Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 3 or Mavic 3 ??

Reaction score
Leaks, whispers and projections of possible new crafts M3P & I3 have come & gone multiple times.

Does appear some reliable leaks indicate the M3P is closer and possibly be more like an Inspire craft. Other older leaks share the I3 being much more capable then the I2.

With neither a reality... and those wanting in waiting. What's the wait for... a M3P or I3 ?

What would push one way or other?
How capable would a M3P have to be to entertain selling the I2 (I1 too) and have the M3P replace the I2?

What would the I3 need to have in design to make one wait after the launch of the M3P and hold for the I3.

I haven't had a difficult time resisting and not buying a MA2... have ample low usage MP, MA, M2P/Z, and M2ED... and Mini! I'm Good on Mavics pending the M3P. (A used MA2 will suffice)

I'd like to see the M3P on scale or above the EVO2 Dual with somewhat swappable cameras... I'd like M3P to have both camera and lens swap ability... that would help motivate a M3P purchase.

The I3, I'm just curious to see if it develops or if the M3 will fill both roles. If that is the outcome, I personally find that disappointing.

I'd like to see an I3 that can retain I2 cameras and expand with new camera options. Would also like to see the battery bays retain TB50/55 functionality or have a adapter that allows I2 carry over. Some would say that's self defeating marketing and I disagree, retaining Cameras, lenses, and allowing I2 batteries to adapt to I3... would encourage myself and maybe others to upgrade. The M300 is an impressive Craft, but pricey to start all over again after M210 investment: multiple TB55, 8 battery TB55 charging station, etc.

Along with M3 and I3; Also like to see a Radio like the Cendence but more Intelligent to change RF and Transmission protocols. To be applicable on LB1 up through the steps in technology to present. Easily capable with a Modular Build and common memory... the adaptable modular designs are becoming popular in several facet of electronics.

All said, I'd like both a M3P and I3. If the I3 takes a hugh jump in price... then for now the M3P till used I3's begin to appear!

I'd like to see an I3 that can retain I2 cameras and expand with new camera options. Would also like to see the battery bays retain TB50/55 functionality or have a adapter that allows I2 carry over. Some would say that's self defeating marketing and I disagree, retaining Cameras, lenses, and allowing I2 batteries to adapt to I3... would encourage myself and maybe others to upgrade.

Unfortunately, DJI doesn't do backward compatibility. They would really be breaking new ground for them if a new version used a previous version's components or accessories. Heck, they don't even let same product versions share accessories in most cases. (Think I2 and M200 payloads).

The high end RC that you describe is what the Cendence should have been. Changeable radio modules to accommodate future radio needs, if not modules for previous models, would have been brilliant and they would have sold exponentially more units, IMO. But again, of course they thought about that scheme and chose not to go that route.

I agree with you that their calculation of requiring each new model to have all new everything was (and is) a mistake in the long run. They are loosing market share that they would not have lost had they at least made attempts to integrate expensive legacy gear with their new models. But they are after the upfront $$, not the long term value for their customers. When you're the only serious game in town, you skew everything in your favor. It will be interesting to see how the other manufactures behave in this regard. DJI may have no choice but to change. Maybe the next gen stuff will be the beginning of that effort; We'll see.

Reactions: Mr.Burns.666
Unfortunately, DJI doesn't do backward compatibility. They would really be breaking new ground for them if a new version used a previous version's components or accessories. Heck, they don't even let same product versions share accessories in most cases. (Think I2 and M200 payloads).

The high end RC that you describe is what the Cendence should have been. Changeable radio modules to accommodate future radio needs, if not modules for previous models, would have been brilliant and they would have sold exponentially more units, IMO. But again, of course they thought about that scheme and chose not to go that route.

I agree with you that their calculation of requiring each new model to have all new everything was (and is) a mistake in the long run. They are loosing market share that they would not have lost had they at least made attempts to integrate expensive legacy gear with their new models. But they are after the upfront $$, not the long term value for their customers. When you're the only serious game in town, you skew everything in your favor. It will be interesting to see how the other manufactures behave in this regard. DJI may have no choice but to change. Maybe the next gen stuff will be the beginning of that effort; We'll see.
Cendence does have exchangeable RF module. Not sure if it could accomodate the Occusync or other future transmission system but it might be perhaps possible. The Cendence has been heavily underutilised and its full potential has never been reached. It might still be in the future, or so I hope...

Cendence does have exchangeable RF module. Not sure if it could accomodate the Occusync or other future transmission system but it might be perhaps possible. The Cendence has been heavily underutilised and its full potential has never been reached. It might still be in the future, or so I hope...
Agree, current Cendence does not. That would be a "desired" RC... similar to Cendence but with modularity to be very adaptable.
With RF, it'd actually be very doable if DJI wanted to provide that flexibility.

Interesting, I saw the DJI hint advertisement but didn't see all that in photo. The one I saw, gave hint to Inspire nose in drawing.

That's an interesting one... It'd go against everything that has been suggested in DJI direction.

In my humble opinion as a video drone pilot, the thing that puts the Inspire 2 ahead of any of the current Mavic or Phantom range, is the ability to change lenses, or more specifically to use longer lenses. The 100mb/s 4k image quality from the M2P or P4P is quite adequate for television news/documentary work. The downsampled (5.2k to 4k) image from the X5s does give a better quality image which is superb, but as an example, this week I was asked to provide images of Liverpool city centre to go with the current Covid storey. The most difficult thing about news flying is finding safe and legal take off spots. For this job I found a great take off on the far side of the River Mersey from the iconic Liver Building. Flying to the max 500m, the 15mm stock lens give a nice wide view which included a lot of sky and river, the 45mm Olympus on the other hand gave brilliant cinematic images of Liverpool where all the iconic buildings could clearly be distinguished. For me, if nothing else, this ability to use longer lenses and still retain superb image quality has justified the upgrade from P4P to I2. Don't get me wrong. I still love my P4P, it is a worthy back up, and because of it's portability, still possibly my favourite drone, but unless the Mavic 3 or Phantom 5 has the ability to change lenses or zoom in with no loss of image quality, it will not knock the I2 off the top spot as video drone. I3 features I would like to see.... Occusync 2, Light sync is OK but sometimes you have to trust that while what you are seeing on the screen does not look pin sharp, if you've got it right, what's on the SD or SSD will be pristine. Even better would be an even better quality/higher bitrate link to the drone for live streaming applications. At the moment, even with 1080p 10mb/s, all your movements have to be very slow and thought out otherwise severe compression artefacts can be seen, and image break up can occur unless you are at very close range..not great on BBC Breakfast

All this being said, I still believe the Inspire 2 with X5s camera to be a superb aerial filming platform. The image quality is so good from even the h264, let alone Prores, that I don't know if it needs to get better. There are improvements to the drone that would help. 360 collision avoidance, air sense , better video link quality....oh and the current FPV camera is a real token gesture. Until you get used to it, try doing anything with that quality of image, and the way it rocks around is enough to make any pilot loose control of their **** sphincter. If you're listening DJI these are my suggestions, and I'd be happy to test any prototypes.

@Antwarrior agree totally, The I2 main benifits are lens & camera interchangeability. The 12mm f2 Zuiko is a favorite sharpe wide lens and the Laowa 9mm on X7 is extreme flat ultra wide. (The Laowa on the X5S is a bit more problematic)

If the M3 provided MFT and interchangeability... and had the payload ability to handle other lenses... that would be a plus!

The one area I find my I2's a little under the M2 series is stability in the air. The I2 moves about compared to the M2... associated to weight or newer electronics?

Your comments on video transmission is another I2 shortfall compared to M2.

Can't argue the "teaser" ad hints Phantom, but I feel with the portability of the Mavic series, that might not be best direction. I'd like to see a M3 in the scale close to a I2. Let the Mavic Air series remain in the small platform and the M3P grow in size to handle I2 cameras and additional models... including the X2 and other Thermals. Always a bit disappointing the I2 couldn't continue using the XT... one reason the I1 continues to live on.

With M3 growth... I'd like to see the I3 increase in size, payload weight, and batteries... dual or quad.

Last edited:
Rumour has it these are M300 payloads, mapping camera on the left and lidar on the right (dots can be seen around the shape on the right)
Rumors... tis rumors that pointed out the Inspire nose too... DJI entertainment... We'll know on 14th.
If it's all M300 releases, they're addressing one of their smallest client base.
I'd say it's more Prosumer or Retail to their larger base.

Rumour has it these are M300 payloads, mapping camera on the left and lidar on the right (dots can be seen around the shape on the right)

Yepp the October release was the DJI Zenmuse L1 & P1 payloads for the Matrice 300 which will be coming in Q1 2021.

Another release tomorrow (December 15th) from DJI Enterprise.

The Inspire Series product line is managed by the consumer side of DJI so any release/announcements would come from DJI Global or the consumer side and not DJI Enterprise.

Well that's good news!
Wasn't aware of that... that won't probably be a new Mavic Ent because the M3 hasn't been announced on Consumer side. So more towards the M300 most likely.

Just watched the Ronin 4D launch video. The X9 camera looks impressive. Anybody else think an I3 might be coming down the line to take the X9 to an aerial platform?

Just watched the Ronin 4D launch video. The X9 camera looks impressive. Anybody else think an I3 might be coming down the line to take the X9 to an aerial platform?

I think probably not. DJI hasn't really brought new features to older products, they tend to sell new stuff. Unless the I3 is cancelled or not coming out then maybe they would offer the X9 for the I2. But probably not. Has anything new come out for the I2 since launch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth