Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 uncontrollable spin

Reaction score
I had a recent flight that put my Inpsire into a constant spin. It would maintain altitude with a constant spin with no control of rotation.
Control of altitude and position worked. Yet tcintrol of position was tricky due to the constant spin.
All over water. Heart explode.
Managed to run across the road, lower the altitude, and give a bump backward every time the rear was facing me-missed a couple bumps.
Managed to land with a constant spin.

Viewed the flight record and shows the spin.
I think this was due to a quick maneuver and a glitch in the Quickspin mode.
I have turned off the feature since.
I am running the latest firmware and software.

Is there a good method to see what triggered this?
dfcf1f928936db5ffac7e9582338743c.png

Reactions: DamesNY
Hmmm, think I'd be recalibration all the sensors.... IMU and Compass, and then calibrating the RC sticks too!

It sounds like it was getting a command to rotate, either from the gimbal, or from the RC, or that the inertial measurements where out of whack! You can see if it thought it was getting stick input by enabling the sticks view on the log playback (touch the rc icon at the screen bottom and the stick commands will show) - if there's a blue bar appears in the stick icons and a %age figure next to them, it means there was a stick input. If you didn't give that input, then the sticks need calibrating from within DJI Go.

If there's no stick input showing... then something else was at fault, most likely compass and/or IMU and they need calibrating.

Glad you got it down in one piece though...

Reactions: cvanhoose
Thanks for the input. I did attempt to counter the spin with the stick with no success. The log shows it going into a spin with only forward stick input.
Do you think it could have been a reception issue even tho I had all other control of the aircraft.
This is why I thought it was a glitch with the gimbal quickspin feature.
I will attempt to load the log from the computer to see if it reveals more info.

I had a normal flight for 7minutes before the spin occurred.
I did not make any rotations to cause a quickspin.

I had a recent flight that put my Inpsire into a constant spin. It would maintain altitude with a constant spin with no control of rotation.
Control of altitude and position worked. Yet tcintrol of position was tricky due to the constant spin.
All over water. Heart explode.
Managed to run across the road, lower the altitude, and give a bump backward every time the rear was facing me-missed a couple bumps.
Managed to land with a constant spin.

Viewed the flight record and shows the spin.
I have turned off the feature since.
I am running the latest firmware and software.

Is there a good method to see what triggered this?
dfcf1f928936db5ffac7e9582338743c.png
The .DAT for this flight might reveal the cause of this incident. The .DAT is on the AC itself, not the tablet. Not sure exactly where the USB port on the Inspire 2 is but look here

How to retrieve a .DAT and here

How to retrieve a .DAT

to see how the .DAT is retrieved on a Mavic or P4. It'll be large so you need to Dropbox or GoogleDrive it and provide a link.

Same exact thing happened to me a few months ago, but all of a sudden the I2 tilted to the side and crashed. The spin was out of control. The unit was replaced by DJI for free. I have since disabled quickspin, which might have been the cause of the mess.

Control of altitude and position worked.
[...]
[...]
Had the exact same thing happen to me and I can also add that the camera was "rotated" after I recovered the drone although I only tilt up/down (photography). Last important point: I was able to regain control and stop the spinning by hitting the RHT button on the remote.

This seems like a real and recurring bug and hope we can find the source and way to avoid it!

Cheers,
Valentin

I was tempted to RTH. Was afraid it would malfunction. Thanks for the info.
I looked over the flight data and did not see anything abnormal.
I am going to keep quickspin option off until it’s needed.

Had the exact same thing happen to me and I can also add that the camera was "rotated" after I recovered the drone although I only tilt up/down (photography). Last important point: I was able to regain control and stop the spinning by hitting the RHT button on the remote.

This seems like a real and recurring bug and hope we can find the source and way to avoid it!

Cheers,
Valentin

Recurring? If you can produce this every single time, then yes I would call it reoccurring. Considering that only a few have reported this, I would say it is an anomaly that can be quite frightening. I had a similar incident where the culprit was that I took off from a metal bridge and it was confusing the on-board compass systems. I moved to a new location and the problem was solved.

Recurring? If you can produce this every single time, then yes I would call it reoccurring. Considering that only a few have reported this, I would say it is an anomaly that can be quite frightening. I had a similar incident where the culprit was that I took off from a metal bridge and it was confusing the on-board compass systems. I moved to a new location and the problem was solved.

Please limit this post to those who have had experience with this issue only. This will keep the search function optimal.

The uncontrollable spin just happened to me today! I remember seeing this post a while ago and I'm thankful it was only 100 meters away. I got the gimbal limit warning when the uncontrollable spinning began. The aircraft continued to spin until I landed. I didn't turn off the Inspire once I landed, but I turned off the quick spin function, recentered the gimbal, and took off again and it appeared to function normal. I could have probably did those things while it was in the air but I wanted to get it back on the ground safely. Be careful if you are using the quick spin function!

I had something similar wouldn't yaw right in any GPS follow modes. It would go slow and then it wouldn't stop . It was not in my settings for yaw smoothness. It was the main controller birdside that was bad . After they had it for 2 months they sent me a new one works great now only the 4th led battery status light doesn't work. I'll deal with it. Good luck with their tech support because it's horrible.

This happened to me today too. Quick spin was off but the gimbal limit was reached and it kept spinning and was unresponsive to yaw controls. I hit the rth button, landed, the recalibrate the gimbal and it seemed to be ok again. Quite worrying at the time and I wouldn't want to be out on a job with this happening.

Mine has done this twice, crazy uncontrollable spin goes away when you switch to ATTI and then back to GPS or SPORT mode.

Mine has done this twice, crazy uncontrollable spin goes away when you switch to ATTI and then back to GPS or SPORT mode.

That was the first thing I tried but it didn't work for me. I had reached the gimbal limit and the only thing that fixed it was the RTH. I suspect the gimbal yaw reset would also work, or a second remote controlling the camera.

Reached the same limit too, however i got the control back with ATTI.

M 04m 01s 189.6 ft 387 ft Mode Mode changed to Sport
N 04m 07s 253.9 ft 269 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point
O 04m 08s 254.6 ft 307 ft Warning Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
P 04m 29s 249.3 ft 421 ft Warning Landing gear lowered.Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
Q 04m 45s 248.7 ft 421 ft Mode Mode changed to Atti
R 04m 47s 249.0 ft 423 ft Warning Flight Mode Set to Atti:Set flight mode to GPS to ensure safety.
S 05m 14s 236.2 ft 123 ft Warning Warning:Abnormal compass function or GPS signal detected. Aircraft switched to ATTI mode.
T 05m 15s 236.2 ft 122 ft Mode Mode changed to Sport
U 05m 17s 236.5 ft 118 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point
V 05m 22s 226.7 ft 94 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point

btw, I dont have the the quick-spin enabled. Disabled it after the first time, so it's not that..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeganSugde