Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 + top mounted X7

Reaction score
Website
www.skycam.ee
We thought it might be a good alternative to "cinelifter" and with very little modifications we've got it flying and filming :)

You will need original Matrice 200 "camera top mount" piece from DJI to make it work

Reactions: js47 and SethB
We thought it might be a good alternative to "cinelifter" and with very little modifications we've got it flying and filming :)

You will need original Matrice 200 "camera top mount" piece from DJI to make it work

I appreciate what you are doing, but it seems like you're kind of reinventing the wheel. All the mods you are making to your Inspire 2 are stock on the Inspire 3 - the huge difference being the Inspire 3's range is much better. At the end of the day, "range" is going to be the bottleneck on your rig because expectations have now been raised, which means clients will expect you to shoot 1/2 mile away around a building or through the woods or under a bridge with a usable video feed to the DP. All those features and capabilities are baked into the Inspire 3. YouTuber Trent Palmer did a couple good videos on the subject. He is a professional drone pilot in the film industry.

I'm the last guy to discourage drone modifications. If you're doing this for phun, then more power to you. But if you're doing this to compete in the film industry....

Best of luck.

D

I appreciate what you are doing, but it seems like you're kind of reinventing the wheel. All the mods you are making to your Inspire 2 are stock on the Inspire 3 - the huge difference being the Inspire 3's range is much better. At the end of the day, "range" is going to be the bottleneck on your rig because expectations have now been raised, which means clients will expect you to shoot 1/2 mile away around a building or through the woods or under a bridge with a usable video feed to the DP. All those features and capabilities are baked into the Inspire 3. YouTuber Trent Palmer did a couple good videos on the subject. He is a professional drone pilot in the film industry.

I'm the last guy to discourage drone modifications. If you're doing this for phun, then more power to you. But if you're doing this to compete in the film industry....

Best of luck.

D
The only reason I'm doing this "hardware" stuff is because I'm in the film industry for over 10 years now. I do own Inspire 3, we also fly big drones like Alta with "proper" cinema cameras - I know very well what and why I'm doing :) And most of the stuff we do because we need it or at least want to test out the possibility to see whether there is some type of advantage we can get. I'm happy you found Trenton's videos for yourself - I must admit I stopped listening to anything drone-related he has to say after he made that "DJI Pro vs Real Professional Cinema Drone" video - which was nicely done as every video he makes, but revealed that he's just a drone pilot. I'm absolutely sure he IS amazing pilot, but it's just a pilot and that's really not enough to discuss cameras etc... :)

1. You would not be able to do this type of shots with Inspire 3 - it has limited "sky visibility", only about 80deg upwards when drone is _not_ flying forward full speed. Same type of "full sky visibility" shots are possible to do on Alta - you can mount gimbal on top of it and then achieve same type of control, but NOT on stock Inspire 2 nor 3.

2. While you're suggesting you're "not discouraging" I'm finding myself explaining very basic stuff to you for the second time. Sure thing - as with every tool - there are limitations to each and every gimbal, camera, drone etc but I find it somewhat weird that you're choosing to comment on things you're not dealing with on a daily basis? :)

I'm doing this stuff (would it be better batteries, top mount for camera, better FPV feed or any other thing we've got coming up) to expand my possibilities as a service provider and actual DP's who've seen these shots are quite excited.

Reason I'm sharing in this particular group is because feedback from industry professionals so far was very encouraging and there might be real benefit for some people who perhaps want to invest a little time and money and create something very different visually with their existing drones.

The only reason I'm doing this "hardware" stuff is because I'm in the film industry for over 10 years now. I do own Inspire 3, we also fly big drones like Alta with "proper" cinema cameras - I know very well what and why I'm doing :) And most of the stuff we do because we need it or at least want to test out the possibility to see whether there is some type of advantage we can get. I'm happy you found Trenton's videos for yourself - I must admit I stopped listening to anything drone-related he has to say after he made that "DJI Pro vs Real Professional Cinema Drone" video - which was nicely done as every video he makes, but revealed that he's just a drone pilot. I'm absolutely sure he IS amazing pilot, but it's just a pilot and that's really not enough to discuss cameras etc... :)

1. You would not be able to do this type of shots with Inspire 3 - it has limited "sky visibility", only about 80deg upwards when drone is _not_ flying forward full speed. Same type of "full sky visibility" shots are possible to do on Alta - you can mount gimbal on top of it and then achieve same type of control, but NOT on stock Inspire 2 nor 3.

2. While you're suggesting you're "not discouraging" I'm finding myself explaining very basic stuff to you for the second time. Sure thing - as with every tool - there are limitations to each and every gimbal, camera, drone etc but I find it somewhat weird that you're choosing to comment on things you're not dealing with on a daily basis? :)

I'm doing this stuff (would it be better batteries, top mount for camera, better FPV feed or any other thing we've got coming up) to expand my possibilities as a service provider and actual DP's who've seen these shots are quite excited.

Reason I'm sharing in this particular group is because feedback from industry professionals so far was very encouraging and there might be real benefit for some people who perhaps want to invest a little time and money and create something very different visually with their existing drones.
I was an aerial camera op in the film industry for 2 years. My most "famous" work can be seen in the Longmire series. As a non-Union camera op, me and my PIC didn't get film credits. So don't look for them. I got out of that industry for more lucrative drone endeavors. Now I make "film industry money" without having to stay on set for 10-12 hours. Now I earn "film industry money" in 3 or 4 hours. So...enough with the pissing contest.

I have no dog in your drone fight. I was just saying that, as a guy who has BEEN THERE, your Inspire 2 modifications are reinventing the wheel. The Alta does the bottom up shots perfectly - and with a better camera. So you don't NEED the Inspire 2 for that. The Inspire 3 has the increased battery capacity. So you don't need the Inspire 2 for that.

Your condescending "explanations" explain nothing. 100 out of 100 drone pilots surveyed agreed that modifying an Inspire 2 to that which your Inspire 3 and Alta ALREADY DO is a complete waste of time....UNLESS...as I said, you're doing it for phun.

And this doesn't even take into account the new generation of "Cinewoops" that have all but made pedestrian drone shots old hat. But that's another discussion for another day.

To really bring this home...

Not a single production company on the planet is going to hire you or your company because your Inspire 2 has a top-mounted camera or cobbled-together battery modification. Quite the opposite; the Inspire 3 and Alta will meet contract riders. THOSE are why you will get work.

And I don't think I have to tell you that the first time they have to do a retake (especially if you're doing Unit 1 work) because something on the cobbled-together Inspire 2 fails, your company will be flagged and the event will spread throughout the industry like wild fire. Are you really willing to put all the eggs of your entire production company in that basket?

When industry standard equipment fails (like the Inspire 3 or the Alta), some latitude is given. When cobbled-together one-off "inventions" fail, that's a big strike. But that is your call, my friend. Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Thanx for the explanation and education.

D

Last edited:
I was an aerial camera op in the film industry for 2 years. My most "famous" work can be seen in the Longmire series. As a non-Union camera op, me and my PIC didn't get film credits. So don't look for them. I got out of that industry for more lucrative drone endeavors. Now I make "film industry money" without having to stay on set for 10-12 hours. Now I earn "film industry money" in 3 or 4 hours. So...enough with the pissing contest.

I have no dog in your drone fight. I was just saying that, as a guy who has BEEN THERE, your Inspire 2 modifications are reinventing the wheel. The Alta does the bottom up shots perfectly - and with a better camera. So you don't NEED the Inspire 2 for that. The Inspire 3 has the increased battery capacity. So you don't need the Inspire 2 for that.

Your condescending "explanations" explain nothing. 100 out of 100 drone pilots surveyed agreed that modifying an Inspire 2 to that which your Inspire 3 and Alta ALREADY DO is a complete waste of time....UNLESS...as I said, you're doing it for phun.

To really bring this home...

Not a single production company on the planet is going to hire you or your company because your Inspire 2 has a top-mounted camera or cobbled-together battery modification. Quite the opposite; the Inspire 3 and Alta will meet contract riders. THOSE are why you will get work.

And I don't think I have to tell you that the first time they have to do a retake because something on the cobbled-together Inspire 2 fails, your company will be flagged and the event will spread throughout the industry like wild fire. Are you really willing to put all the eggs of your entire production company in that basket? When industry standard equipment fails (like the Inspire 3 or the Alta), some latitude is given. When cobbled-together one-off "inventions" fail, that's a big strike. But that is your call, my friend.

Thanx for the explanation and education.

D

While I admire your self-awareness (you clearly realise that you don't understand why we've "invented" some things) I also find it surprising that you still find courage to try to explain to me how to run my business :) Do you understand that your couple of times on set do not qualify you for lecturing anyone one how to run a business? :D

I will repeat myself:
".. as with every tool - there are limitations to each and every gimbal, camera, drone etc but I find it somewhat weird that you're choosing to comment on things you're not dealing with on a daily basis"

Every drone company has more than just one "breed" of a drone specifically because you never know what and why DP or director will ask. And expanding technical possibilities is what every company does. Even you - with your obviously limited film industry experience - probably realise that not every film budget is the same, not every film is Hollywood blockbuster and flying small drone (inspire 2 + X7) is obviously much cheaper than Alta with Arri LF. In context of current discussion "inventing" something that could be done on a very low budget is indeed "inventing" - not to mention the fact that there are tons of places where you are allowed to fly Inspire and NOT allowed to fly Alta..

Reactions: SethB
While I admire your self-awareness (you clearly realise that you don't understand why we've "invented" some things) I also find it surprising that you still find courage to try to explain to me how to run my business :) Do you understand that your couple of times on set do not qualify you for lecturing anyone one how to run a business? :D

I will repeat myself:
".. as with every tool - there are limitations to each and every gimbal, camera, drone etc but I find it somewhat weird that you're choosing to comment on things you're not dealing with on a daily basis"

Every drone company has more than just one "breed" of a drone specifically because you never know what and why DP or director will ask. And expanding technical possibilities is what every company does. Even you - with your obviously limited film industry experience - probably realise that not every film budget is the same, not every film is Hollywood blockbuster and flying small drone (inspire 2 + X7) is obviously much cheaper than Alta with Arri LF. In context of current discussion "inventing" something that could be done on a very low budget is indeed "inventing" - not to mention the fact that there are tons of places where you are allowed to fly Inspire and NOT allowed to fly Alta..
Ahhhhh....low budget productions. Okay...there's our disconnect and my "ignorance" as you eluded to. Touché. I concede that you are absolutely correct that for low-budget indie films the modified Inspire 2 may be a better choice. We/I didn't really do those. We always flew on closed sets. Maybe they don't do that in the Scandinavian/Nordic nations. So "not allowed to fly" was never an issue. We used whichever bird we needed to get the job done. So there's our other disconnect.

Our lowest budget productions were documentaries. And even those were well-budgeted. So, yes, I'm completely ignorant in the ways of low-budget indie films on open sets. I concede.

See? My ego isn't so big that I can't admit when I was wrong or ignorant.

And, FWIW, I live in a film industry hub city/state. 2 years of drone work here is probably equivalent to 10 years in any of the Scandinavian/Nordic markets. Ergo, I was on set more than "a couple times." Hopefully, this finally ends the pissing contest you seem so fond of.

As always, best of luck.

D

Last edited:
Ahhhhh....low budget productions. Okay...there's our disconnect and my "ignorance" as you eluded to. Touché. I concede that you are absolutely correct that for low-budget indie films the modified Inspire 2 may be a better choice. We/I didn't really do those. We always flew on closed sets. Maybe they don't do that in the Scandinavian/Nordic nations. So "not allowed to fly" was never an issue. We used which ever bird we needed to get the job done. So there's our other disconnect.

Our lowest budget productions were documentaries. And even those were well-budgeted. So, yes, I'm completely ignorant in the ways of low-budget indie films on open sets. I concede.

See? My ego isn't so big that I can't admit when I was wrong or ignorant.

And, FWIW, I live in a film industry hub city/state. 2 years of drone work here is probably equivalent to 10 years in any of the Scandinavian/Nordic markets. Ergo, I was on set more than "a couple times." Hopefully, this finally ends the pissing contest you seem so fond of.

As always, best of luck.

D
Well I'm glad our conversation provided you with little revelation that indeed some films have low budgets... Also, did you know that we use Euros instead of dollars here in Europe? I know - it's MINDBLOWING! :oops::eek:

😄

Well I'm glad our conversation provided you with little revelation that indeed some films have low budgets... Also, did you know that we use Euros instead of dollars here in Europe? I know - it's MINDBLOWING! :oops::eek:

😄
I was actually in Europe (all over Europe) when they were changing over to the Euro (2001ish???). Consequently, I saved a bunch of different currencies from Italy, Germany, Greece, France and on and on. I also collected currencies from the Middle East and parts of Asia. Good times. Another conversation for another time.

Glad we found common ground.

D

To me it looks great. Well done.

In my opinion there are no superior markets in videography and cinematography, which also applies to aerial work. There are low, mid, and high markets with dayrates, gear, and formats to match.

I really respect those who are exploring different ways to make things work!

This project is really well done, showing some things we haven’t seen before at a low-mid price point.

I don’t see the value of comparisons to true heavy lifters with high-market cinematography cameras. The OP’s approach meets different needs.

😄
Finally got around to breaking this out...

This represents < 5% of my pre-Euro currency collection.

1698595990315.jpeg

D

Can I see a picture of the rig?

Very cool. I could see that coming in handy when you need more the 80 from the I3.
It's even more about freedom of camera movement, not that much the angle itself .. I can't can't look up and then start looking behind on I3, that's sort of movements you can only have on gimbaled cinelifters.

But yeah, it's handy tool in our toolbox :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu