Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Unable to take off when magnetic interference.

Reaction score
Last week i was shooting on a ship so there is magnetic interference. i do try to goes around to find a better spot but no luck everywhere show magnetic interferences. causing me unable to take off event i switch to (ATTI mode).
luckly i bring along my trusty old inspire 1 and a phantom 4 ( Both does show interferences error) i able to fly and get back safety .. the interferences goes away when i am 30 meter above air.. i wondering is all inspire 2 have the same problem with me ?

any reply in this would be highly appricated

Reactions: nandoarr
Same problem tho, but i do the "dance" of the compass calibration and everything comes back working fine. What you could do to prevent the compass error, is take off from you hand but you gotta have experience in flying cause is dangerous.

When i rise the drone still compass error.. Same goes with my i1.. I endout flying with i1

Reactions: nandoarr
When i rise the drone still compass error.. Same goes with my i1.. I endout flying with i1
Try to calibrate the compass everytime you get to a place where it may have dense metal or big rocks, get off clocks, celphone and other thing that you think it has magnetic emission. I know it seems a little bit too much, but it worth a try.

I know that the drones didn't have this issue before, but we must adapt to them.

Calibration always saved me. Let me know what have you done

cheers!

Thanks for the reply.. The problem is the place i flying will always introduce magnetic interference.. Doesn't matter where you do calibration. Goes there will be the same again.. So i wonder why my i2 can't take off with magnetic interference.. While my p4 and i1 can..

The I2 certainly used to be able to take off with compass interference but maybe the latest FW update has changed that?

Yes that is one of my concern..

Cant event takeoff when interference error.. Because 80% of the time i flying at industrial area.. So most of the day i will encounter interference error.. Untill last fly.. I unable to take off like it used to... I knw it may be a safety future. But because of this i can't use my i2.. Duhhhh.

Yes that is one of my concern..

Cant event takeoff when interference error.. Because 80% of the time i flying at industrial area.. So most of the day i will encounter interference error.. Untill last fly.. I unable to take off like it used to... I knw it may be a safety future. But because of this i can't use my i2.. Duhhhh.
High interference environments is what the M200 RTK system is for. It may be expensive but it is the right tool for the job. Maybe the P4 RTK would work also.

High interference environments is what the M200 RTK system is for. It may be expensive but it is the right tool for the job. Maybe the P4 RTK would work also.

So I guess what you are saying is that DJI have felt they needed dumb down the previously fine I2 to push sales towards the M200?

That doesn’t work for me as the M200 can’t take the X5S or X7 ... so it’s not really suitable for video production.

So I guess what you are saying is that DJI have felt they needed dumb down the previously fine I2 to push sales towards the M200?

That doesn’t work for me as the M200 can’t take the X5S or X7 ... so it’s not really suitable for video production.
I feel your pain. We lost an I2/X7 combo to compass drift in a city canyon in San Francisco. I was pretty bad. Luckily all was done with permits, road closures and police so no one was hurt. We also have no good option to carry the X7 in those situations. I do believe the M200 can carry an X5 though, but that’s not near good enough for us. Our crash was in ATTI mode which surprised the heck out of me.

I feel your pain. We lost an I2/X7 combo to compass drift in a city canyon in San Francisco. I was pretty bad. Luckily all was done with permits, road closures and police so no one was hurt. We also have no good option to carry the X7 in those situations. I do believe the M200 can carry an X5 though, but that’s not near good enough for us. Our crash was in ATTI mode which surprised the heck out of me.

I2 & X7 lost in one shot, ouch!

Our main requirement is to be able to launch with compass error when taking off from the deck of a vessel at sea. Compass error in close proximity to the deck is the norm but soon clears once we are up 10 feet or so. Hopefully we will find a way around the new restriction or we will need to move away from DJI kit ...

I2 & X7 lost in one shot, ouch!

Our main requirement is to be able to launch with compass error when taking off from the deck of a vessel at sea. Compass error in close proximity to the deck is the norm but soon clears once we are up 10 feet or so. Hopefully we will find a way around the new restriction or we will need to move away from DJI kit ...

Fortunately we had DJI Care.

Reactions: MrTVR
Our main requirement is to be able to launch with compass error when taking off from the deck of a vessel at sea
Yes, this has become very frustrating for me too. And the last thing I want to try to do is calibrate the compass to compensate for the metal mass of the ship, as I need the compass to work properly while the I2 is in the air, not while its on board. I have worked around this problem very awkwardly....by operating from a small zodiac or fiberglass utility outboard that the larger vessel carried. These craft were too small for take off and landing from their decks, so I had an assistant do hand release and catch. We use the secraft handgrips, and have practiced this many times both on land and then at sea, to help mitigate the danger. And we will only do it in calm seas when the main vessel is not under way or moving slow enough that we can comfortably stop the small boat during takeoff and landing, and still catch up to get back on board. Far from ideal but it has worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTVR
Yes, this has become very frustrating for me too. And the last thing I want to try to do is calibrate the compass to compensate for the metal mass of the ship, as I need the compass to work properly while the I2 is in the air, not while its on board. I have worked around this problem very awkwardly....by operating from a small zodiac or fiberglass utility outboard that the larger vessel carried. These craft were too small for take off and landing from their decks, so I had an assistant do hand release and catch. We use the dji handgrips, and have practiced this many times both on land and then at sea, to help mitigate the danger. And we will only do it in calm seas when the main vessel is not under way or moving slow enough that we can comfortably stop the small boat during takeoff and landing, and still catch up to get back on board. Far from ideal but it has worked.
I've also noticed this on the latest.0300 FW. But I did not try to take off after the warning appeared. Instead I tried to change the spot for take off and it worked so far. The numerous attempts of compass calibrations failed due to the "strong magnetic interference" prompting the warning in the first place. TBH I did not want to even try to take off worrying of what might happen. But now knowing that take off is actually not possible is troubling...

I’ve had the same issue while trying to takeoff from within a huge drydock. To solve the problem I got off onto the pier onto the blacktop and took off. The guys wanted a group shot with the drone so what I did was find a piece of plywood that was nearby and take off from that. I’ve been told from a dealer that you could takeoff from on top of the case and that should be enough to insule the craft from the metal surface.

I’ve had the same issue while trying to takeoff from within a huge drydock. To solve the problem I got off onto the pier onto the blacktop and took off. The guys wanted a group shot with the drone so what I did was find a piece of plywood that was nearby and take off from that. I’ve been told from a dealer that you could takeoff from on top of the case and that should be enough to insule the craft from the metal surface.
I got this warning once when trying to take of from a grassy park, no idea why and second time when trying to take off from a concrete deck with I assume lots of reinforced steel inside?? First time I just moved the craft about 5 m further and that was enough to satisfy the compass. Second time I had to go to a completely new spot away from that deck. The warning would not go away while the craft was on that deck..

Last week i was shooting on a ship so there is magnetic interference. i do try to goes around to find a better spot but no luck everywhere show magnetic interferences. causing me unable to take off event i switch to (ATTI mode).
luckly i bring along my trusty old inspire 1 and a phantom 4 ( Both does show interferences error) i able to fly and get back safety .. the interferences goes away when i am 30 meter above air.. i wondering is all inspire 2 have the same problem with me ?

any reply in this would be highly appricated

I had the Same problem at a wedding over the weekend. I had my i2 next to a barn and it had this 175 ft radio tower and I was getting the same reading . Crazy as it sounds the inspire 2 gave me a compass calibration needed . I did that and it cleared up the Magnetic interference error as well and I was able to fly taking photos for the wedding.

I got this warning once when trying to take of from a grassy park, no idea why and second time when trying to take off from a concrete deck with I assume lots of reinforced steel inside?? First time I just moved the craft about 5 m further and that was enough to satisfy the compass. Second time I had to go to a completely new spot away from that deck. The warning would not go away while the craft was on that deck..
There are apps you can get for free that will measure EMF - I have one called ultimate EMF Detector. Not sure how well they work.

Have you noticed any improvements?
478808C3-CAE5-4B74-A79F-1DF3798FDB36.jpegE2C577EF-80A8-47F9-B36E-98D03561BDFB.jpegE97D3CF7-3803-4926-9882-FC9612DD0CDF.jpeg
A few months back it was impossible to take off in these same spots

No, the I2 still refuses to start motors in the presence of magnetic interference.

This isn’t a problem most of the time as a simple compass calibration will clear the compass error.

However, when I am on a metal boat, I am reluctant to perform a compass calibration as this could lead to a bad calibration, which would make flight control & safe landing on a moving vessel very risky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters