low as -25F with zero issues. I have yet to hear of any failures......
Well, good for you, but seems you still didn't grasp the meaning of what is the actual point decribed, I repeat, well described, by grangecam that has aked for a suggestion on what to do.
Another argument, not the one you have had, and almost all, if not all, have or have had, me included.

READ THIS BEFORE

Guide to remove this F... screws:

FIRST: Respond this question:

[Why are you trying to remove this?]

Think about it and create a list of expenses and if it's worth .

*Duration: ~1h30

In my case was because I had already bought XOAR CF props with the mounting plates ($240).

*Be ready to buy 1 or 2 new motors (I spent $230 on a set, CW and CCW after broke 2 of 4 doing this, with extremely carefully )

*Be ready to spend like $50 on tools and torx t8h micro bit , good brands please (you will need more than 4 of it, trust me spend on quality)

*Be ready to burn original mounting plates (4/4).

STEPS:

1. Soldering iron [15-20sec per screw and depends on the screw you will have to repeat this once or maybe twice, sometimes you will see smoke]

2. USE TORX T8H AND A LOT OF STRENGHT try to not break the tip of the screw, that's why I said buy more than 4.

3. If you see no process, loosen and tighten until you see some result

4. Remember make sure that [NO] pieces of metal fall into the engine, maybe you will see some rest of dry loctite inside it's normal, just be sure you follow the next step carefully.

5. If you note the motor begins to make noises when turning not matter if it's smooth or louder, sorry to say this buddy but you will have to replace it.

Attachments

• 20221123_221659.jpg
    20221123_221659.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry