Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Wreck Inside Industrial Building

emtea, since you had a displayed compass error is it possible you experienced TBE, Toilet Bowl Effect? This is caused be the need for compass calibration The craft will fly like its riding a whirling vortex.

It is my understanding that switching to ATTI mode only helps with GPS and VP control input errors. The "compass" is never disabled.

When researching a compass problem I was told that the "compass" function of the IMU cannot be disabled on the I1. I never found a way to do it.

According to the I1 manual pg. 12, the GPS RTH function is available in ATTI with loss of RC signal. Since you had control via the RC and had a compass warning, I think you had a calibration issue with the compass and/or the entire IMU.

What function do you believe the compass has when you are in ATTI mode?

The Go App still shows which way the bird is pointing, maybe that uses the compass? I don't really know, just guessing. Not sure if it would be used for any other flight use though but a "toilet bowl effect" is exactly what I had, the drone just spun like it was caught in a vortex or wind funnel, like g36pilot said.

emtea, since you had a displayed compass error is it possible you experienced TBE, Toilet Bowl Effect? This is caused be the need for compass calibration The craft will fly like its riding a whirling vortex.

It is my understanding that switching to ATTI mode only helps with GPS and VP control input errors. The "compass" is never disabled.

When researching a compass problem I was told that the "compass" function of the IMU cannot be disabled on the I1. I never found a way to do it.

According to the I1 manual pg. 12, the GPS RTH function is available in ATTI with loss of RC signal. Since you had control via the RC and had a compass warning, I think you had a calibration issue with the compass and/or the entire IMU.

Reactions: g36pilot
What function do you believe the compass has when you are in ATTI mode?
A heading reference such as "heading hold". Otherwise when you center a yaw input it will drift.

I'm thinking the GPS is still providing position data if available for map reference and the actual compass heading value in ATTI though GPS navigation inputs are disabled. I'll check on my next flight by switching to Atti and see if the map is still displayed accurately. Pg 12 of the I1 manual states the GPS RTH feature is still available in ATTI leading me to believe this.

Edit to add: ATTI mode RTH feature is available with loss of RC signal.

The Go App still shows which way the bird is pointing, maybe that uses the compass? I don't really know, just guessing. Not sure if it would be used for any other flight use though but a "toilet bowl effect" is exactly what I had, the drone just spun like it was caught in a vortex or wind funnel, like g36pilot said.

The data from the compass may well be used to display the heading in the app, but it isn't part of the flight controls when in ATTI mode.

Standard response to encountering TBE is to switch to ATTI mode, this is why it is a concern for Mavic or Spark pilots as they have no ability to force a swtich to ATTI mode...

You said in your first post that the problem was 'wobble violently back and forth and drifting out of control', that isn't 'spinning' though, so I'm not quite sure which problem you had.. ?

A heading reference such as "heading hold". Otherwise when you center a yaw input it will drift.

I'm thinking the GPS is still providing position data if available for map reference and the actual compass heading value in ATTI though GPS navigation inputs are disabled. I'll check on my next flight by switching to Atti and see if the map is still displayed accurately. Pg 12 of the I1 manual states the GPS RTH feature is still available in ATTI leading me to believe this.

Edit to add: ATTI mode RTH feature is available with loss of RC signal.

Switching to ATTI mode doesn't turn off the GPS or compass, it simply ignores them for flight control purposes.

So if you suffer signal loss while in ATTI mode but you still have a good GPS and compass then it will still use RTH.

Similarly you will still see position and orientation information in the app while in ATTI mode if the GPS and compass are still working...

The IMU provides highly accurate rotational information so it can still stop and hold a direction after a yaw input as it can sense when it is rotating. This is no different to the FBL unit on a heli for example, it has no compass but it can still stop and hold a direction, but without a compass it doesn't know which direction it is actually holding...

Reactions: g36pilot
The data from the compass may well be used to display the heading in the app, but it isn't part of the flight controls when in ATTI mode.

Standard response to encountering TBE is to switch to ATTI mode, this is why it is a concern for Mavic or Spark pilots as they have no ability to force a swtich to ATTI mode...

You said in your first post that the problem was 'wobble violently back and forth and drifting out of control', that isn't 'spinning' though, so I'm not quite sure which problem you had.. ?

If I had to compare it to something, it was doing what a spinning top does as it slows down and "loses balance". I tried to google it and while I don't know how I feel about the music, this is nevertheless illustrative:

That doesn't sound much like TBE to be honest.

Agreed.

Doesn't TBE allow heading hold while making ever increasing radius circles as bank & pitch angles increase? It did on my couple of self induced experiences. 1.) Did not calibrate compass in new area and 2.) Compass calibration over a large power supply cable under what we thought was a clear area. It was intermittently active making diagnosis difficult.

Agreed.

Doesn't TBE allow heading hold while making ever increasing radius circles as bank & pitch angles increase? It did on my couple of self induced experiences. 1.) Did not calibrate compass in new area and 2.) Compass calibration over a large power supply cable under what we thought was a clear area. It was intermittently active making diagnosis difficult.

In that case I have no idea what happened or what TBE is. I've found youtube videos of drones and helicopters simply flying smoothly in a spiral (increasing in radius) and some that are doing what I experienced (the violent wobbling motion), all labeled or claimed to be TBE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions